shirleys bay ramp

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: shirleys bay ramp

Post by CCLad »

I certainly wasn't trying to put the fear of banks into anyone. I maybe wrong as well but it was stuck in my mind that it was a g note a day. maybe it was up to a 1000 per day... any how I would lean towards what the lad from the MNR said (150) and not my sketchy memory!...... Mostly you can thank the NCC for dropping those boulder's in place and creating 1 access point (as opposed to the 100 yard flat rock shore that used to be available.... But I digress

This year has been a poor hard water season with respect to our fish #'s. Mostly because we couldn't move the hut and its present location all but stopped producing any decent fishing nights about a month a go. That said, still didn't mind the relaxed feeling you get in the hut when the wood stove is fired up....

I'm guessing (have the actual number in the hut) but we ended up with approx. 32-37 walleye/sauger caught this season. Of course of that total maybe 8-10 were "keepers" (mostly all released) 1 - 1.5lbs and the rest small. The in ability to move certainly effected the total catch this year.

Good luck to all on their endeavors removing their huts/trailers.... where there is a will.......
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Got the entrance plowed out and a road out the the right, we cut it back to the left toward the main cluster of shacks but its not going to last long with this storm...
Got my shack off with a little spinning at the top of the ramp, otherwise was easy going.
If anyone needs a hand pulling their shack or plowing if we dont get the skid steer this weekend shoot me a text.
613-806-4129 (jay)

Tight lines lads!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I think it's safe to say you won't get much of a fine if you get it off. It's when they have to go out in April to get your numbers because it's too late you'll get a visit.

RJ
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Jholder wrote:Got my shack off with a little spinning at the top of the ramp, otherwise was easy going.
If anyone needs a hand pulling their shack or plowing if we don't get the skid steer this weekend shoot me a text.
613-806-4129 (jay)
Jay that's awful good of you to help folks out. I'm sure it's well appreciated. :greetings-clappingorange: :handgestures-thumbup: As for the slippery ramp that'd be the perfect spot for the wood burning guys to spread their ashes. Nothing better.
CCLad wrote:I certainly wasn't trying to put the fear of banks into anyone. I maybe wrong as well but it was stuck in my mind that it was a g note a day. maybe it was up to a 1000 per day... any how I would lean towards what the lad from the MNR said (150) and not my sketchy memory!...... Mostly you can thank the NCC for dropping those boulder's in place and creating 1 access point (as opposed to the 100 yard flat rock shore that used to be available....
Tim I think your memory is correct there but I'm fairly sure it's for vehicles that go through the ice leaking gas or oil etc into the watershed, or something like that oil spill that was polluting Poole creek in Stittsville a few years back. As for the stupid placement of those boulders, perhaps the NCC could be approached to do something about it, as it is counter productive for sure. Don't know why they did it in the first place other than stopping boats from launching there. Even if they just moved some of them it would surely help.
CCLad wrote:I'm guessing (have the actual number in the hut) but we ended up with approx. 32-37 walleye/sauger caught this season. Of course of that total maybe 8-10 were "keepers" (mostly all released) 1 - 1.5lbs and the rest small. The in ability to move certainly effected the total catch this year.
Now admittedly I haven't fished there near as much since I moved out of Ottawa, but I've been quite surprised at the amount of Sauger being caught out there now. Sure we used to get the odd one (most always smaller), but by far the majority were Walleye. And it usually wasn't until February that we would start catching more of those smaller "jacks", with plenty of good eater size fish in the 15"-20" range. My best year out there included 3 beauties over 25". But as you said, the lack of mobility can greatly affect that. Fortunately that was never much of a problem for us as we were in the best area in the bay IMO, with close access to 10-15ft of water. Plus, we didn't have a shack, so we weren't ever anchored to one spot. Now this year might have been really tough to get out there without a road plowed, even with a 4x4. Not a good winter for you guys.

Any pressure cracks out there any more? Some years there used to be some dandy ones out there, mostly out further. Even saw open water out there one time that we had to take a good detour around.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:I think it's safe to say you won't get much of a fine if you get it off. It's when they have to go out in April to get your numbers because it's too late you'll get a visit. RJ
Rob, in a normal world you'd like to think so, but the MNR guy I spoke to was quite sure that there would be no grace period, to the point that they were given a memo to that effect. Plus we all know how the Libs like their revenue streams, so I can easily envision them checking out the major fishing areas come March 16.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

smitty55 wrote:
RJ wrote:I think it's safe to say you won't get much of a fine if you get it off. It's when they have to go out in April to get your numbers because it's too late you'll get a visit. RJ
Rob, in a normal world you'd like to think so, but the MNR guy I spoke to was quite sure that there would be no grace period, to the point that they were given a memo to that effect. Plus we all know how the Libs like their revenue streams, so I can easily envision them checking out the major fishing areas come March 16.

Cheers
This. lol the world is funded by deadlines and taxes...they will bend ya. I think its just a 1 time fine of 150 though here. some states have a 100-150 a day rate but not 100% sure on ours.
Just in from helping remove my neighbor "the possum lodge" all went relatively decent...

Snow falling now isnt too heavy yet so possibly if canam04 or someone is able to maintain/work off what i opened up today it maybe a tad easier for the rest of you, please be careful and use discretion out there. the rocks are still showing a bit and vehicles getting stucks that didnt have a chance in the first place doesnt help being able to traverse it either.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

is there enough room for trailers to get off the ice now?
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

tbone1088 wrote:is there enough room for trailers to get off the ice now?
Pulled 2 off already Tbone, myn is about 80"wide and was room too spare.
Getting to your front door on the other hand MAY be a different story depending on which trailer you are.
Was out this evening and road is still very traverse-able but starting to drift shut in a couple spots.
Fkawee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fkawee »

Hey guys :-)
Any chance a jeep tj rubicon stock
Can make it out there fer some fishing?
Got a day off tomorrow, hoping to git out there
Without walking. ..... ok I'm old....grumble...
Cheers all.
Jholder
Participant
Participant

Post by Jholder »

Fkawee wrote:Hey guys :-)
Cheers all.
Would be no problem at all, just take it easy where the road crosses the rocks.
You could park at the"opening" at the end or where our shacks where to avoid blocking the road as its not wide incase anyone is headed out to their shack.

Good Luck!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

smitty55 wrote:

Cheers
I know up our way they don't check on squat until they get a call telling them there's unattended shacks still on the ice. Those calls don't start coming in until April sometimes.

Of course that's what he's going to tell you... :lol: He can't say, bah don't worry about it.

RJ
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Did a bit of digging and as previously posted the fine is 150 for late removal. Here is a link I got from MNR with a list of fines.... Hut coming down tomorrow - sad day really!
http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do- ... dule-17-6/
Fkawee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fkawee »

Jholder wrote:
Fkawee wrote:Hey guys :-)
Cheers all.
Would be no problem at all, just take it easy where the road crosses the rocks.
You could park at the"opening" at the end or where our shacks where to avoid blocking the road as its not wide incase anyone is headed out to their shack.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the heads up and of course your (and every one else's) efforts for keeping the roadway open.
Cheers and tight lines.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Hut coming down tomorrow - sad day really!
True dat Tim. But some real nice weather coming next week and with the time change it will be light until way past seven. Won't need the shack to stay warm. Still some fine fishing to be had.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I hear ya Smitty! I hope to get out for a few more evenings! Well off to take her down!