Float Steelin' Down The Saugeen.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Float Steelin' Down The Saugeen.

Post by Moosebunk »

FLOAT STEELIN' DOWN THE SAUGEEN.

Had never fished an actual "trout" opener weekend I don't think. Probably because of past place and time? And certainly can't recall being excited to do so either... but, this year was a little different.

After an invite and last minute decision to join Len and our friend Luke, not one of us got much sleep upon leaving the Ottawa area shortly after midnight for our overnight drive to the Saugeen River. Ten years had passed since I did any float fishing in Ontario, (never for rainbows) and the thought of trying my luck for steelies did make me feel rather young and restless.

The boys having drifted this Georgian Bay crick a few years now, over time I had heard a number of stories about their rainbow trout fishing through one long and quiet stretch of the river.

It intrigued me for sure. To see some place new, breaking away from any rumored steelheading crowds and to do it from a raft seemed perfect. Over twenty years I've quite enjoyed days on the water floating other rivers and lakes from a belly boat, this Saugeen with it's quick current but easy rapids appeared it would provide a great stage to kick the flips and try the fishing luck.

Once on the "Geen" I quickly realized the treat this would be. Passing by anglers while leaving town it was made evident by some looks and comments that we were quite envied. Within a half hour or so we would be on our own, and other than one drift boat and one canoe passing us by, it would remain that way for the rest of our trip downstream.

The river itself was absolutely beautiful. Water levels were about a foot below seasonal although there was not one stretch I considered hazardous in the least. In fact, it was mentioned to Len and Luke several times over that the WarCanoe could have handled much, if not all of this length, and especially not a problem had the season's levels provided their usual depth. It certainly got the wheels turning.

The float itself was really cool. Sun out most of the time but the northwind off Georgian Bay, it was a little chilly now and again. We stopped in plenty of areas and even did a little hiking around here and there in search of bows. Once, my float dropped while "walking the dog" down the river. The float drifting in front of me, it was fun to steer while flowing above it from tube controlled only by my flippers. I lost that fish though, in fact, I lost most during the trip. Fishing from the tube you miss a little scenery while watching the float or casting hardware into fishy looking pockets along the way so, stopping ashore to cast good looking water seemed to bring better odds.

Len's two crafts were amazing for this style of fishing. Each having capacity for 1200+ pounds, they easily handled our payload. The thought of these things on a river like the Sutton for a week... oooohhh yeah me wanna!! So maneuverable by paddle and fins, riding high and dry and super made, they're like floating in personal Lazy Boys. This said, my craft with it's 400 pound capacity was real gnarly and comfortable too. Two or three precise kicks with one fin and it'll spin 360 in seconds. Below the knees, feet are submerged, the butt takes a little splash, but otherwise I was high and dry as well. Not having to worry about paddles and being able to quickly go one side of the river to the other kicking the feet, the arms were always free to fish. It's a choice float tube for a day or overnight trip.

This year the fellas and I didn't see all that many trout, especially in lower sections. They were used to a couple dozen in past trips but this time around with the waters low and real cold things just didn't quite go the same way I guess. Anyways, end of it all our float on the river was awesome and nobody took a skunk, there were rainbows for all. Hopefully, any trips to come the fish will make it up to us in better numbers. For me, this first round best goes to the new experience of it all. Drifting the Saugeen with a couple friends and taking in a whole other kinda fun on the water, it was quality from top to bottom. Thanks to Lenny for making it happen.

Bunk.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Float Steelin' Down The Saugeen.

Post by Troutskiii »

Nothin beats floatin down a river! Beauty fish and pictures, stellar report like usual Bunk!
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

Man that looks fun, best part is getting away from the crowds.

May have to try one of them tubes someday.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

WOW! Thank you for sharing!!! I always enjoy your reports!!!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great stuff as always, 'love the pics!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Wow! Looks like a nice trip. Glad you had fun.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

chappee77 wrote:May have to try one of them tubes someday.
Small pack back lakes and rivers like the one we just did, impossible to beat their portability and use for fishing. Much easier than carting in any boat, motor or even paddle canoe, and hands free fishing while mobile with the fins means more time casting. I could see Plunkett and you in these things easy... tearing up the trout. :wink:
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Must be sooo peaceful. I wouldn't ever want to drift back to reality if i was floating down that.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Awesome pics Bunk - looks like a fun trip.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Awesome post! Those Huron and Georgian Bay tribs put the Lake O tribs to shame in terms of quality of experience. Sure, the fish might not be as big or as plentiful at times, but it's a much more pleasant experience. Thanks for the report! I miss living in that area
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

The Scaddens are awesome crafts! Caught many fish out of Lens Rampage!

Looked like a great trip Bunk!
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Awesome report bud, and great pics!!
Cy
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

looks like a blast!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Sure as Sh#t I'd have a hook embedded in the side of them in minutes lol! Looks fun though!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Thanks fellas!
Lenny wrote:Awesome post! Those Huron and Georgian Bay tribs put the Lake O tribs to shame in terms of quality of experience. Sure, the fish might not be as big or as plentiful at times, but it's a much more pleasant experience. Thanks for the report! I miss living in that area
Is this the same Lenny from that other site? :wink: