First fish of the season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

First fish of the season

Post by zippyfx »

I spent a couple of hours earlier this week looking for Crappie and Perch but had no luck.

I had a couple of hours today so I went looking for carp and redhorse. I managed to land a couple....

Man I had missed the pull of feisty a carp. Not large but it did a great job of bringing back the fishing instincts. Jumping for a rod bouncing in the holder, playing the fish and keeping it out of all the snags, working it into the net. 23 inches in the 5-7 pound range:

Managed to land two Silver Redhorse (2-3 lbs). The seem to be more feisty in the early season then later I find. Both these guys just kept trying to bury themselves headfirst in undercut of the bank.

A nice day to be out, all things considered, if you could get out of the wind.

A little fried from earlier this week:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: First fish of the season

Post by Markus »

It's great how a carp can turn a day around. Of course you'd like the end the day with a few yummy fresh fillets, but a tug on the line for a carp is always welcome! Hopefully the pannies will be active for ya next time.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Great report Zip, i can't wait to hook into some carp this spring. I haven't had any luck getting them to bite right after ice out but once they fill up dows i know where they're stacked and easy to catch. Does anyone know when they plan to fill it up?
Cy
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

LiplessCrank wrote:Great report Zip, i can't wait to hook into some carp this spring. I haven't had any luck getting them to bite right after ice out but once they fill up dows i know where they're stacked and easy to catch. Does anyone know when they plan to fill it up?
Hopefully never... :lol: The River up top needs water.

Great start for ya Zip!

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks guys....

From what I can see the Canal is set to open May 15. They usually start to raise the water 2-3 weeks in advance. Though this can change.

RJ I agree, the gradual thaw has water level very low on the Rideau, Nation and Ottawa.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

I hear ya RJ, the crappie fishing has been much slower at one of the creeks on the Rideau because of the low water this year. I still managed to catch a few slabs on saturday but they weren't as stacked and weren't in their usual spots.
Cy
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good fishing Zippy!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Wouldn't mind tying into one of them giant goldfish... been a long time.

Nice start Zip.