Hi! Interior Ottawa fish!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
actualcityfishing
Participant
Participant

Hi! Interior Ottawa fish!

Post by actualcityfishing »

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum and fishing (got into it last summer) and I noticed their weren't many information resources available to people regarding fishing the interior of the city (the canal, dows, and river) so I would like to post what I know.
As a student with limited income my form of transport has been my trusty beater bicycle and some occasional transit tickets and through my exploration I have found a few nice spots with easy access.

The Canal: One of the most underrated spots ever. Ive been asked 100's of times and ridiculed for fishing in the canal only to shock bystanders with a nice bass. The canal is a great spot for those who don't have a car and to students at the university of Ottawa or Carleton U. When its ready, you should be able to fish Smallmouth Bass, perch, Crappie, and Carp. The panfish are easily caught at any section but for bass I have found a few more successful areas. The bridge that goes over Laurier provides a good spot for fishing because of the shade and cover. I have caught many 2lbs in that area. I recommend watching the sun as the shade from the trees and the overhangs on some parts of the canal provide excellent cast locations.

Dows Lake: This is a little bit of a trek by bike but doable, Ive caugt a couple smaller pike, bass, and panfish in this area. I suggest just walking the docks and path as you can cover a lot of water fast and get some action. Dont fish near the restaurant or the owner will come and yell at you. You can also rent a kayak for some leisure her as well although its a bit pricey for a student to do regularly)

The Ottawa river: I've caught everything here and it spans a vast area but Stratchona park gives easy access to a nice stretch of water by foot or bike. I've waded a couple km in that stretch and had a lot of fun! Make sure to wear water shoes or sandals so you don't lose your footwear. New Edinburgh park has some really nice sections of lilypads and grass that have some nice small and largemouth bass, shore access is a little tricky but doable if you wade a bit. In addition the area in from of the tennis courts are a good spot to cast out from, easy visibility. The river pathway access from Ogilvie road has many spots where you can fish from shore and see some cornsnakes every so often! It has not been as productive for me but I also havent fished it often but I did notice a few more pike caught on spinners here.

If anyone else knows of some good interior city spots feel free to let me know! Hopefully Ive helped out a few people fishing in the city. Good luck!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Hi! Interior Ottawa fish!

Post by MichaelGA »

Here is one of the better maps I have for downtown access points. ie. places where you can get down to the water.

Ottawa Urban Fishing Locations!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ms ... 4GzRmUPiuI

Feel free to add your locations etc.

There is some overlap between this one and the greater Ottawa area map posted elsewhere, but combining them makes it too cluttered.
actualcityfishing
Participant
Participant

Re: Hi! Interior Ottawa fish!

Post by actualcityfishing »

Awesome! I did not know this existed thanks a lot!