Biggest reason you don't fish tournaments.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Biggest reason you don't fish tournaments.

Post by PunchRig »

I grew up in Florida, and bass tourneys are everywhere, i'm like some guys, just got burnt out on bass, and i loved saltwater fishing better in those days,,,,, since i've lived here for the last 10 years,, i've fished some sebo's ,and some events in NY/Vt, but never had time to join a club, or get real serious, , even tho' i fish every wknd., somewhere,plus my partner moved from NY to Ga., so kinda' far to commute,, i'll fish a bunch this year, but the only one i get excited about is RJ's, i've alway's liked the hourly payout format, (wish he'd have 2-3/year), IMO, i think tourney fishing ontario wide, is light years ahead of where it was 10 yrs ago,Alot of ppl. Are into it, the only time it gets expensive is when you start fishing and prefishing over 200 miles from home, and you get into those $500+ entry fees., motels, etc.,be ready for that, if you are thinking FLW, it's a great thing, but will get expensive competing, and there will be alot of big water, like Erie,quinte, simcoe etc., so, 21' boat, is marginal, at best when those waterbodies get snotty,but , on the brightside, you can win a tourney on white lake on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, on a sunny warm day., you just need to start small, or like you said, become a co-angler, and see if it's for you. And fyi, the chances for even KVD to win a major event aren't a whole lot more than any local guy with a hot stick, on any given day, there are alot of pro's that don't place in the $$, and would be considered "donors",alot of days. Just think $10k entry fee and don't even catch 5 fish all day, lol, happens alot
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

One reason that I'm starting to look into fishing some local tournaments is to test my skill against other people that aren't my dad :P he is pretty good at catching them and still out fishes me most outings. I'm also super competitive so anything that has competition I'm in. I fished the Pro-am last year and loved everything about it especially blast off what a way to get the blood going in the morning. We are very fortunate that there is are many options around eastern Ontario I don't mind spending a couple bucks to fish em cause it supports something i love to do. Do i have the best boat? nope but I think i have a suitable boat for where I am right now. Am i a little intimidated when I see some of the other boats that people have and the gear they have yes but does it make me want to beat them absolutely I'm always up for a challenge. Will i be going to fish St lawrence or anywhere past missippi not this year but there are many tournaments within that distance so am not that worried about.

Brian
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

BTW Brian, I answered your question :'' Bigget reason you don't fish tournaments''. Now I also have lots of reasons why I do fish lots of tournaments :wink: .
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

You can always get a good tan when on the water no matter how you are fishing.
Heisenbass
Participant
Participant

Post by Heisenbass »

FishingFreak13 wrote:You can always get a good tan when on the water no matter how you are fishing.
Except for me, it's more like a massive sun burn!! :oops:
Martin
BAA 2016 - Team 22
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

I fish to get away from the rat race, not compete in it! :P
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I can't answer this. I fish tournaments.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Well since I asked in one directions lets flip it what made you get into tournament fishing and whats keeping you in tournament fishing?

Brian
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

FishingFreak13 wrote:Well since I asked in one directions lets flip it what made you get into tournament fishing and whats keeping you in tournament fishing?

Brian
I'll leave this one for the Maverick to answer.
I hate to write long drawn out answers on these forums.
Maverick is more patient and can probably do a quick write up. 8)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

FishingFreak13 wrote:Well since I asked in one directions lets flip it what made you get into tournament fishing and whats keeping you in tournament fishing?

Brian
If ANYONE answers that question with the response of "money" I'll buy them a calculator... :lol:

RJ
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

RJ wrote:
If ANYONE answers that question with the response of "money" I'll buy them a calculator... :lol:

RJ
Nothing wrong with answering "money" to that question. You have to spend it somewhere. :wink:
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Comrade die is the big thing for me. Ms Bassin gave me a taste of what can be. A bunch of guys with a common interest and after competing all day, having some time talking about how we all did is rewarding.

Competition: which guy doesn't like a little competition every once in a while.

Both of these reasons are what started me thinKing about joining OVSB
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Time, Boat and money.

Hardly get time to go out fishing as it is.

Haven't got the right boat.

Can't figure out how to justify spending XXXXX $ on fees just for a days out fishing... where there is a 'must' be ready... 'must' be back by and a whole hella-lotta rules that I don't have time to read! Don't forget the travel, gas and hotels/food. The list grows long....
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Biggest reason I don't fish tournaments...

It'd mean giving up summer fishing vacations... and the job too.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

RJ wrote:

Brian

RJ