Bass Pro No Go

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Bass Pro No Go

Post by River Monster »

Stanger wrote:I have first hand information (supposed to be confidential) that Cabelas has applied for their building permit with the city. Let's just keep this between us... ;)
That must mean there is a set of plans out there... :wink:
- Rick Ozga
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Two or more months ago when I was a Tanger Outlets there was a big sign in the field that said future site of Cabela's.
:D
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

eye-tracker wrote:Two or more months ago when I was a Tanger Outlets there was a big sign in the field that said future site of Cabela's.
:D

Hey Sheldon!!! :D

Glad to see you're still around, long time no see! :wink: 8) 8)
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Well if they put in a full blown Cabela's store great, but if the decide to put in anything that only offers what the Canadian Cabela's website is like I don't foresee them lasting very long.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

TheMaverick wrote:
River Monster wrote:Cabelas will still be opening a store.
Ohhhh! and how would you know? ;)
Because it was posted here way back hehe.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

My dad has been to the store in barrie twice and both times hes said its nothing special at all and the prices are not good wasn't happy with going their at all.

Brian
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Oneeleven wrote:
I hope this is true. They carry lots clothing for fishing for women that other places just don't carry. This makes Tia a happy girl 8)
Tia,
I have a pair of convertible pants I purchased from Cabela's before they were cool, some 19 years ago and they are still in great shape zippers and all!

So looking forward to browsing the store.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

smitty55 wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
Ohhhh! and how would you know? ;)
Because it was posted here way back hehe.

Cheers
More likely because leading engineering professionals within consulting firms intertwine their services on a daily basis, and because privileged and confidential information is only intended to the people whom are addressed, I will give you the benefit of doubt in saying, construction will go forward because you had said it here first Smitty hehe!

That being said, I’ve seen projects go on hold for years, and that only after a 66% submission.

I can see the hunting crowd and apparel seakers being happy, but as far as fishing tackle, the Canadian version of Cabelas flat out sucks. To each his own.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

TheMaverick wrote:I’d be curious to know what numbers the Vaughan store is producing in comparison to its US stores.
That being said, Bass Pro successfully expanding to Ottawa was a long shot Imo.
The Vaughan store is one of their most successful in their whole chain.

RJ
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

As RJ said, the Vaughn store WAS one of there more successful outlets, but no more. Independent retailers in that area have rebounded after the honeymoon with BPS wore off. After establishing themselves in the area, the Vaughn store laid off their more knowledgeable (and most expensive) managers and staff and as I understand it service and inventory has reflected that.

This information comes from multiple reliable sources.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

And that seems to be the going trend.

If I want advice on something, I rarely ask the people behind the counter at certain stores.there are a few that know what they are talking about but if they aren't there, I turn to forums or first hand experiences of people I know.

I wasn't expecting much from BPS here to be honest. They would try to bring in what the locals want but after a while, it just goes downhilll.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

The topic of service is always brought up in these types of conversations. Personally, I think service is over rated. There's obviously certain high end goods that require service like a boat purchase, electronics, firearms, bow's, ect.....but the majority of the stores inventory is just shopable merchandise. Most packaging has what you need on it and if you do the slightest bit of homework, you'll know what you're looking for.

I have to laugh at the guys that go in, but a pack of swivels, a pair of rubber boots and $30 rod combo and are disappointed with service. I just treat them like a retail warehouse that has a good instore inventory that is hands on.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Markus wrote:The topic of service is always brought up in these types of conversations. Personally, I think service is over rated. There's obviously certain high end goods that require service like a boat purchase, electronics, firearms, bow's, ect.....but the majority of the stores inventory is just shopable merchandise. Most packaging has what you need on it and if you do the slightest bit of homework, you'll know what you're looking for.

I have to laugh at the guys that go in, but a pack of swivels, a pair of rubber boots and $30 rod combo and are disappointed with service. I just treat them like a retail warehouse that has a good in store inventory that is hands on.

I think most guys that complain about service are the type that have done their home work and when they go shopping for the product they are confronted by the sales peoples that try to hard and have very little knowledge not only about whats in store but what else is out there..
THE BEST YOU SAY???? Amazing..... :roll:

Why is Canadian Tire selling Gloomis Rods? The staff have no idea what they have in their hands and I'm not 100% sure they fish very much..
Sail is a different animal, you have experienced staff, prostaff days, which is the best day to go if you have questions about the product and most of those guys visit this site and fish the clubs/series locally.
It's best attribute is being in Ottawa, not far from the 417 and in the "mall"..

But it's a store that runs out of some products half way through the season :roll: and having to juggle between the odd weekend fishermen and the more serious angler makes for some interesting rod/reel selections.

Paddletales may seem like THE spot that all serious angler visit and it is but it's also somewhere someone with very little experience/knowledge and get all the information you need.
Just because you watched a few videos on youtube about ScottMartin and his many products doesn't mean that's all there is out there, :P
Can't forget all the events that they put on, I attended this years seminar, it was great and I learned quite a few things.

just my .02$

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Markus,

While I agree with some of your points, I have issues with some of the others. I am not a person that would spend $30.00 on a rod (I'm not saying you were making me out to be one) and then complain about it. My frustrations come from Sail. Some people (most actually) know what they are talking about but there is one man that works there that is super nice but knows very little about what they sell. Well, at least what I am looking at. I asked this gentleman if Sail was going to bring the new Zillion in as I would have loved to check one out. His response was their spring order of Abu had just come in and he wasn't sure if it was in there or not. Just in case you missed it, a Zillion is made by Daiwa and has been for years.

I said Zillion four times thinking he was confusing it with a villain rod but he insisted it was Abu. I lost my patience and left.

Another friend stated he wanted to see a Steez and then was told it was the best reel on the planet. When asked why, the guy (different guy) said well look at the price!!! Really? How bout stating its 5.4oz and made out of magnesium to keep strength and reduce weight? How bout the spool is super light and tuned for XYZ (I don't know much about the steez line), how about it is buttery smooth on the retrieve?... The fact is, there are more expensive baitcasters than a steez and there are more factors that make the "best reel on the planet" than a price.

My point is mom and pop shops know most of their product inside and out because their livelyhood depends on it. As much as I would have loved to have a BPs here, I doubt I would have gotten any better answers from the 16 year old behind the counter.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

The problem with this is you'll be hard pressed to find a sales individual that knows everything, about everything. While I may know a whole bunch about bass fishing and the gear used for it, weather it be low or high end I'm lost when it comes to fly fishing gear, trolling with riggers ect. Sure I could explain to you about X-Ship & High Power X Blank design but, I'd be hard pressed to tell you which weight a 185 grain fly line is, or which shooting tip to go with for fishing switch. Everyone has their strengths and everyone has their weaknesses.

Walk into most places and you are either faced with young students who have a basic knowledge of the sport or a 60 year old retiree who used to fish the odd weekend 20 years ago. These places have a very very hard time trying to find knowledgeable staff.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada