Rideau Shore Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Rideau Shore Fishing

Post by jshow89 »

Hey guys, I am new to the area and just looking to get some guidance. A few days a week I have to pick my wife up when she is done work in kemptville, just for car pool reasons, anyways I work in Ottawa and head south down the 416 and sit in a parking lot for a an or so killing time, just looking to see if there is anywhere I can fish for crappie or perch for an hour or so from shore just to kill time, don't worry I wont be stealing your fish, personally I always practice catch and release. Any info would be appreciated!
john c
Participant
Participant

Re: Rideau Shore Fishing

Post by john c »

Kempville has great shore fishing spots, especially for crappie in early spring. Kempville creek before it dumps into the rideau, as well as multiple over passes for feeder creeks that dump into the rideau along river and the rideau river road. You'll know when you find the road side location by bobbers and other fishing lines hanging from the telephone lines. Be aware of the cars passing as they can be going pretty quick.
John Cheng
Eastern Lake Ontario Walleye Guide - Kingston
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

So there is a spot along kemptville creek? I will have to check the map and see, thanks!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Here is a map that definately needs more spots put on it near Kemptville.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 7olwpLxdXI

If you're proficient with GoogleMaps I can either give you access or you can post the spots in the thread and I'll add them.

Have fun and share the information,
thanks!
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

yah If I find a few others I will post them here for all to see, no problem doing that. I think I may have found one on the map near what looks like a water treatment place or pumping station, it is along kemptville creek, I am hoping to swing by there tomorrow and check it out
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Awesome thanks!

Remember you don't have to list your favourite or secret honey holes, just places where a person can get access to the water.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

burrits rapids locks has always been good to me.
Jammer14
Participant
Participant

Post by Jammer14 »

Was just at Burrits locks on Friday, water levels are very low. Not much action except for the odd perch.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Was at burrits today caught nothing although my crappie fishing expertise is not good. Was another person there and he caught a small bass (he did throw it back right away) and that was all i saw. Spent more time driving looking for spots with my girlfriend but it was a combination of having no clue or not noticing spots :P
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

RR 44 where Donnelly dr crosses the Rideau, north side of river seems to have access under the bridge. I've had shore fishermen out fish me while I float in my boat there... I've also seen it the other way too :)

Walleye hang under the bridge piers - I'd say big casts required from shore ... bass found closer to shore. Pike in the mix. I usually fish it by boat but there's often shore fishers.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

Looked this morning and the park near the pumping station along kemptville creek has very easy access to walk to but the water level is quite low, not sure what the fishing is like, because the pouring rain I just did a quick walk around
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

It'll be an odd year for most shore fishing spots. Water is VERY low for this time of year.

I seriously hope it pours all week.

RJ
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

Well I spent the week trying to find a few different spots, there are two in kemptville that I have found that are along the kemptville creek. they are easy to access and fish from, that being said the water is low so you have to reach out a bit further when you cast. I also stopped under the bridge at becketts landing to fish some, couldn't believe the amount of garbage that was left under there! I would doubt that its any of the guys on here leaving there trash behind but its a shame to see as most of it will end up blowing into the river, I took a walmart bag full with me when I left and tossed it in a public garbage can, hopefully guys can keep these places clean so everyone can enjoy them