Gar Season?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
howie
Participant
Participant

Gar Season?

Post by howie »

Hey,
Thought I'd have some fun sight fishing for Gar on the Ottawa this season. Threw a senko at one last year and it grabbed it but I didn't manage to hook it. Going to make up some rope lures I found on-line and give those a try.
Question though: is there a season for gar? I checked out the Ontario fishing regs; they're not mentioned anywhere as far as I could see. Do they just fall in to what is stated for Northern Pike? I gather gar might be elusive until the water warms up anyway but would appreciate any good info out there on rules for targeting these freaky fish. Also grateful for any tips, etc.
Thanks.
Howie
howie
Participant
Participant

Re: Gar Season?

Post by howie »

Sorry Fellas,
Next time I'll search first; post second. Saw some good legacy fishhawk info that helped.
Essentially:
Gar Pike follow Northern Pike in fishing regs.
Hookless lures or "gar flies" are illegal in Ontario. The how-to instructions I found on-line attached a length of frayed rope to a large hook to which ones line is attached so perhaps this is a plausible loophole.
Cheers,
Howie
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Gar season does not follow pike season. They're not even the same family of fish. Gar is open year round on the Ottawa River. Have at 'em! They're a blast.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Yannick Loranger wrote:Gar season does not follow pike season. They're not even the same family of fish. Gar is open year round on the Ottawa River. Have at 'em! They're a blast.
Thanks Yannick. Much appreciated. Come to think about it, carp are not listed in the fishing regs either. Yet it shows year round season for other species. The regs just perhaps aren't that complete when it comes to some of the less popular species.

After reading a bit more, I'm not quite sure if the rope lure idea is actually considered bad form or not. Some posts seem to suggest such. I try and abide; don't target fish that aren't in season etc even though I'm only ever catching and releasing when on the Ottawa. (When I moved here from Manitoba I was surprised I didn't have to use only barbless hooks anymore).

Itchin' to get fishin'.

Cheers,

Howie
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

While the "rope" lures are technically legal in Ontario, if you happen to break off, the gar is as good as dead as the rope lure will be permanently tangled in its mouth. A number of us prefer to use bunny strip lures with a #10 treble (de-barbed) well back. The thin diameter of the wire will even penetrate bone, giving you a decent chance of landing them.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Todd B. wrote:While the "rope" lures are technically legal in Ontario, if you happen to break off, the gar is as good as dead as the rope lure will be permanently tangled in its mouth. A number of us prefer to use bunny strip lures with a #10 treble (de-barbed) well back. The thin diameter of the wire will even penetrate bone, giving you a decent chance of landing them.
Appreciate that advice Todd. I hadn't thought about that aspect. Will dump the rope lure notion and explore that which you recommended - although not a clue what a bunny strip lure is...

Thanks for this perspective and the tip.

Cheers,

Howie
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Minnow swim baits with a treble hook and stinger works well. With their hard mouth you snag them more than hook them in the mouth. Also you dont need a leader as their teeth are round and not serated. A good flouo is sufficient.
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Much appreciated Larry. Gonna give this a go - and have the camera ready!