Looking for Gatineau River Catfish around Kirk's Ferry

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Looking for Gatineau River Catfish around Kirk's Ferry

Post by Shivaya »

Hi guys!

This is my first post aside from my introduction post. I understand no one is just going to give fishing spots to a newbie, but I was hoping maybe you guys could help me with some guidelines. I have no experience with bottom fish, only with bass and pike, so any tips would be extremely appreciated.

Last weekend I went fishing on the Gatineau river, dropping off the boat in Kirk's Ferry. My girlfriend caught a small catfish, so I know there are catfish around. At this point, I want to go get that small catfish's Grandmother (and then release it).

From what I've read, worms or dead sucker minnows on a circle hook, with a 1 oz egg sinker 18" above it casted to the bottom seems to be the way to go. It would help me a lot to be patient if I knew I was casting it in a spot that has the potential to hold fish.

Being used to fishing for pike and bass, I usually look for underwater structure and try to fish its transitions. Does the same apply for catfish?

Any other tips you guys will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Nic
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Looking for Gatineau River Catfish around Kirk's Ferry

Post by joco01 »

First. Were is that ferry?

Gatineau river hold so many species

Frome cat,,sturgeons,,walleye pike musky,,and so on. Even brown trout,,,rainbow and ouaoauniche, friend just caught a few ouaoaunich on the gatineau,,,cant say where,,but not close to here! But for cats,,,its good just about all over, i got friend that have cottage on the gatineau about 4 km below wakfield. And do good for cats there frome shore,,,i know that do good up paugan falls.. Its fishing. I hit victoria for cats we did very good on some nights in the past,,,but the last 2 time not mutch,,,last week,,,we caught only 3 small one and an american EEl that was it!

Good luck
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Just search kirk ferry and funny its about where my friend have is cottage,,so he those good for cats frome is dock on cantley side of the river!,,,where the golf club is...
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

That's pretty cool - thanks for your reply!
Do you know what your friend uses as bait?
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Worms only i think!

But try shrimps
Or make your own bait,,chicken liver in garlic stuff like that
Cats are not picky!

And if you like fish fry,,cats is very good! To many never try it before,,,,,,everytime i gave some to eat they went mmmm hahah,,,its great to make fish showder,,etc

Good luck
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

Awesome - Merci Beaucoup!

Now I just need to know where to cast and I should be all set!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

If there is current I find a no roll sinker better... The best bait is what is local.

Worms do well but pig fish are more likely caught on fish. Minnows are not allowed in QC so I would recommend mackerel chunks. You can usually find the frozen at a grocery store and cut them in chunks.

Also I like using circle hooks for cat 2/0 to 4/0.
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

What about Suckers and Ciscoes? I have a bunch left over from ice fishing and I know we are allowed to fish them when dead... would catfish bite on that?

Now, if we look at the image below, is there a place in particular you would want to try fishing?
Do I necessarily go for bays away from the current as I would for pike? Do I fish transitions? Flats? What depth?
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-05-22-15-57-05.png
Screenshot_2015-05-22-15-57-05.png (561.66 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I know of 10+ lb'ers up closer to Farm Point. Seen them landed with a hot dog someone saved from their lunch. Off the bridge in Farm Point. That is also one of the great shore fishing spots in the whole valley. From frogging bass and pike to bottom bouncing for walleye to dead sticking cats. That area is second to none for shore fishing.

Pretty damned good out of a boat too. Just be SUPER careful there are more skeg eaters around that area than any other navigable area I have ever seen that will pop up out of 60 fow. Worse than Des Chenes on the Ottawa... by FAR.

Let me know if you want more info. I have been fishing that area since 93.
Moraine
Participant
Participant

Many dead Gatineau River Catfish around Kirk's Ferry

Post by Moraine »

I actually have a catfish question. I found a pile of dead ones just up from the water line, each with a hole in the middle of each one. Does anyone know what would do this? I assume a fisherman would not catch about 15 or so and just throw them on shore...It is also near Kirks Ferry. Thanks, if anyone knows anything. They were all about a foot long.
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

Thanks CPrince! I've only been on this forum a few days, but I have to say Kudos to everyone for not being snobby about fishing spots/newcomers. You guys are awesome!

That being said, farm point is easily accessible from the boat drop in Kirk's Ferry. It's on the same stretch and only about 5 km up river so I will definitely check it out next time I'm there. Would you say around/under the bridge would be a good starting point for cat fishing?

Also, I know about those logs.. It's unreal how many there are floating around out there. I have a shack up in Kazabazwa so I'm familiar with the River, but I've never seen as many logs as the Chelsea/Cantley stretch. By the way, I've found the river up in kaz nearly impossible to fish, but that's a story for another thread!

Moraine, I don't know, but that's indeed pretty weird. What do you mean a hole in the middle? Like on it's side where there could be a lamprey bite, or a hole all the way through?
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

There is a boat launch in Farm Point (Left on River Road when you come down from St-Clement). Parking at the daycare/school across the street.

The little River Road bridge that spans the Meech Creek outlet that runs along the river is a great place to start and finish for cats. Go between the road bridge and train bridge... then out into the river and back.

Gold!!! (With whiskers!)

Many, many more spots but that is as good as any cat spot that I know of... it is also a great walleye spot. Not going to get monsters, but certainly eater sized ones.

BTW... it isn't so much the logs I am talking about (They are bad enough) but the huge apartment building sized rocks that shoot up out of nowhere when you are in 30 to 60 FOW! Just when you think you found a nice lane, your outboard starts to twerk and impeller shoots gravel and mud like Miley Cyrus with a gastrointestinal bug having a seizure.

Kazz is a hell of a\ fun place. Battle the Ukrainians and Russians going after sturgeon AND the rocks and logs!

Craig
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

Oh Cool!

I will definitely try that. I will use a bunch of cut up suckers from the ice fishing season on a circle hook. I'm excited!
I know what you mean about the rocks. They are unreal. We should start putting buoys at some point!

That's funny you mention sturgeon in Kaz. A friend of my dad's was jigging for walleye around my cottage and caught a sturgeon that was about as big as him. It seems they are out there... maybe that's the fish I should be concentrating on bottom fish when I'm up there because as far as pike and bass go, it's been a bust!
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Sturgeons

We caught big ones at work(paugan dam) and see some huge one coming and huging the dam itself,,cool to see! And have caught nice ones on the gatineau river on pointe confort raod,,and in bouchette! Dow the rapids there!

Nice fight for sure!

Gatineau river is not a river that have a lot of fishing pressur,,there some great spots,,but there also long area where there not mutch,,weird river!
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

I did hear about the Rapids in Bouchette being really good!

I think that around where my cottage is there isn't much. We practically have to go up river towards those rapids or down river towards lac ste marie.