Johnson silver spoon

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
actualcityfishing
Participant
Participant

Johnson silver spoon

Post by actualcityfishing »

Has anyone used the johnson silver spoon? Went fishing today (before knowing the rules).. anyways building my tackle box and pike are really cool. Can any one attest to the weedless characteristics it claims?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Johnson silver spoon

Post by smitty55 »

There's a good reason that original lure has been around for 92 years. They are still as effective as ever, even in open water. Try adding a 3-5" white twister tail and have fun. No weeds for a while yet anyway, but later this lure will allow you to fish water you couldn't with a regular style spoon and treble. Make sure you buy the original. Have fun.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
actualcityfishing
Participant
Participant

smitty55 wrote:There's a good reason that original lure has been around for 92 years. They are still as effective as ever, even in open water. Try adding a 3-5" white twister tail and have fun. No weeds for a while yet anyway, but later this lure will allow you to fish water you couldn't with a regular style spoon and treble. Make sure you buy the original. Have fun.

Cheers
Thanks! I didn't doubt the effectiveness of the lure but I trust reports from people rather than the company. A lot can change over the history of a company!
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Great lure when the weeds reach the surface so too weedy for a spinnerbait.
Add the twister tail as suggested
Works really well for bass and pike.
I like the largest size in sliver.
David
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

You can also get an updated version of it from Northland (homehardware and Cdn Tire carry)

It's called the Jaw Breaker comes with a skirt http://www.northlandtackle.com/Product/ ... il&_ID=119

They are refered to as texas spoons down south - you can buy the blanks and decorate them yourself from here

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/cat ... _spoon.htm

At first glace it seems way cheaper to build yourself - then you realize you need to add the hook, skirt / trailer, front snap or split ring, holofoil tape or paint and a weed guard.
Puts you right back to around the same price unless you really buy in bulk, but you have a lure that You Made!

I've got a friend who is nuts about them, only thing he fishes... does quite well - buys trolling blanks and reshapes them - has every size / shape / colour you can imagine.
(really annoying thing is that he hasn't lost any tackle in probably 20 years!)
actualcityfishing
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Will try it out in a couple weeks hopefully!
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

smitty55 wrote:There's a good reason that original lure has been around for 92 years. They are still as effective as ever, even in open water. Try adding a 3-5" white twister tail and have fun. No weeds for a while yet anyway, but later this lure will allow you to fish water you couldn't with a regular style spoon and treble. Make sure you buy the original. Have fun.

Cheers
Agreed, as a kid in the 60's the jonson spoon tipped with uncle josh pork trlr. Was the best heavy cover bass lure, and at night /early am, the jitterbug and hula popper were king, still have original spoons when the weedguards were alot stronger.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Love the Johnson. And yes, for dawn and dusk, the Hula and the Jitterbug are STILL king, IMO anyway. Nothing like getting a huge smash from a bass using a topwater in low light. You feel it and hear it even if you can't see it.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Johnson's are kick butt spoons, tried many that look similar but this one catches more fish than the others. I like to put a big tube on the back of it for some added lift and work it on top. When you hit an open spot in the weeds u stop reeling and let the flash of the spoon catch you some fish!
adempsey
Participant
Participant

Post by adempsey »

Wow, yes. Definitely one of my top 5 pike lures. I have at least twelve 1 1/4oz. in various colors. Should be a part of everyones Pike tackle box.

I've only ever used it for Pike fishing though. I imagine it would still work on every species though.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Absolutely no better spoon for fishing pike in pencils. Great too for skimming atop surface cabbage. No pike arsenal is complete without at least a silver and gold in 1 1/4 and 3/4oz sizes.

And to note, they actually started off as spoons used for largies. :wink:

Some other great pike spoons (some obvious) Daredevles ranging from small to Husky Jr's, Williams Wablers and Whitefish and Mepps Syclops.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Totally agree on the pencils because a snag there often means loosing the lure or backing the boat up and reaching down to the snag. Any time not wasted is critical in the pencils because you are usually fishing a limited window of opportunity...and the other weedless spoons are crap!
...anything to bend the rod
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

[quote="Moosebunk"]Absolutely no better spoon for fishing pike in pencils. Great too for skimming atop surface cabbage. No pike arsenal is complete without at least a silver and gold in 1 1/4 and 3/4oz sizes.

And to note, they actually started off as spoons used for largies. :wink: in the 50's/60's they came new in a box with a small instruction paper, and was called "weedless" bass spoon and recommended uncle josh pork trailer, which at the time was the only trailer around,sometime in the late 60's ,the guides started using skirts on them,my great grandparents owned a fish camp on the Trent River, circa 1920-'74,the johnson spoon and jitterbug were the bass rigs of the day, the "beno" was for walleye/smallmouth trolling,and "old Pikie" wooden lures took a ton of musky/pike and large bass along weedlines.i can remember an American customer breaking out a hula popper one day , and slaying the largies on it, from the dock,from then on ,my grandpa' would have American customers bring them up with them to the camp, 'cause you couldn't get 'em locally yet. Man, i must be gettin' old :lol: