Frozen smelt?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Frozen smelt?

Post by Tip-up »

Does anyone know one can get there hands on frozen smelt or may have seen them in the freezers anywhere? Not ciscoe or herring, but smelt specifically.

Can't find anything at the grocers or fish markets and have been looking for some time.

Thanks
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Frozen smelt?

Post by smitty55 »

Hmmm... Try touching base with any QC contacts you may have. Places like the outdoor store in Gracefield, or before I would have said to see Bob in the Kaz, rest his soul, that may have some left from last year.
I'm interested on why it has to be smelt?? Lakers on a certain lake come ice out maybe?

Good luck finding them. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

I used to get mine at the International Grocery on bank but I think they are closed for renovations now but ai would try calling them. I also know Mclleland in Poltimore had some this year as that's where Jamie buys them. Good luck buddy!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Ok thanks guys.

I have an aunt who lives in Poltimore Derek, will give her a shout this morning.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Frozen Smelt in Ottawa can be purchased at:

Kowloon Market on Somerset - They typically have two versions. Head on or Head-Off.

T&T (Hunt-Club near the airport) - They usually have three or four varieties including different sizes. Quality is usually better too.

I break up the bags into groups of 6 fish, and re-package them in food-saver bags. That way I can just grab a couple when I go out fishing, instead of having the whole bag turn into a single fused blob :-)

Most of the stuff being sold is caught in Canada. Occasionally I see stuff from Poland too, but I don't use it.

My biggest problem with this "frozen bait"... my kids LOVE IT!!! Everytime I buy a bag the kids end up sniffing around asking if I can fry some up for them. The house stinks for a full week... but damn they're good!!!
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

I happened to notice many bags at the new Maxi (Grocery store) on Vanier Rd, just North of new HWY in Aylmer.

Size of smelts of 7-8 inches. About 10 per bag. Can't recall the price
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Nah you wouldn't want them smelt from the T&T store with the heads still on. ;)
Think I payed like $5.00 for a 2 lb bag.
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

EagleEyesFlash wrote:Nah you wouldn't want them smelt from the T&T store with the heads still on. ;)
Think I payed like $5.00 for a 2 lb bag.
Is there something T&T doesn’t carry? :?

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!