Quantum Kinetic PT

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Quantum Kinetic PT

Post by kliven »

I'm looking for a new baitcaster this season, but since I'm a student, my budget would be around $100.

Has anyone tried out the Quantum Kinetic PT? Sail is having a sale (no pun intended) on them, and I was looking to get it.

Any pointers would be appreciated!
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Quantum Kinetic PT

Post by Alby »

I get along great with mine.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

kliven wrote:I'm looking for a new baitcaster this season, but since I'm a student, my budget would be around $100.

Has anyone tried out the Quantum Kinetic PT? Sail is having a sale (no pun intended) on them, and I was looking to get it.

Any pointers would be appreciated!
I own a lot of Quantum, great reels, I have some old PT's and Smokes, the new MGs, the new Speedfreaks .. 70% of my rods are Quantum as well.
I think it'll serve you well, in the past I've seen 1 reel break, the braking system inside imploded and after a brief conversation with Quantum Parts staff they sent me a new spool and braking system to my house free.

Cheers
Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Oh, okay, that's reassuring!

If I may ask, if you were to choose between getting a used Abu Garcia Revo STX Gen1 and a completely new Quantum Kinetic PT ($140), which would you get?
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

kliven wrote:Oh, okay, that's reassuring!

If I may ask, if you were to choose between getting a used Abu Garcia Revo STX Gen1 and a completely new Quantum Kinetic PT ($140), which would you get?

For the same price???

I would definitely go with the new reel just in case it the used one was neglected or has been through a few too many rough summers i know you're on a budget but for 60$ more you could get a Gen3 Abu STX...I just got one and I CAN'T wait to try it :D

Tight lines
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Yeahh, the Quantum Kinetic PT is $70 at Sail, and the used Abu STX Gen 1 is $70 used!

I'm looking for a reel that will last, but I see your point - if I get a used reel, it'll likely not last as long as a new one! Maybe I should invest a bit more...
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I've stayed out of this because I am not a Quantum fan and I have never used them.

If you are considering the used revo's Dr.B has listed, I have never seen anything on here showing that he abuses his gear. And for the price, it wouldn't be a bad reel at all.

If you were considering a new Gen 3 revo, give Ed at paddletales a call. He has some of those reels on stock on sale for not much more than the Kinetic.
whoodatguy
Participant
Participant

Post by whoodatguy »

Just an FYI and following on Adam's post... I picked up a new Gen3 STX for $140 from Ed at Paddletales!!! The thing is beautiful! and I can't wait to use it!
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

No way! $140 for an Abu STX? I think I might check it out - thanks!
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

Was at Sail Thursday and while they did have lots of Kinetics on a shelf, they didn't have them marked as being on sale. I know on-line they did show them as $69.99 early last week but now they are back to $139.99.

I was looking for a bait casting reel last week and it was on my list but I wanted a LH model and they didn't have one. I ended up ordering a Daiwa Lexa on-line for roughly $100 all in. The Abu for $140 seems like a great deal.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

I just called in, and apparently, they only have left hand retrieves for the Abu STX. I won't be able to go to paddletales until Tuesday, at which point, they'll probably all be sold out.

What site you get the Daiwa Lexa at? That's a sweet deal!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Kliven,

Don't be surprised if Ed can help you out. All of his Revo's and all of his Pflueger reels are on sale and they are all great deals. Even if you are t sure what you want, Ed will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Plus, if this is your first baitcast reel, Ed will give you a 101 course on them as well as spool it up. This is the type of service yu get there.

Good luck!
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

kliven wrote: What site you get the Daiwa Lexa at? That's a sweet deal!
I'm new on this forum so I'm not sure how it's felt about posting non-sponsor store names. But if you Google Daiwa Lexa 100 I'm sure you'll find it on sale for $69.88USD from a major seller. Shipping is $15 and I found a 10% off promo code (also via Google). The downside is the long 3 week shipping times.
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

whoodatguy wrote:

Just an FYI and following on Adam's post... I picked up a new Gen3 STX for $140 from Ed at Paddletales!!! The thing is beautiful! and I can't wait to use it!

REally??? I paid 200$ there few weeks ago :(
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

Very impressed. The Lexa arrived today. Ordered March 31st and sent from California. I've had letter mail from across the city take longer.

Also picked up a kayak at Costco so will be getting on the water this year. Hopefully sooner than later. I know it's not the best out there and might not be very comfortable without adding a new seat but I just couldn't ignore the price. :D