What would you do?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: What would you do?

Post by jsdx »

I do a lot of back lake canoe fishing and always wanted a more comfortable small boat.

Equipment --- get an electric for sure. not sure you can get solar chargers that push sufficient amps but you can charge off the vehicle when changing spots and really extend your weekend. Do it as soon as you get off the water - if you're driving back to a campsite or back out to get beer :) - get the charger on it right away - extra minutes charged == goodness.
Depth finders are handy too but we're usually are to lazy to carry extra (canoe fishing) so we do without.

The one item no one mentioned would be a winch - electric mounted on truck or even a come-a-long. I've personally seen a small boat on a trailer launched on a winch down a "cliff" --- a non-traditional boat launch if ever. Would also help lug your trailer out of a lake in muddy launches where truck would sink in or drag boat up a steepish road-side lake with no actual launch. I've seen many places we can launch with a canoe, that would work with a boat if you only could drag it up/down with some power.

Back lakes for sure. The trout lakes get all the attention - start with calabogie, then north and west of calabogie, and then crown land surrounding algonquin as you go further. Many of these lakes can be reached by car directly, or via creeks crossing roads and you "boat in" (easier with canoe) or even within 100 m with some bushwacking. We lug a canoe, battery, electric and it's worth it. There are some small lakes right by the sides of roads in lanark county and west too. Some cough up nice pike. If you can see roadside water try it ...

If you use the fish online site, and you find pike/perch lakes, give em a try, not trout lakes but they are usually great for action. If you find a "bass only" lake , they can be crazy good, they just don't seem to get hit as hard as trout lakes and the bass are not educated so they hit everything.

If you want lake names and locations, they're only revealed after the blindfold comes off and I'm in the boat with ya :)

There are some nice lakes in Quebec too - many with small boat access only. Others on the site can comment probably more than I can but we've fished some small cottage lakes with crazy good fishing. If you know someone with a cottage on a small lake and the owners said they never fished the lake and no one else does either - go there !

Post pictures when you find your secret honey hole.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Best response right thur JSDX!

Thanks!

Near my hunt camp which is on the K&P trail there is a huge stream with some open pools. I have been told it holds rainbows.
Not sure and never tried.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Seems the family may be adding a jeep to the mix sometime soon....(needed for the hunt camp).

So off-road 4x4 capability and a tinner.....

Should be some fun times if all pans out.....
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

That tinnie fits in the back of my truck and have 4x4 so when lol !!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Some time after the little one arrives FM!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Well get driving down them bumpy back roads that will make it happen sooner lol
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Tried that....didn't work :? :(

Its tough now. She can't really walk right....lots of discomfort etc.

Hard to see that and feel powerless to do anything....