What exactly is the Castor River home to?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What exactly is the Castor River home to?

Post by Steady Eddy »

I moved to Embrun just befor Christmas. I work out of province and might get to fish once a week on my week home.
Last spring I was lucky enough to to land a decent carp, back she went. Now, I've tried various web sites, mostly city run, and they say they're 27 species of fish in there. As I fish primarily from my mother in laws backyard, I would think I might have seen a bass or two over the years since she's lived ther. To no avail. I'm just hoping one of you fine members could help me make sense of the other 26 evasive fishes! Thanks in advance!
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
kingmarc
Participant
Participant

Re: What exactly is the Castor River home to?

Post by kingmarc »

crappie, bluegill,perch,walleye,bass smallmouth and largemouth , pike, muskie, mudpout, catfish, carp are the ones that comes to mind
Heisenbass
Participant
Participant

Post by Heisenbass »

As you might expect from a river like the castor, there are several fish species but none are extremely abundant except for maybe carp. I've seen some bass, some pike, some walleye, some catfish, a decent amount of bullheads... But if you want to fish a more productive system, take a 15 min trip to the Nation River! :)
Martin
BAA 2016 - Team 22
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Heisenbass wrote:As you might expect from a river like the castor, there are several fish species but none are extremely abundant except for maybe carp. I've seen some bass, some pike, some walleye, some catfish, a decent amount of bullheads... But if you want to fish a more productive system, take a 15 min trip to the Nation River! :)
I've been there once, all we caught were catfish.

E
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I grew up in Russell so I pretty much spent the first 15 years of my life fishing the castor. If you're looking for decent numbers below the dam in Russell is a good place to start. You'll catch walleye, pike, smallmouth and just about every bottom feeder you can think off. I've never caught anything too large there though. Maybe, 3-4lb walleye at the most. However, don't let that discourage you. I have caught 9lb walleye through the ice above the dam and below the dam all along the Castor from Russell to Embrun. A lot of these places are private access now so unless you can find somewhere to get your boat in you're pretty much SOL. If you launch on Casselmen you can rip up to where the Nation and Castor meet. That can be a good spot for walleye and pike. I even managed to pull an American Eel from there once. Personally though I tend to stay near the rocky areas. The water clarity is much better at these places and in my experience produce more fish.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Heisenbass
Participant
Participant

Post by Heisenbass »

avidangler wrote: If you launch on Casselmen you can rip up to where the Nation and Castor meet. That can be a good spot for walleye and pike.
I can vouch for that. Cast under those hanging trees!
Martin
BAA 2016 - Team 22
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

As for species you'll find
Panfish
Smallmouth Bass
Rock Bass
Pickerel
Sunfish
Bullhead
Muskie
Carp
Sucker (at least 4-5 different types)
Perch
Walleye
Crappie
Mooneye
Fall fish
Chanel cat(the odd one closer to the Nation)
and various types of minnows that are likely part of the 27 you've mentioned. It should be noted that there is no large mouth population in the Castor and fish like Muskie are very rare above the dam in Casslmen.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

I clearly need to explore beyond the 60ft of shoreline in the backyard. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks, guys!
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.