Fishing both sides of the Ottawa with Ontario License?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Fishing both sides of the Ottawa with Ontario License?

Post by daveh_cdn »

Someone recently told me that I can shore fish the Ottawa River from the Quebec side using my Ontario fishing license. They said I need to follow Quebec rules such as no live bait.

Is this true?

Dave.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing both sides of the Ottawa with Ontario License?

Post by zippyfx »

Nope. Need a Quebec license to fish from shore on the Quebec side.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Are you sure about the Zippy? Why would it matter if on shore or a boat? I can launch a boat from PQ side and use Ont license, just need to follow their regs while in PQ waters.

RJ
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Anyone have more info on this? I thought i read somewhere that your allowed to fish the Quebec side of the Ottawa river with an Ontario license although you have to follow their regs.
Cy
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I think I stand corrected... Looks like the Ottawa is zone 25 in qc...

http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publ ... idents.asp

So can some in with an Ontario licence catch a sturgeon legally? Can they transport it home?
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Page 12 of the 2015 Fishing Regulations:
Limits In Boundary Water:
Anglers who fish in waters that lie both in Ontario and another province or state must include the total number of fish caught anywhere in those waters as part of the number caught and kept or possessed under the Ontario recreational fishing regulations when bringing those fish into Ontario.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

zippyfx wrote:I think I stand corrected... Looks like the Ottawa is zone 25 in qc...

http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publ ... idents.asp

So can some in with an Ontario licence catch a sturgeon legally? Can they transport it home?
Short answer: Yes & No

You can fish for them if you're on the Quebec side of the border, however since they are restricted in ON, you cannot possess any once you cross the provincial border. I don't know if the Quebec COs actively patrol the river, but it they do, a good GPS is handy so that you know exactly which province's water you're fishing in so that you don't find yourself being fined for braking the regs of either province.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

zippyfx wrote:Nope. Need a Quebec license to fish from shore on the Quebec side.
I have had discussions with game wardens from both sides. The Ottawa is a boundary water, you can fish both sides with either license but follow the regulations of that province. There is a line right down the middle of the Ottawa so be careful if you are floating.

-No live bait in Quebec
-Indeed it is zone 25
-Catch and release is encouraged everywhere, specially for sensitive fish like sturgeon

I have licenses for both sides and I'll fish both Ontario and Quebec on the same day.
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

As I understand the regs you can shore fish with your ontario liscence . Problem is you can not keep anything you catch once you leave the shore to go home your in Quebec and you need your liscence to have fish in your vehicle ..
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

I have contacted the Quebec MNR directly on this ! They told me on the Ottawa with shared Borders you are permitted to fish the Quebec side but on ly with a valid Ontario sport license. The reason they do not accept the conservation license is because when the law was written there was no conservation license so if you only have a conservation license you CANNOT fish the Quebec side!! here is a bit of my email thread with them:

Can you explain why a valid conservation Ontario license is not valid on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river for somebody that does not keep fish? I am just trying to understand why my fishing license is not recognize?

Martin

Unfortunately, the way the law was written, it was not expected that there would be conservation fishing licence. Michel Daigneault, sergentAgent de liaisonDirection de la protection de la FauneMinistère du Développement durable,de l'Environnement, de la Faune et des Parcs16 Impasse de la Gare-Talon RC 100Gatineau (Québec) J8T 0B1Tel : 819 246 4827 poste 291Fax: 819 246 5049michel.daigneault@mrn.gouv.qc.ca
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Hey RJ or Luke,
Could we make this a sticky, as it is bantered annually and lots of misinformation is offered.

Cheers!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
wayde34
Participant
Participant

Post by wayde34 »

I was stopped last year and was told it was perfectly fine. Just follow the regs for that province.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Kerrazy wrote:Hey RJ or Luke,
Could we make this a sticky, as it is bantered annually and lots of misinformation is offered.

Cheers!
X2 on this one. Include the links to Ontario and Quebec Natural Resources Departments.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Wow so just to be clear, you can legally fish from shore in quebec with an ontario sportfishing licence, as long as it is on the ottawa river and you catch and release everything?
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

tbone1088 wrote:Wow so just to be clear, you can legally fish from shore in quebec with an ontario sportfishing licence, as long as it is on the ottawa river and you catch and release everything?

No that is not correct.

To be clear, your Ontario Sport Fishing permit, will be respected in Section 25 and any tributaries or bays of the Ottawa River, as an example Baie McLauren. You must however respect, line limits, Fish limit and seasonal restrictions of QC lic. If you are targeting OOS species, you will be fined, wether it is a C&R situation or not.

A conservation permit is not an acceptable Ontario Fishing Permit, as it does not have a QC equivalent.

Your child or spouse may also fish under your Lic, as in Ontario, yet there possessions fall under you permit possession limit. The number of lines being fished by your spouse or Children also must not exceed the total number under your Fishing Permit, based on QC limits ( ex. 5 lines permitted in QC Hard water season)

It does not matter, which shore you launch, or stand on. it is a neutral territory, that respects each others issuance of a fishing Permit.

Something to be aware of though:

If QC (I said If) for example had a 6 fish limit on Walley, and you actually caught 6 fish on the QC shore, you better eat one before you get home, if ONT limit is 5, as, as soon as you cross back into ON, their Possession limits now Supersede QC.

Makes sense?
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!