Best Polarized Sunglasses?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mb_fishing
Participant
Participant

Best Polarized Sunglasses?

Post by mb_fishing »

Hey fello Fish-Hawkers,

I'm looking into buying a good pair of polarized sunglasses. I'm looking for them to cut right through the water like it wasn't even there. I'm also looking for them to perform regardless if it is sunny or overcast. Price point anywhere from $100-$250.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Best Polarized Sunglasses?

Post by StarTzar »

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
mb_fishing
Participant
Participant

Post by mb_fishing »

@StarTzar...thanks!
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

I've recently upgraded to Maui Jims and I'm extremely happy with them.

The MJ sunglasses I bought, World Cup, came with the HCL bronze glass lens. Super nice, super clear. If you're looking for something that takes all the glare off the water, these are what you are looking for. Costly yes...but quality comes at a price. 8)
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

By the way, those links above are good but things change over time. Heck, I posted in one of them and have changed my glases since. Had you not asked again, I would not have been able to recommend my new Maui Jims to you!

It's good to post even when the search function is working! 8)
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

X2 for the Maui Jim's. I brought them into Paddletales because I saw them at I-Cast last year and they were the most comfortable glasses I've ever had on. I got a pair for myself and their performance equals the feel.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I used Oakelys for years and was pretty happy with them, Upgraded to Costa Permit 580's this season and have been amazed with them, well worth the money!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

Still find you can't beat the Oakley's. In my case I need a prescription and they are one of only two company's in Canada that make there own prescription lenses for an exact fit. They even have angling specific polarized lenses.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I may hav posted this before but I've had a a few brands over the years. Maui Jims are comfy and they may have something that would fit my needs. Their lenses are great though. I have a set of Revo mini guide glasses with the water lense now but still prefer by fishing specific Oakley straight jackets. The fit my face perfectly and allow no light in behind them.

That is the most important part. If you can cut the glare that comes in behind the lense, the polarized lense will get the job done even better. My oakleys do that and the shallow water lense would almost be perfect for what you are looking for. If you want a lense that will bring out reds and greens in the vegetation and will be a little darker than the shallow water lense, check out the Vr28 lense. I almost bought another set
of the same glasses with these lenses but figured I would try something different. I should have just stuck with Oakley .

Costa gets good grades because they are glass lenses but I have never tried them.

To me, it really doesn't matter what you end up with as long as they have a quality lense and for your face well.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Costas.

RJ
kickurbass
Participant
Participant

Post by kickurbass »

Me i use the brand liquid!
They are one piece sunglasses made in aluminium, self adjustable and you
Can also put a prescription lens on them!

I have very sensible eyes, i keep my sunglasses until its dark outside
Even on rainy days i have them on, if i dont i have a major headache at the
End of the day!!
Since i bought those sunglasses no more headache
And so comfortble!!
Bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!
Pigeon Inlet
Participant
Participant

Post by Pigeon Inlet »

Costas Hands down... be sure to get the 580's.. I prefer the glass lenses.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Can you get prescription Costas in the Ottawa area? Anyone know where?
I can get prescription Maui Jims close by. Anyone have a favourite model?
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

If you need prescription glasses, your best bet is to find a frame that you like. It should wrap around so that ther is no light coming from the sides. This will cut the glare that comes in behind the lens.

Then take the frame and go to a quality optician who does custom work. I need to wear glasses - can't wear contacts. I have been using the same optician for many years. I bring him the frames and he fits in lenses. The lenses are scratch resistant, shatterproof, and polarized. I select the tinting that I want. Last year I had the red mirror finish put on.

Cost is more for the lenses and not the frames. I buy the frames on-line. Still cheaper than buying prescriptions from maui-jim or oakley
mb_fishing
Participant
Participant

Post by mb_fishing »

Thanks for all the contributions guys! @xped..I agree technology changes so quickly it's good to revisit. Looks like it's a race between MJ's, Costas and Oakleys. Will need to try some on to see which are the most comfortable.