Victoria Day Giant

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
T-Bone
Participant
Participant

Victoria Day Giant

Post by T-Bone »

Not your traditional May 24 weekend for me this year... I decided to hit some new water off the Yucatan coast in Mexico, and it paid off big time!

94" Sail :shock:

Also got a small Yellowfin Tuna that went right into the deathwell and had some misses too.

You can tell a sailfish strike from other fish...no teeth marks on the bait...just some Bill burn ;)

Here is a toothy swing and a miss...

The baits used were rigged Ballyhoo fished on the surface on outriggers and straight out the back of the boat...

Ballyhoo

all rigged ready to go

whoodatguy
Participant
Participant

Re: Victoria Day Giant

Post by whoodatguy »

That is incredible! Congrats on the beautiful catch!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Wow! Looks like a great time. Nice fish!
PMac
Participant
Participant

Post by PMac »

Awesome fish!!! Always wanted to try that
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Wicked Tony!

What was the fight like? Compared to that Shark I watched ya play in Nova Scotia?.. :lol:

RJ
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Think it may have been somewhere that I caught just the top half of the sail in that picture Tony and I thought marlin right off the hop. For some reason I find that sailfish has a really meaty neck to it and I almost expected that to continue on the through the body, making it much more like a marlin. Guess what I'm trying to say is, that's a great shot of a rather girthy sailfish. Deceiving at first.

And to think man, you're holding the fastest sportfish on earth. Gotta love their ripping speed and acrobatics. Marlin comes next, then the wahoo dood! :D
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

That shark in NS may have been the most heartbreaking battle ive ever seen. lol I'm glad we can laugh about....tony took it like a champ. I can still see the second shark coming in sideways with it's mouth open which was followed by a boat load of anglers with their mouths open. lol

Tony, I've been back to this pic a few times to enjoy it. Truly and awesome fish! I love the color of it. Congrats again on a fantastic trip south.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Awesome fish...and not too common at this time of year. My Dad hooked into one in Cabo about 6 months ago, must of jumped out of the water a dozen times.
T-Bone
Participant
Participant

Post by T-Bone »

Nothing I have ever caught would compare with the fight on the Sailfish...The Blue Shark battle out East was just pure heavy brute strength as they can use their massive pectoral fins like big planer boards under water...you simply can't budge those fish. I remember sweating my butt off and the veins almost bursting under the load I had on that rod outfit..I had it maxxed out and still couldn't gain much. The sailfish on the other hand had it all! Speed, strength, acrobatics and used it's beautiful colouring to try to hypnotize you and create an escape plan :lol:

The sailfish after feeling the sting of the hook went absolutely ballistic! It churned the surface of the water around it to foam as it danced on it's tail again and again in all sorts of directions and was an insane sight to behold. I wish I had someone video recording it, because the speed and strength that the fish had was........ok there are no words, but I am smiling as I type this just remembering the chaos :D

It needs to be on all your bucket lists, gents, that's all I can say. 8)

I do need to seek redemption for the loss of the giant Shark that day when another shark found the bait that slid up above the steel leader, you win some and you lose some...the losing has a funny way of motivating redemption more than winning though doesn't it? I'll be back!

Tony