Carleton Place spring fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Beermansens
Participant
Participant

Carleton Place spring fishing

Post by Beermansens »

Newish to the Carleton Place/Mississippi area and eager to get some spring fishing in. Went yesterday by the rapids near the waterfront Gastropub and then checked out under the bridge just west on hwy 7 on the river where the water is open near shore. No luck in either spots. Can anyone comment as to wether I might be wasting my time until warmer weather comes? Have caught bass and even catfish at both spots previously but more in the summer. Opening a business near the river off of bridge st and hoping there might be some fishing I can do during the down time of construction. Hoping for some crappie soon at least.
Cheers
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Carleton Place spring fishing

Post by almontefisher »

Hey Beerman: I work in town at the Cooperators and know this area very well. One thing I should suggest is to stay away from that area right now. The flows are not constant and can change quickly which could create a dangerous situation if not prepared for it. Also I believe that area is closed until sometime in May. It is a fish sanctuary so you could be charged for fishing there out of season but hard to confirm that with how the regs are written. Lastly there are much better areas around this great town and Almonte to fish so when the weather gets nice let me take you out and show you the ropes. It will keep you from getting charged by accident and also allow you to see more of this great area.

So what business are you opening up in town and do you need insurance?? lol.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I checked the regs Pete and the only sanctuary listed is at Innisville and from Almonte to Pakenham. So beermansens I think you're good in town. Welcome to the area btw.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

smitty55 wrote:I checked the regs Pete and the only sanctuary listed is at Innisville and from Almonte to Pakenham. So beermansens I think you're good in town. Welcome to the area btw.

Cheers

Thanks for checking Smitty..it is the way they have the bridge listed and in town at least last year it was hard to understand. They did not specify Innisville just from the West of Main st to the bridge so it made me think in town but that makes a ton of sense as I knew it was a sanctuary for sure. Also the one in Almonte is the one at Bay Hill and someone took the sign down that they had on the tree there.

ORWL
Beermansens
Participant
Participant

Post by Beermansens »

Ya luckily I checked before hand because we were going to head to almonte to try it out and I noticed the sanctuary for this time of year. Guess I'll have to wait till it warms up a bit. Being stubborn I'll probably keep trying. I'm just shore fishing this season so hopefully I can find a good spot.

Also I'm hoping Carleton Place likes beer. I'm opening up a brewery with some friends just off of bridge on high st. In the Old Gardner electric shop near where the old foundry was. I'll be moving to the town this summer so let's hope I sell some beer and can buy a boat!
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

Good luck with all that Beerman!! I'll try and find you whenever I go fishing on the Miss this summer.

Olivier
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

welcome and YES CP does luv it's BEER :lol: :lol: :lol:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Hey guys,
I keep my boat in the water on the Miss. We have a trailer up there. If any of you guys would like to get out some evening shoot me a message. I go out after work 1- 4 times per week. Sometimes alone. Great multi species fishing!
Cheers,
Dave
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Geez...an early season fisherman....a beer drinker.... and a beer maker....you are going to have a hard time fitting in, in Carleton Place! lol I do not think you will ever be lonely! Ever thinking of trout, shoot me a PM, I live just outside of CP.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Hey Beerman. That is a great idea. A few years ago a company tried to do that in one of the old buildings here in town but it never went through for some reason. As long as you keep it local and fresh you should do well here. So off topic I can insure a brewery so if you ever need a quote let me know. I will need a few samples to make sure it is worth insuring though...lol. Also when you go to move into town give me a call or PM me and we will chat. I am on the local Lions Club here in town and we do a few events a year that we look for sponsors so if you want to get your name out there it is a great way.

Now back to fishing. The area by the bridge down to what we call the back bridge is a great spot in late may to July for walleye. They come down river and get stuck in some of the pools there so you just wade in and catch them. You will see a bunch of guys soon out in that area fishing. Offer is always out there to come out for a fish as well.

Cheers and good luck on the business...cant go wrong with beer in these parts!!

ORWL
Beermansens
Participant
Participant

Post by Beermansens »

Thanks for the tips guys I'll let you know if/when I have some success with the beer and fish! Almontefisher I'll pm you to grab your email and chat once we get going. Cheers
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Awesome name!
Beer-man-sens... three of my favorite things! :lol:

Welcome and good luck with the business. Once it's open, I'll have to come by for a cold pint.. :)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Oneeleven wrote:Awesome name!
Beer-man-sens... three of my favorite things! :lol:

Welcome and good luck with the business. Once it's open, I'll have to come by for a cold pint.. :)

Now Tia who are we trying to kid...you would come by for a luke warm pint as well....lol.

ORWL
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

Absolutely you should have a Fish-Hawk taste test night! I'm sure you have a great focus group of beer lovers at your disposal. :D Maybe you could get Gord and the Stittsvillains to headline the evening!

I myself tend to prefer quality over quantity, and love the microbrews that have come out of Ontario and Quebec in the past decade. I was in Ireland a few years ago, and was surprised that the multinationals owned all of the signature Irish brews, and the microbrew industry was non-existent. I really appreciate the quality, creativity and craftsmanship that has been poured into our local brews.

Good luck on your fishing nearby as well. Very nice fishery mixed with a good quality of life. And CP is a beautiful town and it has the possibility of being an interesting cultural destination. A good brewery tour would definitely be an asset in this area.