Champlain North

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
PMac
Participant
Participant

Champlain North

Post by PMac »

Yesterday I was able to drag Eddie away from the store to head down to the northern end of Lake Champlain and launched out of Chazy River Marina http://chazyrivermarina.com/index.php which is about an 1 1/2 from the Cornwall border crossing

We didn't really know this area very well and it is pretty big water at this end of the lake. The weather was very bizarre as we were surrounded by some very serious dark clouds a good part of the day but we only managed to get a little wet. Being the big goof that I am, I forgot to bring my rain gear. The wind blew pretty hard at times and there was a very evident notice of cold and warm winds colliding throughout the day. Water temperature didn't break 60 the whole day.

We caught some Largemouth shallow but nothing on any size. Once we got into the open water we started looking for humps. The winning combination of the day was fishing jerkbaits in about 8 feet of water close to some deeper water. No giants but the good ones we got had some pretty big bellies on them.

Ed was fishing his jerkbait on a new Megabass spinning rod, Shimano CI4 and a Megabass Vision 110. I was using my trusty St. Croix Legend Elite baitcaster, Shimano Curado E and a Rapala Shadow Rap Deep.

We would of had a half decent five fish limit but the wind really put a damper on things. I will say that being in Ed's Ranger was pretty key to us being able to fish at all. The only advise I would give if you are going to head down this way, is don't go in a small and/or light boat. When it kicks up on this lake, it can get pretty nasty. Also be careful with your licensees for this area. We both have our New York licensees but there are sections where you have to have your Vermont license. All in all a very fun day with my old friend and hey.....we were fishing for Bass legally :)
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Champlain North

Post by lape0019 »

Nice Report Pete!

Less than a month to go over here!

Man I can't wait!!!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Are you saying the fish had big bellies , or me, or both???? It was fun. You really appreciate a 21' boat though when the wind kicks up (and it did kick up) and you are in the middle of a big body of water.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

toobinator wrote:Are you saying the fish had big bellies , or me, or both???? It was fun. You really appreciate a 21' boat though when the wind kicks up (and it did kick up) and you are in the middle of a big body of water.

Oh the fishes belly. I really thought he was talking about you Ed.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Awesome report Pete!
Way to grind it out when the tough gets going boys!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice!!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

As usual, great report Pete. Those must have been morning shots of the fish as it doesn't look like the weather had kicked up yet.
But really .. Ed with a jerkbait .. he must really like you .. how many did you have to land to convince him to take the tube rod out of his hands :shock:
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Really glad you guys had some down time and made it out! Looks like a sucessful outing :)
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

toobinator wrote:Are you saying the fish had big bellies , or me, or both????
I'm a contender for sure ... and I know a few more.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice shootin boys!

I was blown away running a 20 footer last year how much difference 2 feet made. Crazy!

RJ
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Great report Pete.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Awesome report. Thanks for sharing.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Lived about 2500 feet from the American border on lake Champlain/Richelieu River. Amazing fishery.

As I always understood (too young to take real advantage of) that the VT side in Missisquoi and Maquam bay is the more bass laden part of the northern Champlain. You guys ever fish it?

Craig
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I fished that area 7 years ago as a non-boater in an FLW tour event. The guy I fished with in that area didn't know sick'em from fetch'em though. We only fished areas that had at least 1 New York shoreline. If it's Vermont on both sides you need a Vermont license which we didn't have. One of the cool things about the Onix is that it tells you which license you need, at least on that lake.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken