Mahi-mahi in Punta Cana

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CarpNewfie
Participant
Participant

Mahi-mahi in Punta Cana

Post by CarpNewfie »

Mahi-mahi, or Dorado
Mahi-mahi, or Dorado
Dorado 2.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3363 times
I was in Punta Cana last week and went fishing with a Canadian owned and operated company call Gone Fishing Punta Cana, and I caught this mahi-mahi. This fish put up an amazing fight. It jumped 8 or 9 times, displaying brilliant blue, green, and silver hues, and it had lots of endurance. It took me about 20-25 minutes to land it, and I was soaked from head to toe in sweat when done. It was one of the best, if not THE best, fishing experiences of my life, and I've done a lot of fishing during the last 30 or so years. I've caught salmon, trout, bass, pike, musky, walleye, cod, etc., but nothing fought like this mahi-mahi.

The guys at Gone Fishing Punta Cana know what they are doing, and where to go to get fish. The day I went there was me and 6 Americans, and our boat caught 4 mahi-mahi, and one of the Americans lost a wahoo. We were fishing from 1 of the 4 40 foot boats Gone Fishing Punta Cana has at their disposal. If you plan on going to Punta Cana anytime, I highly recommend you reach out to Gone Fishing Punta Cana to arrange a fishing excursion. Have a look at their Face Book page to see lots of pics of mahi-mahi that their clients have caught. There's also a picture of a marlin that someone caught.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Mahi-mahi in Punta Cana

Post by Fishoholic »

My buddy just got married there and a bunch of them went out a got one of those bad boys too. I wonder if it was the same charter, I'll have to find out. A fish of a lifetime for sure. Congrats and thanks for sharing!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

NOTHING compares to saltwater. That's awesome.

Glad to see you had some success with a charter. Most of them are nothing more than boat rides.

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Great fish! Maybe I can talk the wife into it next year.
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

Glad you got lucky in the rotation... If I was shelling out a decent buck and didn't get rod time... I'd be pee pee forsure...
CarpNewfie
Participant
Participant

Post by CarpNewfie »

Hey guys
Gone Fishing Punta Cana is a great group of guys, and although fishing isn't a guarantee, these guys have been doing it for a long time so they know where to go and what to use. The owner (A Canadian) has been in the business in Punta Cana for 20 years.
From a cost perspective, I didn't think it was too bad. I paid $125 US for a half a day fishing. Being able to catch a fish was truly amazing, but the experience itself was worth the money.
I'll be going back for sure, and I'll be going fishing with Gone Fishing Punta Cana. There are lots of choices in terms of companies to go fishing with - I know because I did some research - but I suggest you save yourself the time and effort and just Google Gone Fishing Punta Cana. I booked my trip with them myself on-line a few weeks before we left for our trip, and I probably saved money by taking care of it myself - as opposed to booking through the resort or Transat.
These guys catch a lot of fish - check out the pictures on their Face Book page https://www.facebook.com/GoneFishingPuntaCana
Hopefully I'll be able to post another picture next year this time, only I'm hoping I'll be able to post a picture of a marlin next year.
I can't wait for the friggin' ice to melt.....itching to wet a line again.
Cheers!
CarpNewfie
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

This is very good info, thanks for sharing.
Planning a trip to Punta Cana next year, and I'll be in touch with them for a tour.

Thanks for sharing.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Fantastic fish! Just watched Izumi catching these on WFN this week - yours is a dandy!
Must have been a helluva fight.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Sounds like a nice trip. Glad you caught one, and a decent mahi-mahi at that. They sure do put up a nice fight.