Cornwall Weekend

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Cornwall area

Post by Seaweed »

Al I would fish below the dam on the St. Lawrence. I would not venture out above the dam because there is a lot of land that was flooded up there and a lot of it is very shallow and you have to know the water to enjoy fishing there.

East of the dam though is a body of water called Lake St. Francis and it offers up great pike, bass, walleye and muskie fishing. The Perch there are also some great fishing and very tasty. I would launch from Lancaster and fish around there. You will enjoy yourself out there for sure.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Al the main shipping channel is marked but everything else isn't... There's a lot of unmarked shoals and varying depths. There's also areas with quite a bit of fast water... I know some do really well below the dam but personally i've done a lot better above the dam.

I wouldn't say the shoals are worse above the dam i fish there a fair bit. There are areas to avoid but if you use a little restraint instead of just bombing through unknown areas then you'll be fine.

Lake St. Francis is quite an open area and if you get the right wind it can be fairly rough. A lot of boats fish out from lancaster on the sand flats for perch.. just look for the other boats :wink:

If you fancy another area above the dam drive to Long Sault about 15 mins west of cornwall and fish the islands that make up the long sault parkway. There's a couple of launches inside the parkway itself that are usable but not great and it's only about $3-4 to get in... if you get there before 7am then no one is around so it's free... I'll be down there on saturday fishing for bass/pike...

Again there is shallow water but buy a $25 map or just take it easy... i've never fished for walleye there but apparently it can be good... but i'd be no help there.
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Post by LouisD33 »

Al launch @ Raisin River Marina in Lancaster. Stay in hte Raisin River and you will be able to catch bas and walleye along with some assorted panfish. Just launch and head north, if you stay in the middle of the river there is no problem spots until you get past the 401 bridge. Once you get past the bridge the river takes a left turn. Just follow along until you see the nect bridge just keep to the middle of the river. About half way to the railway bridge there are some rocks inthe middle of the river.This is where caution is needed. Just go easy and you will be fine. The whole shoreline around the area holds Bass and there are several side channels (man made ) that hold bass and panfish. You can find Pike as well and I have seen lots of longnose gar there as well.

Hope this helps and good luck. I would offer to show you around a bit but as it turns out I'm going to be in Ottawa on Sat.
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

cornwall

Post by boogie »

Al, if you plan on putting in at Lancaster, here's a few spots. Go south until you met the channel, head west and the first island there is Squaw Island. It's a good spot for walleyes from red to red buoy either drifting or trolling. You can also cross the channel and fish the shoreline there for some eyes also. If you look on your map, as you exit the river from the marina there if beautiful shoreline there for largies on your right hand side. If you turn left there's a flat by westley's that is very good for smallies. Hope this helps, good luck and let us know how you made out.
I'll be out there on Saturday (Lund Mr. Pike with 115 Yamaha).

Boogie
Boogie
Poisson On !