New PB Ottawa river crappie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: New PB Ottawa river crappie

Post by Big Bass 444 »

So,that said I will put something on the table here since I finally got a reply that would lead to it...now this 14 + crappie was what?..10?..12 years old?..which in theory was almost at the end of it's life cycle right?..this is about how long they live.Taking into account it was a female and had a year left to live (maybe) to be in a spawning mode ...do you think it would be better to release a 8 to 10 inch female that will have lot more years of spawning in front of her???..which would mean a lot more eggs right?..and maybe better spawning conditions at times depending on the years it will be alive?...I wanna get people's opinion on this..could be interesting ...how many eggs a 10 inch female crappie is spawning each year??.how much is a 14.5 female spawning each? What is the success rate between the 2...what would be the impact of keeping a 14 inch crappie versus 10 inch female over the next let's say ...10 years?...anybody has a clue?
Last edited by Big Bass 444 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Thanks for the response I appreciate it and glad we can chat about things in an adult manner. That is good for this website that two people can come to agreement and I think it shows the Power of Fish-Hawk, LOL.

IN fact, That is actually pretty awesome that those slabs are "normal" sized - You are definitely doing something right (or a lot of things right) with how you are targeting them.

I think this is my problem with not being in to Crappie, I just haven't been able to refine and make adjustments to catch them, plus I always catch bass with ease, so why change. BUT, now you have me thinking, with all the fishing on the Ottawa River I do, maybe it's time I try focusing a little on the slabs, especially if they are the behemoths you are catching... and yes I will even keep a few to eat as well.

So, there you have it folks - I'm going to target some Crappie this spring on the O R - looking forward to yet another great adventure.

Tight lines,

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Those things are like classy dinnerware plates!

E
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Here is some info on crappies.

Black crappie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_crappie

White crappie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_crappie

They say that a 9'' black crappie is about 3 years old and a 10'' crappie 4 years old. They mature between 2-4 years old. The life span of a black crappie is up to 8 years old (with some that have better genetics that could live longer). This specie will expand quickly and in some States, there is a minimum 9'' or 10'' size before you can harvest the fish. Since the life span of a crappie is not long compared let's say to the life of a bass then it is more acceptable to eat the bigger crappies.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Glad that was handled with everyone having their big boy pants on... :lol:

Christian, that info is for US. Ontario Out of Doors posted age to size ratio of Crappie in Ontario. It looked nothing like that and if memory serves it would take much longer for a fish to reach 14 inches, 10 plus years.

RJ

P.S. For the record I busted Yan's balls a bit on Facebook about keeping them but it was in jest and he knew it. Most people see all Panfish as junk fish or food so keeping them of any size doesn't even register with some. To the guys that are in search of a true 15 incher it's tough to watch em go in pails but nobody made me god to tell people what to do.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thanks for the info RJ. I guess then that the crappie is more suitable for our climate than in the US if it lives that much longer. :?:
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Hopefully it didn't taste like something that has been living in a toilet bowl for 13 years! :mrgreen:
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Nice fish, Nice report.
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

I still think they should lower the limit down to half of what it is right now....15 maybe!

BTW even if I don't mention anything about the location of where these crappies are coming from...chances are 60% or more knows where it is and they have a good idea precisely where the spot is located....and this weekend they will be there and it's all good. I hope they have success in there. I got comments about it ...some saying....Man! thought the place was fished out!...other saying that crappie fishing as been very slow in there for the past few years. I believe and I have confidence that the anglers that are reading this and the ones on Facebook that are friends with my page will respect the concept of conservation if they ever go...and that's if they find them of course :lol: . I did my part doing this. I kept some fish because I will eat them and I love to eat them but most went back in the way it's suppose to be.

Took the "J" ster there once and I remember everybody having a blast. We took some back with us but most went back in....was a good day...in 20 years from now I am positive that there will still be good days in there as well!...now look at this bunch of happy clowns!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

You are telling me that the place is close by....hmmmmm. :shock:

:lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

That's a beast Yan. Congrats on the PB. Only ever heard of one other that size caught on the Ottawa River by Justin Hoffman and it was posted here.

Welcome back to the Hawk Talk, always loved the positive vibes man!
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Yep! And I know you will be there this weekend Gervy'ster...good luck finding them!..lool!.. :lol: ..didn't know you had join FH!...well as an old timer I say welcome to our dear apprentice! :wink:
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Big Bass 444 wrote:Yep! And I know you will be there this weekend Gervy'ster...good luck finding them!..lool!.. :lol: ..didn't know you had join FH!...well as an old timer I say welcome to our dear apprentice! :wink:
LOL, thanks. Will be there for sure like I always am but will not the in the crappie hole. Too lazy to walk over there. :lol:

I'll stay on the right side and just catch perch and some occasional pike :wink:
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

All good dude!....Man! was actually thinking about this Old timer status I gave myself just now!...Gee!..been a long time!..I had hair back in 03 and I was running around the bay with a chain of bass!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I even wonder if Chevy was born yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....Rob was dreaming of Shimano at the time :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Andrew and Anthony looked like they were 11 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....those were the days man!..time flies for sure!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kindly guys! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Big Bass 444 wrote:All good dude!....Man! was actually thinking about this Old timer status I gave myself just now!...Gee!..been a long time!..I had hair back in 03 and I was running around the bay with a chain of bass!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I even wonder if Chevy was born yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....Rob was dreaming of Shimano at the time :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Andrew and Anthony looked like they were 11 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....those were the days man!..time flies for sure!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kindly guys! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Those were the days you were putting 5 lb McBay Largies on a stringer to drag em all back to the dock for a pic... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chevy was still putting hockey cards in his bike spokes to be cool... :lol:

The ABC's were 11... :lol: :lol:

Shimano for me? Yup. Worked out OK. :lol:

We've all come a long way!

RJ