Season's End Giants.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Season's End Giants.

Post by Moosebunk »

An end with the short rods for the winter.

Had intended to finish with some giant lakers, which pleasantly worked out. The ice season was cut almost into half due to work up north but what time there was all counted for something. Some serious fish and just the right people joined in along the way. 8)

January was spent jiggin' some trout and eyes at home.

That report is here...

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46903

End of that month and all of February I took five weeks work in Attawapiskat. Also completed a personal goal which I called the Taiga Trek, hiking snowy terrain over 100 kilometers during the subarctic's iciest grip. Bigger highlights of that time were "almost" walking across the border from Ontario to Nunavut on James Bay and, chasing down a snowy owl over 17 kilometers to snap just right the pictures. The work... I can't say much about it, but imagine kicking through a door and later beating a blizzard in flight to medevac and save a 21 year old... and that's not nearly the half of it. :shock:

The complete Taiga Trek story, more of the snowy owl, Arctic landscapes and all photos were originally posted here if interested...

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/foru ... opic=77943

Here are some favorite pics from that time away...

Continued...
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Season's End Giants.

Post by Moosebunk »

Upon returning home there was time to make up with family and friends. In the past traveling far and today still looking forward to our annual Calabogie gathering, once the list was completed with just the right mix of quality people, I graciously accepted another invite from my neighbor, friend and host. As has always been it was another excellent trip. Brenda joined as well, and more than the fishing she loved taking plenty bounties and pots at the Poker table. We will see all again. :D

Not since switching from skis to a snowboard at 14 years old have I hit the slopes with two planks beneath the boots. My father when I was young would spend three weeks a winter in Europe shredding the Alps from Germany to Italy and places between. Our family loved to ski together as well, traveling each season to Killington or Whiteface and, I'd often join Dad while he instructed at Pakenham midweek. It was bucketlist for Brenda to try it, Summer was game, while Leah had already fallen in love with skiing. Nearly 25 years and although the skis and my creaky knees have changed a tonne, my hair-doo and bones were up for it... Brenda's not so much. :lol: Was one memorable day for the clan here at home.

Finally the ice fishing season came to a close with an annual trip North. Staying the past two years with a friend, it's a long full day drive but worth the miles in order to play on one of Ontario's most grand wilderness stages. My buddy Len loves the snowmobiling and down time as much as his fishing, while I tend to go full bore into the abyss chasing lakers that have so far averaged out at 17.5 pounds with all combined catches. It's like muskie hunting for ice-laker nuts but even harder on the human gears. 400 kilometers on the skidoo, dozens of holes through up to four feet of ice and jigging for hours and hours for the chance at 1, 2 or maybe 3 fish on sonar a day. The effort required puts anything at home here to shame, but often so do any rewards.

Shot some video and took some pics while there.

No TV fishing host material here, the fish are the stars of the show. 8)

BIG GREASY. Part 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcYI2XM7maM

BIG GREASY. Part 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJtm0oI_Bls

Spring around the corner, fishing at home versus work in the north is a toss-up. April will likely be shot either way really. Looking forward to May and June with no plans to do anything but enjoy the fresh air, warm sun and take in plenty of fishing.

Best for the softwater season to the gang here. :)

Bunk.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

[quote="Moosebunk"]

Here,here !!
!Image
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

A fine choice BA.. :D

Because some have asked on separate boards I’m going to chime in on 13 Fishing’s upside-down baitcaster called the Tear Drop. This reel retails in Canada for about $90 and can be found at SAIL and maybe elsewhere. I’m not affiliated with these guys or anyone for that matter, so you can take this as an unbiased and honest opinion. I don’t normally speak on gear much either.

So, last year I had the worst time with line twist ice fishing heavy lures. The twist was basically from the business end up. Jigging big lakers like an angry madman for 6-8 hours in a day, I ground and pound all over the water column being fished. Any lures being worked this hard and fast caused twist. So, I extended the leader from 6 to 10 to 12 feet and although the increments bought me some time, still each day regardless I had to switch them out because they were worked into a matted mess. Between the mainline braid and more limp floro leads I use good quality ball bearing swivels. (size eludes me but they are rated around 40 pound test or more) A spinning reel was not the major part of the twist problem I guessed, yet I still wasn’t sure if it could be making matters worse when reeling up and down quite often.

13 Fishing’s reel was a questionable solution. I received one at Christmas. The impression out of the box was that it looked sleek and sexy, definitely innovative by design, good weight for size, “read” that it was quality parts, claimed quite a strong drag and, once on a 36 inch MH rod it balanced for me a little backward. It’s comfort in the palm however is unparalleled. Quite honestly, it’s number one attribute is how it sits in hand all day long like holding a baseball.

Specs on this thing... Jap SS High Spin Spool Bearings, 8 stainless steel ball bearings, instant ant-reverse, 6.2:1 gear ratio, magnetic braking, spool control, smooth carbon drag system, line cap 6/180, and about double the drag strength of your average 1000 series spinning reel..... Whatever!!!

Day one it got put to the test on three lakers 17 pounds and up. I used it inside and outside of the hut, on a day which reached above zero degrees.

In the hut it performed quite well. The one video with that big laker it worked the reel over 10 minutes and the drag had to be at 80-85%. I didn’t let off. It was impressively tough and although smooth it could have been a touch smoother at that tight setting. The line from the reel would often slide through my 2nd and 3rd or, 3rd and 4th fingers which was a nice touch feeling that line as, drag noise in nearly non-existent... and I don’t prefer that. Also, balance was solved once lures 3/4 ounce and heavier were attached.

Outside it was much the same... until later on. Back in the hut after it had been sitting on the ice outside a time, when I picked it up to use it and tried dropping a lure it froze up. Whattup with that!!! An ice fishing reel freezing up. It wasn’t the line but in free-spool it was sticking. Anyways, it didn’t care too much for the cold but, because of how it sits in hand you warm it up enough that it does work again in no time. Bottom line, it’s not a reel for outside use on real cold days when you’d be wearing gloves. That and, anyone not palming the reel in pencil grip could have cold issues too. For me, it happened only a couple times through the week though, mostly on day one and it seemed to improve with use. I wondered if condensation or water had gotten in and that was the problem.

Blah, blah, blah... The final thought.

9/10 for comfort and looks. It’s reel arm edge can dig a little into the index with pencil grip while punch-jiggin’ heavy baits all day long. Reel handle is fine. Enjoy how it palms. It’s a cool design.

7/10 drag. Lighter settings flawless when new. Tighter a little sticky but overall good. Wished it sounded off like a spinning reel cause then the peelings gives good feelings.

6/10 for function. Still weary about the cold with this reel. Braided lines frozen while free spooling would be same issue as with any baitcaster yet, this is a reel supposedly designed for ice fishing and having freeze up issues with the spool and engaging in and out of free-spool was weird. It’s great in the hut or once warmed up in the hand. Baits drop fast and the anti-reverse and magnetic brakes work fine. Line capacity rocks. 6/180 over 6/110 with most spinning reels.

5/10 for price. $89.99. Well, 4 and 5 years ago I paid $40 a piece for some Mitchell Avocet Gold series spinning reels sizes 500 and 1000, and every one of them is still in fine working order getting the job done without issue. $69.99 oughtta be better but you're paying a little extra for concept design and some reel appeal.

It’ll be with me in the hut until I wear it out. Gonna try softwater jiggin’ lakers with it this summer too.

Did this reel correct the line twist problem... Nope. As bad or worse in fact but, instead of the twist working it’s way up from the lure more seemed to begin at rod tip and work it’s way down.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

:shock:

Can you pack me in one of your tackle bags on one of your next trips :!:
timmu
Participant
Participant

Post by timmu »

My lord. Incredible fish and breathtaking pictures. Good for you!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Great report and ice season summary Bunk! Those tank lakers are awesome, big effort / big reward.
The scenery and nature pics too, esp the snowy owl - quality all the way.
Thanks for sharing.

(Also appreciate the teardrop review - not solving the line twist is a surprise to me, good to know.)
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Always a pleasure reading your reports, top shelf fishing and pics as usual!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

MooseBunk,
You are the man!
And I too strapped on some skis with the kids this year, and a board too!
One day it was a split half planks/half board. It seems zen can truly only be achieved on my board!

Fantastic photos and your review on that innovative baitcaster is appreciated!

Thanks for sharing!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

In the WWE the Undertaker is the Phenom.....

Here....Moosebunk is the Phenom!

One day I hope to have the time and the saavvy to hit the road to areas less tame to wet some lines.
It's on my bucket list.

Thanks for the great read and pulling us into the adventure with you!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Have not watched the videos yet but wow, what a laker Bunk!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great pics, fish, and story as always Bunk!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Another great story and some nice fish as usual Bunk.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Nothing like a visit to the Church of Char! I'm well due for one myself.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Another beauty post Bunk! That Laker is a hog! Thanks man for great reads!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!