Little Quinte, Big Results

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Little Quinte, Big Results

Post by Yannick Loranger »

The fish were everywhere but nowhere, and were biting everything but nothing today. We were never able to pinpoint a sweet spot or a lure du jour, but in the end, it didn't really matter. After our last 2 attemps to guide the spot I call Little Quinte were foiled by our guests last minute work obligations, everything fell into place for a group of 6 to join me on a spot that hasn't disappointed yet this year. This group covered a wide array of levels of experience and places of origin. Ranging from an Eastern European on his first ice fishing trip, to a experienced summer angling Costa Rican looking for a Canadian experience, to a regular client who had bested his walleye PB on his last trip with me in January and would ultimately surpass that PB again on this day.

Two minutes in, Greg gets a 2lber. The start of a good day. A few minutes later, John yells out, ''I got something''. Rod doubled over, drag screaming, surely an OOS sturgeon or muskie I tell him, and to my surprise 2 big eyeballs and a rounded yap full of teeth appears...whoa BIG WALLEYE! His first fish on ice, is a 27'' beauty that took a small Swedish Pimple and minnow head while he had a 12'' sauger in his throat!

An hour later, as we're chatting Greg lifts to jig. His arm goes up, but the rod tip stays where it is. FISH ON. After another strong tussle, I reach in and pull out a 25'' incher. Another PB. This one a jig head.

If there's one guest that I really wanted to have a banner day it was JP. JP the experienced angler from Costa Rica just wanted one fish on ice. To this point, Little Quinte had only produced a few light hits until he alerts us of some big weight holding on to his Jigging Rap. JP played the fish expertly, and it's a good thing because as the fish's snout came out of the water the Jigging Rap flew out, luckily I got a good grip on the fish before it was able to slip away. The result a 27'' inch chunk of gold for JP.

Brian, a veritable fish magnet both on the boat and on the ice was at this point off the scoreboard until he made the wise decision to start jigging in our shallowest hole. Within seconds, Brian springs up from his chair and sets the hook on another rod bender. After another harder than usual fight his green nuckleball jig firmly implanted in the roof of another big walleye's mouth appears. A new PB for Brian and the coveted 10lbs + walleye.

One of the most rewarding days of guiding I've ever enjoyed.

Tight lines guys and gals!
Yannick
Last edited by Yannick Loranger on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
reboot
Participant
Participant

Re: Little Quinte, Big Results

Post by reboot »

Wow those are all beautiful fish!!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

That sure was one sick outing right there! :shock: Congrats to all for icing those beasts.

Oh beautiful Little Quinte, you sound so very tempting... :character-ariel:
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

That looks like a great time! Way to go Yan!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

WOW. That's pretty amazing Yannick. Good for you man, and your clients. Nice to nail them when they're on the feed bag. Specially during the day, you are really tuned in to your area waters. Who'd a thunk that a 6 lb Walleye would be feasting on a 12" Sauger, and then still hit a little tidbit like a small pimp. Wild!!

Yan, you might want to consider doing something to change the angle of your pics, as they show a lot of backgrounds and could pinpoint your spot. I like that you're always willing to share techniques, but no need to give out too much chum. While I'm not a big proponent of doing the photoshop thing, and it ruins the pic, you seem to have a special honey hole there, that paying customers get to fish. Even the gps coordinates can be found in the metadata of some pics, there are proggy's to fix that before posting. Just sayin...

Btw, that's a neat wee shack close to shore behind JP's pics. Wood stove too. Have you ever checked it out?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

WOW. That's pretty amazing Yannick. Good for you man, and your clients. Nice to nail them when they're on the feed bag. Specially during the day, you are really tuned in to your area waters. Who'd a thunk that a 6 lb Walleye would be feasting on a 12" Sauger, and then still hit a little tidbit like a small pimp. Wild!!

Yan, you might want to consider doing something to change the angle of your pics, as they show a lot of backgrounds and could pinpoint your spot. I like that you're always willing to share techniques, but no need to give out too much chum. While I'm not a big proponent of doing the photoshop thing, and it ruins the pic, you seem to have a special honey hole there, that paying customers get to fish. Even the gps coordinates can be found in the metadata of some pics, there are proggy's to fix that before posting. Just sayin...

Btw, that's a neat wee shack close to shore behind JP's pics. Wood stove too. Have you ever checked it out?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

smitty55 wrote: Yan, you might want to consider doing something to change the angle of your pics, as they show a lot of backgrounds and could pinpoint your spot. I like that you're always willing to share techniques, but no need to give out too much chum. While I'm not a big proponent of doing the photoshop thing, and it ruins the pic, you seem to have a special honey hole there, that paying customers get to fish. Even the gps coordinates can be found in the metadata of some pics, there are proggy's to fix that before posting. Just sayin...

Cheers
Actually the photos have been cropped to eliminate two very obvious landmarks. Access to this spot is a pain and it's one of those spot on the spot kind of places. If someone wants to put in the legwork to get to the spot, then good for them, they've earned their shot at a trophy.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Wow thats some giant fish!

Way to go Yan :handgestures-thumbupright:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Natch09
Participant
Participant

Post by Natch09 »

Wow , what an awesome outing for you and your clients Yan . Would love to have a day like that .Thx for sharing .Cheers Greg .
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Some beauties right there Yan! Nice work.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Boo yah Yan! Yet another bunch of happy guests! Good work man an beauty fish.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Looks like you guys struck gold. Glad JP got his wish. He'll always remember that day and that fish, I'm sure.

Nice going!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Beauties!! The Ottawa and Rideau have been producing some big girls this year at some of the new spots I've been scouting. Great to see your having a good year as well, those are some happy customers :D
Cy