Fishing both sides of the Ottawa with Ontario License?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing both sides of the Ottawa with Ontario License?

Post by StarTzar »

Kerrazy wrote:
tbone1088 wrote:Wow so just to be clear, you can legally fish from shore in quebec with an ontario sportfishing licence, as long as it is on the ottawa river and you catch and release everything?

No that is not correct.

To be clear, your Ontario Sport Fishing permit, will be respected in Section 25 and any tributaries or bays of the Ottawa River, as an example Baie McLauren. You must however respect, line limits, Fish limit and seasonal restrictions of QC lic. If you are targeting OOS species, you will be fined, wether it is a C&R situation or not.

A conservation permit is not an acceptable Ontario Fishing Permit, as it does not have a QC equivalent.

Your child or spouse may also fish under your Lic, as in Ontario, yet there possessions fall under you permit possession limit. The number of lines being fished by your spouse or Children also must not exceed the total number under your Fishing Permit, based on QC limits ( ex. 5 lines permitted in QC Hard water season)

It does not matter, which shore you launch, or stand on. it is a neutral territory, that respects each others issuance of a fishing Permit.

Something to be aware of though:

If QC (I said If) for example had a 6 fish limit on Walley, and you actually caught 6 fish on the QC shore, you better eat one before you get home, if ONT limit is 5, as, as soon as you cross back into ON, their Possession limits now Supersede QC.

Makes sense?
Are you sure about this?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Can you upgrade a conservation lic. to a sporting lic., and also is lac leamy in zone 25?
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

tbone1088 wrote:Can you upgrade a conservation lic. to a sporting lic., and also is lac leamy in zone 25?
Well it sure appears to be ok based on this zone map, look at the enlarged view on second map, it appears to move into a lot of Hull proper from the shore, and it does feed into the Ottawa.

When I say tributaries, I should clarify, that you still must be within the zone bounds, but can move into and explore most tributary mouths.

It appears, as I say that you can explore Lac Leamy, yet Lac Beachamp would be in a different zone and it is not accessible from the Ottawa River.

Baie Mclaurin is exploitable, as it is a back channel of the Ottawa River, yet come mid to late summer, water levels are too low to access the Ottawa.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

On the main page of the site we will have links to both the Ont and PQ Regs.

Making stickies for every subject that folks want will do nothing but clutter the forums. On a personal level it drives me nuts.

A question was asked and was answered, exactly what FH is about. Awesome stuff fellas.

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

tbone1088 wrote:Can you upgrade a conservation lic. to a sporting lic., and also is lac leamy in zone 25?
Yes you can but likely have to go to an MNR office to do so.

RJ
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

With an Ontario license you can fish any bay that runs off the Ottawa river but you must stay south of highway 148 on the Quebec side that's from MNR in Quebec.

So looking at the map Lac Leamy would be out of bounds for an Ontario license.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Lac Leamy is not zone 25... I would not fish there with an Ontario Sportfishing Permit and I would not use live bait there in the winter with any permit....

http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/publications ... one-25.pdf

Enjoy Quebec AKA the dark side AKA my home... ladies and gents!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
daveh_cdn
Participant
Participant

Post by daveh_cdn »

Kerrazy wrote:Your child or spouse may also fish under your Lic, as in Ontario, yet there possessions fall under you permit possession limit. The number of lines being fished by your spouse or Children also must not exceed the total number under your Fishing Permit, based on QC limits ( ex. 5 lines permitted in QC Hard water season)
Are you suggesting that if I have an Ontario license my wife can come fishing with me without having her own license? I knew that is how it worked for a Quebec license...

Please don't hate on the noob questions.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

daveh_cdn wrote: Are you suggesting that if I have an Ontario license my wife can come fishing with me without having her own license? I knew that is how it worked for a Quebec license...

Please don't hate on the noob questions.
Never a bad question...

But, always many bad answers, and to reduce that, I will decline to answer that question.

I will however suggest my wording was ambiguous at best. I realize I have implied spouses our ok under the main lic. I do not know that this is accurate.
I meant it to suggest your kids are covered under your lic in ON.

Please do not rely on a discussion board for this, as I will be honest right here and right now, when the CO charges you, I will not contribute to your fine payment fund, even if I aided in you receiving it.

Will I feel bad for you! Yep, and embarrassed, but that will not help you on the ride home with your wife!
Kerrazy

banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I agree with Kerrazy about the responsibility is on the angler to understand the Regs and that the internet should not be the final say.
But I disagree, about the statement that kids and wives fall under someone else's license. I only know about Ontario and I am pretty sure that a Spouse would need their own license ( and hold it on their own person... I have heard stories of a ticket threatened beacuse a wife's license was in her husband's wallet) And Kids that do not require a license are responsible for their own daily catch limit and line limit. I don't think you can share a catch limit at all. For example, a father can have a conservation limit. Catch and keep 2 walleye. A Son under the age limit has to abide by the sportfishing limit and can catch and keep 4 walleye. Technically they can not share their limits (like 3 and 3, lets say.).
Again, this is just my interpretation of the Regs.
At the Sportsman shows there is usually a Conservation Officer booth. That's the best time to pick their brains about how they would enforce such things.
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by boogie »

Boys, just discussed this matter this past Thursday with a CO. You can fish out of boundary water, but must respect their rules, even if your fish specie season is closed. For example, perch season on the Larry starts tomorrow, however you can still fish the New York waters for perch and bring them home, but must respect their quota. Our quota is 50 perch, but St Lawrence County has no quota. So you can fish perch and catch a bunch of them and bring them home even if our season is closed. The same applies for the Ottawa, as long as you respect the boundary rules.
Boogie
Poisson On !
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

Licences for Provincial Boundary Waters
Ontario-Quebec Boundary
Anglers may fish in the following waters with either an Ontario Resident Fishing Licence or a Quebec Resident Fishing Licence.
• Clarice Lake (48°20’N., 79°32’W.).
• Labyrinth Lake (48°14’N., 79°31’W.).
• RavenLake(48°03’N.,79°33’W.).
• LakeTimiskaming(47°20’N.,79°30’W.).
• OttawaRiver(45°34’N.,74°23’W.).
• LakeSt.Francis(45°08’N.,74°25’W.)andthewatersofthe
St. Lawrence River between the dam at the Robert H. Saunders Generating Station and the Ontario-Quebec boundary.
Ontario-Manitoba Boundary
Anglers may fish in the following waters with either an Ontario Resident Fishing Licence or a Manitoba Resident Fishing Licence.
• GarnerLake(50°48’N.,95°11’W.).
• DavidsonLake(50°21’N.,95°09’W.).
• RyersonLake(50°23’N.,95°09’W.).
• MantarioLake(49°95’N.,95°10’W.).
• FrancesLake(51°43’N.,95°08’W.).
• MoarLake(52°00’N.,95°07’W.).
• High Lake (49°42’N., 95°08’W.).
Limits in Boundary Waters
Anglers who fish in waters that lie both in Ontario and another province or state must include the total number of fish caught anywhere in those waters as part of the number caught and kept or possessed under the Ontario recreational fishing regulations when bringing those fish into Ontario.
This is from the 2015 Ontario regs if it helps . Next year I'm buying a Quebec licence so I can use 5 lines ice fishing :-) its worth the $67 dollars for out of province .... 150% better chane of getting skunked
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Dnbmike, you can fish with 5 lines on the Quebec side of the river with an Ontario license. A person with a Quebec fishing license can only use 2 lines if they fish the Ontario side of the river. You need to know where the border line is.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

There is no invisible boarder as explained by the ontario fishing regs .. Any boarder water shared with ontario has to respect your sport liscence .. But it also explains you have to respect the limits of your liscence... So I will be shelling out for the out of province liscence for the 5 lines .. Even though I am strictly catch and release it's worth it to me :-) thx for looking out for me Wally hope I'm not wrong