What is your opinion?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

What is your opinion?

Post by riverdog »

A local organization is planning a Pike/Walleye tournament for May 2nd opening Walleye on the Larry. The pay out format is biggest Pike/Walleye plus hidden weights. From what I've read the fish does not need to be alive for weigh in, but if it is you'll receive a ticket towards the prize table.
In my opinion the organization should remove the pay out for the biggest walleye. This is the time that almost anybody can catch multiple walleyes, lots will be big females & some will be full of eggs. The other part is the anglers that have a 7lber floating in their inadequate live wells that catch a 10lber later and toss that 7lber back to stay under the regs & to weigh in the bigger fish. I reached out to the organization about my concern, they assured me that any live fish brought to them should still be alive when released because the have a 10x10 pen...There is enough big females harvested each year by uneducated anglers (again my opinion) than to add this kind of pressure to the system.

Your thoughts...
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Re: What is your opinion?

Post by tr21chris »

You're not the only one who holds that opinion...if you're talking about what goes on at Cardinal that is?
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

tr21chris wrote:You're not the only one who holds that opinion...if you're talking about what goes on at Cardinal that is?
Many of the fish will be caught there for sure. My problem is the organization that is running the tournament which is encouraging big walleye to be kept it's also the most vulnerable time of the year for these big sows.
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

I agree with you 100% bud...frustrating but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I can't believe that the CO's don't set up for the opener. I've met boats coming out of the launch at 4:30 am heading home with their limit, and then when I'm out there jigging an hour later, look over and see the same truck and boat rolling into the launch, and come out for another load!! I've seen that a few times over the years...thats b.s. and happens a lot! A lot of people don't understand, just because there's lots of fish, doesn't mean they're gonna be there forever! It does take some management, and thats where you think the club would try and set an example, but on the other hand its the easiest money the club with make all year I bet?
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

You asked for my opinion, and I'm not usually shy to give it. There must be a better, more conservation-minded format for a club to make money. Maybe other clubs have had some success with this.

WRT a bunch of uneducated buffoons going out on the same boat, twice a day to get their limit and fill their freezer/sell the proceeds. That is the kind of behaviour that has contributed to the collapse of so many walleye populations on the lakes of Eastern Ontario. We all need to do what we can to protect our resources from these idiots, both for current and future generations.

You can call 1-877-847-7667 to report any illegal activity against Ontario’s natural resources, which includes taking more fish than allowed.

More info can be found at https://www.ontario.ca/environment-and- ... n-tips-mnr
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

I like the format the Ottawa Region Walleye League uses. Measure the fish, take a picture, let it go, move on. Seems to me this format produces the least stress on the fish.

As for the poaching, pretty disgusting.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Sourdough wrote:I like the format the Ottawa Region Walleye League uses. Measure the fish, take a picture, let it go, move on. Seems to me this format produces the least stress on the fish.

X2 thats neat!

It's catch and release right?
Would be nice to see them have an anglers meeting before the start of the tournament to educate the anglers on how to properly handle walleye.

Once the opener hits you can't stop them from fishing but if you educate them and remind them that it's a fragile eco system.

That's my 2cents

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I think you are butting up against a very touchy subject. If there is no prize for biggest walleye then what you have is a pike tournament. Pike tournaments don't tend to garner a lot of interest that I've seen. Is your real concern having a walleye tournament in your fishing backyard?

I was in Cardinal last year on opening day and saw the pen they use. I saw a few big fish in there. IMHO the entire situation was a bit of a chit show. It was crazy how many people / boats were there. I did not participate in the tournament, I just went out to catch a few fish. I have also been in Napanee on opening weekend and it is just as crazy there.

Biggest weight events, regardless of species, tend to lead to less than ideal conditions for fish. Living in a livewell for a day is certainly less favourable than living in a river so I consider that less than ideal. Hopefully all the "held in a livewell for weigh in and then released" fish survive. I know in the bass world that the tournament organizers all tout the stats on the release of live fish. I have no idea what the survival rate of "held in a livewell and then released" walleye are

If the concern is about the vulnerability of large females at that time of year, maybe the season should open a few weeks later.

Just my 2 cents
Flooded
Participant
Participant

Post by Flooded »

Conservation has to trump competition, period. I'd be in favour of FMZ 20 (the St. Lawrence River) adopting a period-specific size limit similar to that in place in FMZ (the Ottawa River). A maximum size limit of somewhere around 20 inches from the May opener to the beginning of June would take care of late-spawning issues while still allowing people to fish for, catch and keep eating-sized walleye from the St. Lawrence.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

My opinion is that there are "regulations for recreational fishing in Ontario". If you fish, you should abide by them. If you want to host a tournament, you should abide by them. If you witness anyone not abiding by them, there is a number to call and a Conservation Officer, whose job it is to enforce these rules, willing to take your help.
If people have ethics that are more conservation minded then those that are in the Regulations, that is a personal preferance. To me, anyone telling a local organization what to do, is the same as PETA telling me or you what to do. Just because they think they are right ... does not make it so. If the Ministry was to approach the tournament, what could they say?
It sounds like they are trying to have the best of both worlds by awarding a possible prize to people who release a large walleye. It's a touchy subject, but that same walleye that you might be worried that somebody is keeping legally, that might be a late spawner... could have been caught and kept back in Februrary... and so on. You can postpone the Opener... how long? Maybe the fisheries technicians should do studies...maybe they have and that's why the date is where it is. You can open the season later, close the ice fishing earlier, put limits on size, take away derbies and tournaments... each step of the way, inching closer to what a group like PETA would have us adopt. No Fishing. No Thanks.
Just my opinion :D
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

banjo wrote:My opinion is that there are "regulations for recreational fishing in Ontario". If you fish, you should abide by them. If you want to host a tournament, you should abide by them. If you witness anyone not abiding by them, there is a number to call and a Conservation Officer, whose job it is to enforce these rules, willing to take your help.
If people have ethics that are more conservation minded then those that are in the Regulations, that is a personal preferance. To me, anyone telling a local organization what to do, is the same as PETA telling me or you what to do. Just because they think they are right ... does not make it so. If the Ministry was to approach the tournament, what could they say?
It sounds like they are trying to have the best of both worlds by awarding a possible prize to people who release a large walleye. It's a touchy subject, but that same walleye that you might be worried that somebody is keeping legally, that might be a late spawner... could have been caught and kept back in Februrary... and so on. You can postpone the Opener... how long? Maybe the fisheries technicians should do studies...maybe they have and that's why the date is where it is. You can open the season later, close the ice fishing earlier, put limits on size, take away derbies and tournaments... each step of the way, inching closer to what a group like PETA would have us adopt. No Fishing. No Thanks.
I 100% agree with this
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

Post by Sourdough »

ShawnD wrote:
Sourdough wrote:I like the format the Ottawa Region Walleye League uses. Measure the fish, take a picture, let it go, move on. Seems to me this format produces the least stress on the fish.

X2 thats neat!

It's catch and release right?
Would be nice to see them have an anglers meeting before the start of the tournament to educate the anglers on how to properly handle walleye.

Once the opener hits you can't stop them from fishing but if you educate them and remind them that it's a fragile eco system.

That's my 2cents

Shawn.D

They promote a catch and release ethic, as well as working towards conservation of walleye fisheries. Their link is:

http://www.orwl.ca/conservation.html

I think their approach is quite good. The catch, record, release format is in accordance with local regs, and it seems to me it's harder to cheat by affecting fish length than weight
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

banjo wrote:My opinion is that there are "regulations for recreational fishing in Ontario". If you fish, you should abide by them. If you want to host a tournament, you should abide by them. If you witness anyone not abiding by them, there is a number to call and a Conservation Officer, whose job it is to enforce these rules, willing to take your help.
I shared my opinion with the Organization that is running the tournament. I believe the format promotes unethical practices but legal. I have chosen not to participate based on the format. I will not support any of they're events based on this one again my choice. I feel hidden weights work better for a fish that is the most targeted & kept in the St.Lawrence. I'm no fan of PETA to be clear just smarter conservation.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Agree with Banjo... pretty much.

A shame they wouldn't host their tournaments when fish are a little less vulnerable to harm though. Accessible, concentrated, spawning and such. But, if they did wait, I guess shore anglers wouldn't have the same chance as boaters in catching the fish.

Always sounds like a circus down there at opener.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I am not sure I understand how something can be legal yet unethical with respect to keeping fish

there are bass tournaments all over the place on opening weekends. what's the difference?