What is your opinion?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: What is your opinion?

Post by riverdog »

There is another Walleye tournament this same day out of the U.S. anybody that's knows...knows most of these fisherman will be fishing the Canadian side which means more 24.8" will be kept for a prize, neither stipulate live release. Again my problem is lots of times these big females are caught & released after a quick pic now will be thrown in a livewell. Most of the lo dwells were made for bass not 10lb walleye & a few eaters. Again it's their legal right.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Kerrazy wrote:

Marcus you are a trapper, you know your self, if you had 40 more guys in your area working your 'sets' it would make for stressed furs. Which is really no different. Your area is likely the same size if not bigger than some area tourney lakes.
If an area had a trapping density like that and catch rates were above what was considered acceptable limits, the regs would reflect the limits we were permitted to harvest.

Tough to compare management plans with mammals and fish. With trapping, we know exactly how many animals are being harvested.....the fishery is not so lucky. Reproductive rates are obviously much different as well.

I get why some of you are concerned and I agree, there's lots of room to make tournies like this more conservation minded. If I were in your shoes and I felt strongly about it, I'd get involved and have my voice heard through the proper channels. Join a club or a commity that deals with reviewing regs and harvest limits.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

"Join a club or a commity that deals with reviewing regs and harvest limits."

Great advice, but forums such as this, which are specific to the topic, also assist those in the conservation service, assist in gauging public concerns, as these pages are quietly watched by many. :}

But you are very correct instead of being armchair pundits we should really get involved with our local groups.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!