Frog Rods

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Frog Rods

Post by Jimmy_1 »

In your opinions what are the best budget friendly frog rods on the market currently?
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Frog Rods

Post by fishin mission »

In your opinions what are the best budget friendly frog rods on the market currently?
ok so you catch a freekin carp the size of my truck and now you want to fish for frogs??? I don't get it !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Check out 13 fishing Omen series.

The are not technique specific but get pretty good reviews for the price.

But the better questions is what is "budget friendly"?
BobbyJordan
Participant
Participant

Post by BobbyJordan »

You won't find a better frog rod than that loomis posted on here. I bought the same one last year, but paid about 300 plus tax (unless my wife is reading) :lol: . I used a wright and mcgill senko/frog rod for years and was happy with it for the price of about 100 bucks + tax. You wont find a decent rod anywhere for less than that. If you can get that loomis for a few bucks more, I wouldn't even think about it.
Shivaya
Participant
Participant

Post by Shivaya »

I use with a loomis GL-2 Jig and worm. It's 200$ and in my opinion it's more than stiff enough, but that's the perspective of a working class person who can't afford to have 12 different bass rods :lol: I also use it for jigging and jerkbaits.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

In my opinion the Loomis frog rods (there are 2 models) are hard to beat. Dobyns also make a very good frog rod as well in the same price range as the Loomis. For the more budget minded there is an Abu Veritas rod that is technique specific for throwing frogs that is under $100.00. While it's not in the Loomis or Dobyns class, it's still a very good blank.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

I use a Dobyns Savvy SS735C (mag heavy/ extra fast action) and have great result with it. I also use my Dobyns Champion 735C (MH/ extra fast action) when I want fish a lighter rod. These are fast tips, some prefer some slower tip so it's kinda up to you on what action you prefer.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

And this is why I asked what your price range is. Saying "affordable" is about as subjective as sensitivity is from person to person.

I too have used the savvy 735 as well as the Champion 735. I personally prefer the champion version as I have had a better hookup ratio with it over the Savvy. Now, at roughly $300 for the Champion 735, I doubt most people would consider this affordable.

IMO, there are better rods for frogging than the savvy series version for a cheaper price. It's a good rod and will work well for frogging but the omen and the Veritas both have a great following and get rave reviews.

If you are truly only looking at using this for frog fishing, the Abu would be great. If versatility
Is the name of the game, the Champion 735 will be a better buy as it would make a good pitchin stick and heavy Texas rig rod as well. It's even recommended for swim baits up to 1.25 oz. I've used it for pitchin 3/8 -1/2oz jigs as a spare setup and was really impressed. The reason it was a spare is that I have a dedicated rod (DX745) for this technique.

Frog fishing has nothing to do with sensitivity do spending a lot is not need. What is needed is a stout rod that transfers to backbone quickly yet has enough give to not pull the frog out of the mouth of the fish. The stoutness is required because you are usually fishing slop or junk and a 2 pound fish can bring in 20 pounds of weeds with it.

Adam
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Daiwa TDT661MHXB
Daiwa td tr 701mhfb
I use both of these ... not exclusively for frogs... but they work great and are very budget minded.

I also use a short stiff spinning outfit for frogs... not so much for catching, but searching, looking for that boil or lilly pad move and then I swap for the baitcast. It is just something I have done and at times it works for me.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:
But the better questions is what is "budget friendly"?
Adam,

For me, "budget friendly" is whatever is within the price range I have established as being within my budget for something I want.
In my case, if I was to want a frog rod, I would answer $400. That amount is "budget friendly" for me.

For the record, I use a Dobyns 746DX as my frogging rod. (Not for all budgets)

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-746c/
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

And that is my exact point Frank. $300 for a frog rod may be normal or cheap to some people while others look at you like a dear caught in headlights.

Regardless of price point, there is a frog rod in almost each category so it really depends on what Jimmy wants to spend.

I've got rods from $100 on up. I plan to buy an NRX. I tend to spend more on the techniques I use a lot and less on techniques where sensitivity is not the key factor or if it is a technique I won't use often/just trying out. If I like it, I'll sell the rod and buy something better once i figure out how often I will use the rod.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

James,

Out of curiosity, will you actually be throwing frogs on this rod?
I recall you mentioning you wanted a frog rod for carp.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks guys for the awesome input
I plan to use it for chucking frogs for bass
I bought the Loomis Teetron was selling
Cant wait to use it....with my quantum burner I got recently.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That will be a slick setup jimmy
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Good choice Jimmy.