First open water fish 2015

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

First open water fish 2015

Post by CyrusG »

On Sunday I was out looking for panfish, chubs, or suckers from shore at a new spot my buddy showed me, the river still had lots of ice but I found a little pocket of water at the mouth of a creek I could cast a line at, I've spent years trying but never caught a fish this early when there's still huge ice chunks floating down the river but after 2 hours of having a worm off the bottom I finally got a chub! Its my new PB at around 15-16 inches, by now most of the ice is gone and the fishing should get good soon. Can't wait until the slabs start moving in! :D

Cy
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: First open water fish 2015

Post by Eli »

Gotta love fallfish :D
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

How did it taste?

Doug
BackwoodsFishing
Participant
Participant

Post by BackwoodsFishing »

Awesome. Always a great feeling catching that first open water fish of the year.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Wow you did not waste any time 8) nice one !
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Thanks everyone! I wasn't sure what it was at first but i'm pretty sure its a fall fish, the record is 18.5 inches so i wasn't far off.
Doug wrote:How did it taste?

Doug
I wouldn't eat it :lol: but it's in my freezer waiting to be cut up when the catfish start biting.
Cy
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

LiplessCrank wrote:Thanks everyone! I wasn't sure what it was at first but i'm pretty sure its a fall fish, the record is 18.5 inches so i wasn't far off.
Doug wrote:How did it taste?

Doug
I wouldn't eat it :lol: but it's in my freezer waiting to be cut up when the catfish start biting.
Yep, they are not high on my list of fish to eat. But an old lad that used to fish in a camp I belonged to used to keep fallfish, cut off the heads and gut them, then BOIL THEM and eat the meat off the bones. "JUST LIKE TROUT!" he would say. I think gin had by that time pretty much ravaged his taste buds, and any kind of soft food was good. :roll:

Doug