Report: In search of rainbows

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Report: In search of rainbows

Post by Bis4ben »

I've hit the ice more this year than i ever have before ... It's certainly a lot more work but can be equally as rewarding. I've been in Ottawa for just over three years so i dont exactly have a honey hole yet (for any species) but have managed a lot of exploring.

In terms of weather this past Sunday (the 29th) was the kind of day on the ice that I dream about. It was sunny, warm, no real wind and hard packed snow - hell, it barely even mattered if the fish were biting! I've spent the winter targeting eyes and lakers ... but such a gorgeous day warranted something new - Rainbows!!

Two friends and I packed our gear and were on the water by 9am to embrace some sweater weather. Now i'm not experienced in targeting trout other than lakers and splake (which i target the same way) so we weren't sure about depth, or the required structure (ie on the weed beds or in the rocks ??). We started by drilling one hole each, three holes, (manually) which varied from roughly 8-18 ft of water. No luck for the first hour and half. Drilled two more holes at what we figured would be the 10-12ft range - managed to find some vegetation on the bottom which seemed promising so set up camp there and throw some tip ups in the original holes. Hour and half later still nothing. I drill two more holes and my arms are getting sore at this point. I've tried jigs of varying colour and weight with varying plastics, small spoons of varying colour, tossed down a bead head nymph over the weeds and am starting to get a little discouraged. Through all of this one of my friends hasn't moved or re-tied since he first sat down; of course he yells "FISH ON". You can tell this is a nice fish, and just as the head comes through the hole one guy gets his hands in, tries his best, but the line breaks. Well buddy who was holding the rode throws it aside and, moving faster than he's moved in hours, two hand bear scoops a 26" rainbow out of the hole.
20150329_124222.jpg
20150329_124222.jpg (838.85 KiB) Viewed 4768 times

This certainly gets all three of us excited. We all switch back to jigs with plastics that have been soaked in gulp and get to jigging. The one above was the best we saw all day but we ended up landing a few more and they all had some beautiful colours. Even managed a brookie.
Thanks for reading,
Ben
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.88 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Report: In search of rainbows

Post by Fishoholic »

Beauty bows boys! Nice surprise spec too, gotta love it. My first trout ever way back was a bow through the ice thanks to Gord at bits and baits recommending gulp tiny minnows.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Beauty late season Bows.... A bonus speck is always a treat, Sunday was a perfect day to be on the ice nice report!

Will be heading out this long weekend myself to chase some browns and specks before the ice is gone.

Cheers
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Way to go Ben. Some nice fish there and one beauty. Got to love it when it all comes together. A great day on the ice for you guys.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Nice job fellas, nice 'bows and bonus speck!

E
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Awesome!!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Great report - some nice bows!!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Beauty fish, congrats for icing those great looking fish!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great looking rainbows!! It's VERY rare to see specks and bows stocked in the same lake in Ontario, but if that were the case than you got the needle in a haystack!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Gorgeous fish! What a great day on the water for you :)
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice trout man :D .
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Looks like one jumped the holding tank at the hatchery... :lol:

Nice fishin boys!

RJ
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Sounds like a blast man!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Post by Bis4ben »

I had no clue that it was extremely rare to find both brookies and bows in the same water. I wish i had a photo that included the tail - would a splake make more sense? I was sure it was brook at the time but am second guessing myself now.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Sometimes when stocking a lake a few fish might get mixed in with other species. Like RJ said a spec may have jumped holding tanks at the farm before stocking.

The tail is one good way to check between splake and specs but a lot of the time people will call a spec a splake just because it looks like there is a slight fork in the tail but when you spread it out it is a square tail. Usualy more with the bigger specs but I have a ton of pictures of smaller specs and their tails look kinda forked but the are naturally reproducing specs. Specs will usually have blue halos around their spots too, not sure about splake.