Lucky me....but need advice..

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Lucky me....but need advice..

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I was recently blessed by someone I know passing along some GPS co-ords for trout. :D

They aren't really that into fishing them but no there whereabouts for work related reasons.

My question is:

If I am tageting stocked trout lakes do I need specific gear? What is the best time or season to go?
What would a NEWB need to have a half decent chance at landing a Brookie, SPlake or Rainbow?

Thanks a bunch! PM me if you prefer.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lucky me....but need advice..

Post by Fishoholic »

Light rod, some spinners, some spoons, hooks and worms! Gotta start somewhere! Trout fishin was real frustrating at first but once you figure them out its a blast. Feast or famine lot of the time.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Fishoholic wrote:Light rod, some spinners, some spoons, hooks and worms! Gotta start somewhere! Trout fishin was real frustrating at first but once you figure them out its a blast. Feast or famine lot of the time.
Thanks!

Spinners such as?
Spoons such as?

Light rod being a 6ft or 7ft? action?
Mono or braid?
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
Fishoholic wrote:Light rod, some spinners, some spoons, hooks and worms! Gotta start somewhere! Trout fishin was real frustrating at first but once you figure them out its a blast. Feast or famine lot of the time.
Thanks!

Spinners such as?
Spoons such as?

Light rod being a 6ft or 7ft? action?
Mono or braid?
small meps or panther martins, bows love pink!!
small cleos work good for big brookies too

I like a 7ft ultra light with 6lb mono or floro for chucking hardwear and a 6'6" ultra light if flipping small tubes or floats and worms into trees and such
trout can be a ton of fun and are very rewarding after the long journeys into these little lakes in the bush!
sorry for stealing your thunder Brad but thought id put my two cents in! :lol:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks Chevy

This'll open a WHOLE new world for me.

Is there a particular budget friendly rod reel combo?

How deep down are they usually? You mentioned shoreline? SO they aren't like Lakers and in the deep?
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Like Chevy said, panther martins, mepps, spoons like Williams wobblers and mooslooks. Some guys use braid with mono leaders as it goes a bit deeper but I usualy use 6 or 8 pound mono. If using spinners put a leader with a swivel to avoid line twists. I use my phleugeur president combo I picked up at ct for like 90 beans or something. Nice smooth reel and good feel to the rod for trout.

I usualy target specs and like Chevy said troll shore lines . I usualy don't fish more than 20-25 ft deep for them and usually shallower like 10-15 ft. I use gang trolls for bows as they are a bit deeper but have caught a bunch of bows on still line with a worm off bottom. When they are tight to shore can almost be like bass fishin flipping into the lumber.

Come out one time I'll bring my boat and show ya how I'm rigged up.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Heres some advice.......seek psychological help soon !!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Bass Addict wrote:Heres some advice.......seek psychological help soon !!
Huh?
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Post by Bis4ben »

Great thread everyone.

Although i'm amateur in comparison to others here i really enjoy dipsy divers for splake. No need to worry about what rate the line is sinking at - less line to bring in - and for me at least much more accurate for depth. If i'm not using a dipsy diver i certainly use a 'Christmas tree' a.ka. gang troll. Maybe even both as the right tree really seems to get the bite sometimes.

With the dipsy you loose a lot of the sensitivity, but traditionally i'm paddling at the same time so i'm not feeling the light bite regardless. Be sure to use a long leader - splake will be shy of the dipsy.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Chevy Champagne wrote:small meps or panther martins, bows love pink!! small cleos work good for big brookies too

I like a 7ft ultra light with 6lb mono or floro for chucking hardwear and a 6'6" ultra light if flipping small tubes or floats and worms into trees and such
trout can be a ton of fun and are very rewarding after the long journeys into these little lakes in the bush!
sorry for stealing your thunder Brad but thought id put my two cents in! :lol:
Sounds like this Chevy guy might have done this once or twice.

Jimmy... Don't do the backwoods and trouting thing as often as I used to but,

#3 Vibrax all silver or, silver blade with pink body have been good to me on dirty days. #3 Mepps Black Fury, black and orange spots under the sun. #2 Panther Martin, yellow body and orange blade in cricks. Tipped with worms always.

1/4 ounce Cleos, chart/silver, gold/red, blue/silver. 1/4 ounce EGB's... half/half.

1/4 ounce bucktail jigs. Black, black/brown, black/blue, black/red and usually something bright too like a perch pattern or red/white.

Couple extras if ya want... things like Yozi Pin Minnows or small Rapalas. Just a choice really.

When going into the hills with the quad and tube or just to shore trash it, I'll grab those lures and throw 'em in a sandwich container with a few snap/swivels, some bait hooks, float and some split, 5-6lb floro for leaders, hemostats and a tape measure. You're done for the day. You've got what ya need.

Rods 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 foot light, medium-light spooled 10lb braid. Whipping baits further is easiest with braid.

Take some luck with ya too, cause Lord knows the hills around here can humble ya many days for trout.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks a bunch Bunk!

I only ever went once in a tinner in the "Hills" and it was loooooooong ago.

I won't have as much time to get out this year as years past but when I do I want to be armed and ready!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great advice here... Just keep in mind that in the spring and later in the fall, you can fish 'em shallow, near shore. In the summertime, you'll have to fish for 'em in deeper water, away from the shoreline.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Wickeds

Me thinks late fall will be when I have a chance to go.

With a newborn coming early spring is a no go unless I am asking to be single.... :lol: