Musky killer Sentenced

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Musky killer Sentenced

Post by Doug »

Fairly stiff fine, as fines go for fishing offences, and two years ban is fairly stiff also. Add in the public humiliation...........and the guy has taken ownership of his actions and shown remorse. I think it is a VERY just sentence.

Of course some folks would like to see him boiled in oil, but you know what? That is a summary conviction offence, like distracted driving. A BONE-HEAD texting whilst driving is highly likely to kill somebody because of their chosen activity. This guy killed a fish. There is an order of magnitude of difference there, but both are summary conviction offences and this guy got a sentence on the high side of what might be considered "normal."

I believe that justice has been done. JMOYMV

Doug
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

I agree it is a pretty good sentence....mostly

But...

#1 - I find it very difficult to believe that a guy of this character won't just go fishing anyway. He has likely been doing crap like this sine his conception and this is the first he got caught, so the risk is minimal. 5 year ban would have been nice and heightened the risk of getting caught.

#2 - He is on social assistance ie: welfare. Guaranteed he goes back in-front of the courts with a lawyer paid for by our taxes, pleads hardship, and gets the fine significantly reduced or thrown out all together. Never the less he collects our tax dollars to pay for imposed fines, that are a result of an investigation and court ruling that likely cost 20g's in our taxes. We still lose to this moron.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Relic wrote:I agree it is a pretty good sentence....mostly

But...

#2 - He is on social assistance ie: welfare. Guaranteed he goes back in-front of the courts with a lawyer paid for by our taxes, pleads hardship, and gets the fine significantly reduced or thrown out all together. Never the less he collects our tax dollars to pay for imposed fines, that are a result of an investigation and court ruling that likely cost 20g's in our taxes. We still lose to this moron.
I'm with you on that, Relic. So true...

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

We don't personally know the guy so saying he would do one thing or the other is just heresay. I do believe however, that if he has been fishing his whole life, he is more likely to ignore the ban and go fishing anyways. I would take all of his tackle, rods and boat, then say if he is caught fishing during his probation he is banned for life. Also it would be nice if the CO's could check up on him from time to time to see if he has any "fishing paraphanelia" in his home LOL." I swear it's not mine officer I was holding it for a friend!!!"
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That's the kicker Tbone,

The boat he was caught in, wasn't even his!!!