What would you do?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

What would you do?

Post by Jimmy_1 »

You have a 12 foot john boat and a 6hp outboard.

A vehicle you can easily move this rig with.

What spots that a conventional boat (16ft+ with 60hp+) can't get to would you hit?
What species would you target?
What would you outfit the boat with?

All and ANY advice appreciated!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: What would you do?

Post by Oneeleven »

Can the boat be dragged or portaged at all?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Yes Ma'am
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

--
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I like that response Choke.

I have a 4x4 at my disposal.
I am looking for the electric motor...like trickle charger idea.

Need to actually find a trout stocking list and map.

Then post "open seats" on here for said "Buddy" to help load and off-load the tinner.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I would just scap the Jon boat (Baker Bros)and use the motor as a boat anchor and call Dano and ask him to take you fishing in his shinny Motor boat LMGFSAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Sight fishing for Gar pike at night :?:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Small boat = back country trout fishing!!!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

back lake trout fishing for sure.

Leave the gas engine at home though and get your hands on an electric. Most of those lakes are so small a gas engine is not needed.

I would have a good look at the sled trails around Lanark / Addington that run close to lesser fished trout lakes. Most of those major sled trails are wide enough for a 4x4 to get down, and most are on crown land.

Look for harder to get to lakes that may require a portage. The battery for the electric will be the biggest burden for you.

Not sure how others feel about leaving boats at back lakes, but we leave an old canoe at one particular lake we visit 4 - 5 times a season. Could be an option for you if you find a lake that is worth coming back to. A simple bike lock keeps honest people honest.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Sell it to me, I'm half looking for one.

I have a few small Crappie/Largie lakes I used to love fishing that I could get my 15 footer in at high water. Can't anymore with the ProV.

I'd even drop the 6 hp and just get a 55 lb thrust bowmount.

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks guys

An electric motor (along with carp gear) is on my list.

Hope to pound those back lakes

What equipment is needed for that?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Choke wrote:Ill take the first open seat. And when I do I'll show you how to the use this link to find trout.
http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_onli ... er_en.html
Ill even leave you an open seat in my 16.5f smoker craft with a 70 on it. And I'll show you where to catch big eyes on the Ottawa. Or you could bring that little tiny and try to keep up:)
DEAL

Although if you can get me a walleye I would be truly impressed. They are the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE.

I haven't caught one since 2010!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Strap a kayak style carrier to it (A bicycle wheel on a small little frame ratchet strapped to the hull of the boat). Set up a harness type thing on the front and pull it through the woods, or handles in the back and push it wheelbarrow style... and invade every lake that is supposed to be "Private" you possibly can up a stream... with your gas motor and and enjoy!

Just remember:

1 - Stay off private property but exercise your rights as a Canadian and use any water course and shore line. They belong to all of us.
2 - Unless it is in a Provincial Park, or home to endangered species, there is no Canadian law about gas motors. *Always check to make sure. This is true for all NATIONAL parks that I have called to speak to their legal representatives.*
3 - Poison ivy itches like the dickens!

Craig
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

I've had amazing days on my 12 foot inflatable with 30lb trolling motor....I bought a kayak because I was tired of inflating...

Great thing about the john boat is that you can stand in it. Gotta love those flat bottoms. Trolling motor is great but you have to remember that you have to haul the battery and the bugger goes dead on a two day trip. I really like the above comments about the solar chargers. The gas motor has its uses.

I'm not sure where you live, but I would be hitting the Rideau river. I'd be sticking to small waters where the wind has almost zero influence...Makes for amazing days of quiet relaxing fishing.

Combo Portable fish finder is what I use on the inflatable and yak.... But I bring in the first time I hit a spot for depth. And I don't need it after that.

With my jeep liberty, I threw the yak on top, and threw the inflatable in the back with motor. I suggest anything with a roof rack and you can strap it down...

Find yourself a nice seat, comfort is everything, unless you plan on casting all the time, then maybe an anchor!

RJ is dead on, standing in a johnboat controlling the thing with a foot pedal would be a dream come true for a couple spots I hit... If you put it up for sale, let us know.
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.