Brown town

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Brown town

Post by Tip-up »

It's been a while. For those of you that don't know or remember what the trout Grand Slam is, here is a little refresher.

A little while back a few of us on the board made it a goal to catch one of each of the 5 species of inland trout available in our region. Splake, lake trout, brook trout, brown trout and rainbow trout. To complete the Grand Slam one would have to catch at least one of each species of trout, the kicker being is to have them all under your belt in one season of ice fishing! Totally possible right?

Since 09' a few of us have come so close to completing the slam. Lakers and splake being the easiest to knock off while bows and brookies proved to be much more tricky and temperamental. At the end of every season there was always one that's haunted and eluded myself and the lads...

The elusive brown.

5 previous attempts for brownies since then have resulted in skunks. Not complete skunks, but trout skunks. The ones that have you thinking to yourself at the end of the day, what the &$@k am I doing out here but leave the lake already planning on how to attack it the next time. Those of you who fish backcountry water as much as I do know the research and work involved finding, and getting to the trout in the winter...you just keep pushing. And then you have to catch'em. I gave up on the browns in recent years to fill a lake trout addiction.

It all changed pretty quick this past weekend during an outing Anthony and I planned back around Christmas with our buddy Tom hopping on board a few weeks ago. Arrived in brown town late last Thursday with high hopes, some local intel and little knowledge of the lake. Some planning was done in the months leading up to the weekend but the final locations were all picked during dinner the evenings before by scouring paper maps, Google Earth and our Navionics.

Fishing was slow over the 3 days fished. We all knew going into the weekend it wasn't going to be a smash fest but felt confident we could figure out a program with the time we had. It wasn't long before 3 Grand Slam cherry's were popped in very short order. A mix of perch and OOS lakers kept things interesting while waiting for flags to pop. It was a morning I won't forget for a while. Had the first fish on before getting all set-up, it was pretty awesome watching the first brown come top side, and more so a relief. Success!

Anthony took first flag that was on Bl8ants homemade Ice Rigger. Similar to the HT Rigger, just with the added 'Luck'

That first trout alone made the weekend, but there were two more Slams to fill and they came quick. I was next up. Hand lining it, the fish fought hard right up until I had it in my hands.

Not long after landing my first brown, the same tip-up fired and it was decided that Tom was get this fish top side and hammer the tripple slammer.

We were fortunate to have had such a magical morning after blanking out on the first day. With winter winding down quick, it was almost looking like another season was going to pass without seeing a brown. A Nor'easter swallowed us Saturday night and right into Sunday, and the fish turned right off.

Trout fishing - It's the way she goes.

Some more pics from the weekend...All fish were released after photos.

Nice bow

Shack was definitely NOT necessary most of the time

Morning people

Fish-Trapped

Andrew
Last edited by Tip-up on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Brown town

Post by smitty55 »

Wow, those are gorgeous fish. WTG guys, and congrats on the releases. Don't think I would have be able to not keep one anyway.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

BEAUTY BROWNS!! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Those are fantastic Browns! Awesome fishing fellas.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Brow Town indeed....great fishing guys. Are they tough to get to go, or do they just show up and smash it?
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Very jealous, those are some beauty brownies lads hats off!
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

Wow, beautiful fish boys!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Really cool contest! Way to go!
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

First class report. Congrats.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Beauty Browns boys!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice to see you fellas back on FH and sharing some reports.

Browns are just a cool lookin fish!

RJ
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Wicked looking browns man
Cy
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Congrats on the slam boys! Beauty brownies right there!!! Hard work and persistence usually pays off as eventually you get rewarded and sometimes in a huge way!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Some gorgeous browns right there!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice trout guys :D .