Shark Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Shark Fishing

Post by Guest »

I'm off this weekend to Halifax to fish for sharks. We're targeting Blues and Porbeagles, but also hope that we might rope into a nice Mako. I'll have some pics and videos to show when I get back.

It's gonna be tough to go back to muskie fishing after this...... :)

Have a good weekend everyone!

HW
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Have fun while in search of Jaws. :shock:

Looking forward to hearing about your trip upon your return.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

I head out to halifax tomorrow! no shark fishing lined up, but I should be able to get into some mackerel... :D have a good trip!

cheers,
tallpaul
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

I went to Halifax about 5 years ago for a football camp at St. Mary's University, then toured Nova Scotia. It's one nice town. If you get a chance, I recommend checking out the Cabot Trail.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

My shark fishing crew has backed out on me! If you need a first mate call me at 1-519-983-0903! I'm a bachelor this weekend and need an adventure!

I missed Slush Puupies call last night, and missed a Tuna fish today. :cry: :cry:
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Markus the SreamingReels might have a problem with that!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

fishforfun wrote:Markus the SreamingReels might have a problem with that!
FFF, i'm not understanding??? Maybe too many Moosehead have dumbed me up a bit! :lol:
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Screeming Reels?

Post by Legend »

:) Screaming Reels have a problem with Shark fishing?

:lol: Makos, Blues and Porbeagles aren't even on the derby list! Unless someone is trying to pass them off as a Whitefish...

:) Legend

Post by Guest »

Marcus,

Damn, I wish I had of checked this while I was there! Would have loved a first mate. I think I actually saw you in the Airport today (Monday). Were you wearing a Fish-Hawk shirt?? Before I clued in, you were gone. I was rushing to get lobsters and catch my flight. I think it was you though.

We had an amazing day. Although both my girlfriend and I were extremely seasick, and throwing up most of the day, we toughed it out, and caught some monster sharks.

First two were 53.5" and 72" blue sharks. Once we had those little ones out of the way, the big girls arrived. We had two sharks in the 10ft range circling the boat. I hooked one, and fought it for about 30 minutes before its mate got wind of what was going on, and literally came along and bit off my line. What a frusteration! 5 minutes later, I hooked into another good sized shark, but once again, Big Bertha bit off my line. We were fishing with floats, and this monster would come along and bite the line off at the float. It was as if it knew the other shark was in distress, and was smart enough to try to free it. After losing 2 beauties, I went on a tear to try to hook this monster. After half an our, I finally had her hit my bait at boatside, with literally 10 ft of line out. This monster fish, once it felt hooks, tore out about 500-600 yards of line.

After an extremely tiring 45 minutes fight, I finally landed this monster blue shark. The fish measured 11 1/2 ft, and weighed approximately 320 pounds. What a beast! I have never seen anything like it!

I'm still stoked. http://www.bluesharkcharters.com/Photos_Aug15_04.htm for pictures!

If you are ever in the halifax area, try this out. It's worth every penny!

HW
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

How many points for sharks again :lol: :lol:

Now how the heck are you gonna go back to fishing for muskie now.. 500 yards of line now THAT'S a run ! ... Awsome gotta try that one day for sure.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Yeah HW, thatwas me at the airport. I wish you had said hi, it would have been great to meet you.

You pictures are great. That's a trophy blue for sure. No other sharks in the area that day? Only blues around? Seeing your pics makes me really disapointed we never got out. It looked like a great day.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Now that's some big fish!

Glad to hear you had fun catching some sharks.

Carlco

Post by Guest »

Marcus,

Sorry Man, hectic trip to the airport, so my head was not all there. When I clued in to the fact that it was you, I went looking for you, but I couldn't find you.

We only saw Blues that day. No Porbeagles or Makos around. The blues fight like crazy, so I was 100% content with them. Next time I go, we'll see if we can get my monster Mako. :)

HW
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Wow those are some incredible pictures HW, what a trip!! That is definetly something that i'd love to do someday.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Nice outing HW...

Great photos!