where are the biggest catfish of the regions..??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: where are the biggest catfish of the regions..??

Post by joco01 »

Wow

Thanks for those great response!
Myself my biggest is in the 11-12 pound range again at victoria island!

A coworker of mine as a cottgae on the gatineau river not that far up the river mabe 20 min,,,betwen cantley and wakefield on the cantley side and saif is father caught a 18 pounder! ?

one thing for sure there is a load of those cats in this river here! And a catfest should come back.

To many thinks cats about almost garbage fish! But they sure are good fighter and tasty!

Its a big river and i am sure theres some big ones,,,

Anyone that want to have fun and have there kids catch good size fish cats is in the spots! For numbers and size and good fight wen your into the zone!

Keep up the great response guys!

Thanks

Mmmm catfest,,,,,,,now it get me thinking.

To make it comeback

I will make some phone call on this..

Joco
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

For bait I use the cheapest nearly expired steak I can find at the grocery store. I cut it into strips about 2.5 inches long by an inch. Throw it in a container and douse it with Garlic salt. Let sit in fridge for a few days. The membrane within the beef makes it very tough for it to get ripped off the hook and they love it. I've caught a few that didn't even have the hook in them that just grabbed the hanging piece of meat and wouldn't let go.. :lol:

We started a "Get Hooked on Fishing" package last year with our guide service. Huge hit. Tough to not enjoy catching 30-40 3 to 5 lb Cats in 4 hours. Pure fun especially for the kids.

Awesome.

RJ
wayde34
Participant
Participant

Post by wayde34 »

I got a 32 pounder just passed sand point on the Bonnechere River. Ive also caught a few in the 10-15 lbs range there
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

another resource:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/at ... hp?aid=540

I have never tried but has anyone caught channel cats @ Dows Lake?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

bradford2 wrote:I'm sure the average size has to be a lot bigger in the St. Lawrence then the Ottawa. Everything is bigger in that river lol.

I've shore fished the Ottawa many times, and get great numbers. But rare to get one over 5lbs.
I've fished the St. Lawrence once and we only got 2 fish, but the average was 13lbs :lol:

Not great comparitors I know, but the Larry will still win for me haha.

There are some lakes around here that I believe hold some monsters, but likely only accessible by boat....

Would be fun to try.
I guess one of the limits of the consumption advisory table is that it lists size limits which are edible. This would leave me to be believe that, based on everyone's comments, larger catfish are more abundant in the St. Lawrence but may not be edible.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Thanks for the response guys ,,and nice pict RJ

Wayde pls dont take it wrong,,but that weight here is :shock: . Over 20 is extremely rare over 30 mmmm

But i gues there could be some freak of nature,,,there some of those freak in fishermans so why not in cats,, :lol: :lol: .

Keep up the response guys

Joco
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

smitty55 wrote:Yannick catches tons of catfish with his clients. Don't know how big he has caught them though.
Wasn't there a story ten or so years ago about someone catching a huge one ice fishing below Rideau Falls? They had to drill two more holes to get it out.
The Bonnechere river is good for cats. Good current areas are best early season. No-roll sinkers and circle or kahle hooks.

Cheers
Me and the boys had a fun time with Yan last fathers day! My older boy even got a double on a pcikerl rig

tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Victoria Island has some big cats in there, I have caught a few pushing 20 pounds. Trick is that the larger ones seem to hit in summer time and they stay in deep holes more. Park at victoria island but walk along the bike path until you find the "whirlpool" spot :) It is a deep hole near a barbed wire fence area and the water bubbles up to the surface. Very deep and the water is warm the big fish love it just wait until the summer to try it ;)
wayde34
Participant
Participant

Post by wayde34 »

You asked for advice and I tried to help you out, It will be the last time though! If you get bored type in Wayde Richer on facebook and then come back on here and let me know if you still think im a liar. It may take you a while to look through all 500 pics, but if you got time that catfish is in there somewhere.
Theres also a 50 pound carp on there for you to check out, which I caught here in the city, But since the Canadian record is only 38 pounds I guess that's probably not true either.

Cheers!
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Wow
Never call anyone liar,
But if you think this way,,witch is sad,,,,i trully dont care if you dont response,,and actualy pls do not response to my tread i dont need this.,
,,,i got my own spots and trully dont care if there mosly small,,,i just look for infos for fun...thats why there post and treads, Forums is there to chat fishing and having fun,,,and start conversation...read again my response!

Sad to see you take this that way.

Joco
Last edited by joco01 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wayde34
Participant
Participant

Post by wayde34 »

What's sad is that I tried to help you catch a fish of a life time and instead of saying thank you, you make me seem like a liar.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I'd love to see the picture of the 32 lber. Not often they get that big here. it must be huge!!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Like i said. A freak of nature! For here!
And it those happens. Freaks

I got connexion to the 3 comercial fishermans on the OR and ask them whats the biggest they caught in there nets!

Mabe in those range i dont know!

Joco
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

@wayde34 - Joco didn't call you a liar, yes he's a funny typer but what ever - that size of a cat is huge, definately a freak of nature - I have no doubt you did catch it and that it was that size. Please don't leave or get so annoyed - the internet is the worst communication medium ever for misunderstandings! I'll check your FB page out later, should be great to enjoy with a few beer.

On another note - probably a dead-brainer for most but I just realized something. Lac des Chats.... Catfish Lake?
Here's a section to look at.

Here's a Map... https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5138739, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Here are some contours - be careful they are NOT depths - just contours as the river level can rise and fall dramaticly and quickly!

Think it might have some big ones?
Last edited by MichaelGA on Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

wayde34 wrote:You asked for advice and I tried to help you out, It will be the last time though! If you get bored type in Wayde Richer on facebook and then come back on here and let me know if you still think im a liar. It may take you a while to look through all 500 pics, but if you got time that catfish is in there somewhere.
Theres also a 50 pound carp on there for you to check out, which I caught here in the city, But since the Canadian record is only 38 pounds I guess that's probably not true either
Never did find the catfish pic, would also love to see it. Didn't find the 50lb carp either. Did find this one though. It's a beauty at an estimated 45lbs... good catch.

Btw I think you are being pretty harsh on Joco. All he said was that he was :shock: at the weight. I am also :shock: by that weight. It's a huge fish. He even asked not to take it the wrong way as english isn't exactly his strongest point. Knowing Joco for several years now, he doesn't have an ill wish in his body, so you definitely took it the wrong way.

Cheers.

Ahhh there it is. That's a biggun.