Who's a tier and who is a snapper?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Who's a tier and who is a snapper?

Post by Kerrazy »

Well with T - 45 days and counting til walleye season opens, and WFN doing their free month preview again on Bell and Rogers, the question I have is this;
Who direct ties their lures and who uses wire leaders with clasps or just swivel clasps.

I am a black wire leader user, as I change my baits to often and no desire to retie all the time, yet this year am truly considering having one set up just for tying.

Cheers
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Who's a tier and who is a snapper?

Post by Mick »

Typically I decide what my strategy is for the day and I have all my rods geared up how I want them. There is no re-tie unless there is a bite off. I direct tie pretty much everything. Different knots depending on what I am tying, but I never use a metal leader unless I am pike / musky fishing. If you have a limited number of rods, you might consider trying less techniques in the run of a day or figuring out how to tie new setups quickly. I just think that using metal leaders for bass or walleye fishing limits your catch.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I'm a tier.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

Tier much better action and the lure runs true
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I know it plays a big part on lure action, yet as I typically fish with my young lad, we will often swap rods (little beggar does not appreciate what he has in his hands) and he is, well, like a fish, and changes lures frequently. And sometimes if I am in the canoe, I just pass him my rod and lure so he can keep fishing. So while I may suffer hookups, I can keep him interested by letting him try different things.

But, I am really leaning to a baitcaster set up and a spinning set up that are tied.
I must also state, I am not a die hard bass fisherman. I am a sport fisherman that will on occasion eat his days efforts.
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
john c
Participant
Participant

Post by john c »

Both
Directly tie where sensitivity is involved, like hand holding rods such as jigging and bottom bouncing.

Snaps definitely when cranks are involved, but the right snaps duo-lok. They have a round end that gives cranks the freedom to move the way they are meant to and allow for quick change of baits.

Dont usually use snap swivels or metal leaders as they can change the action and aren't generally needed.
John Cheng
Eastern Lake Ontario Walleye Guide - Kingston
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Tier....fluoro leader with minimal bite off's
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Most stuff is direct tie for me.

When I do think I'll want to switch out baits ie. Cranks I use a Fastach.

They even make em with a swivel on them now.

Steel and Heavy Fluro leaders are for dedicated Pike and Musky fishing only.

RJ
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Tier = way better action.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

:shock: :shock: WHOA!! :shock: :o

Thought I was on the wrong Site for a minute when I read
that Thread Title, but now that I've read it I get the drift! :wink: 8)

I'm both actually, depends on lure/bait, species I'm after (or may
encounter :shock: ), setup I'm using, water I'm fishing, etc., etc., etc........... :ugeek: :ugeek:
So many variables, so little time!! :? :( 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

As it sounds like you are talking mostly about walleye fishing, I don't know. I've never really targeted them.

I havent used anything like a snap I years and tie directly to the line. I did try the fast tach thing RJ was talking about and will need to pick some more of those up in the proper line size and product to use for cranks. For the amount of time I lose directly tying, I really could care and I just feel more confident with it directly tied.

When I only had 1 or 2 combos, it was a different story but now, I don't see a need for a snap.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

All depends on the fish you're after.

I do both for mostly the same reasons as above. (also use the fastach's mostly on the ice)

I also use a few other types.

when fly fishing or red-neck tenkara fishing I sometimes use these with a tippet ring:

or

these on standard line - neither works well for big fish.
Snap hooks allow you to change flies and small lures easily without retying. The small size and wire diameter of the snap hook wont impede flyaction. The snap hook is tied directly to the end of your line or leader. The eye of the fly is slid over the snap hook and it is ready to fish.

When Catfishing or Burbot (anything on the bottom with snags) I use easy links

They allow me to use pre-made pulley rigs or flapper rigs. Just make sure the main line is stronger than the rig line!
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

MichaelGA wrote:All depends on the fish you're after.

I do both for mostly the same reasons as above. (also use the fastach's mostly on the ice)

I also use a few other types.

when fly fishing or red-neck tenkara fishing I sometimes use these with a tippet ring:

or

these on standard line - neither works well for big fish.
Snap hooks allow you to change flies and small lures easily without retying. The small size and wire diameter of the snap hook wont impede flyaction. The snap hook is tied directly to the end of your line or leader. The eye of the fly is slid over the snap hook and it is ready to fish.

When Catfishing or Burbot (anything on the bottom with snags) I use easy links

They allow me to use pre-made pulley rigs or flapper rigs. Just make sure the main line is stronger than the rig line!
I have a feeling your fly tying station looks like mine...covered in hair and feathers and trays of hooks, snaps and swivels at your feet....

I use double lock snap on barrel swivels of all sizes usually on home made fluorocarbon leaders... I don't direct tie because the Ottawa is full of big toothy surprises...
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

[quote="MichaelGA"]these on standard line - neither works well for big fish.

I've used those Mustad snap hooks for ages. They work great for any time you may be switching baits frequently. I've used them for stream fishing and pannies, even the large size for Walleye jigging. Specially great for Crappie when trying to find the right jig. The only negative thing is that they're not the easiest to tie on, and forget it at night.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Well looks like I will be adding a few options to my terminal tackle kit this spring.

'Reel',( ha! I kill me!) glad I started this thread, as there has been a ton of great information.

As I am a mutlti species angler, happy to get a pike or a bass on my line and truly do not target a particular species, I prefer to use a wire leader.

But, that being said, maybe this year is the year to change up my fishing style and actually hone my skills to be species specific.

Either way, I will certainly add to my terminal tackle collection.

Thanks for info!
Kerrazy