Some Spring SLABBIN'.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Some Spring SLABBIN'.

Post by Moosebunk »

They're fun and tasty yes. It's all rather crappie and I get it.

When the float drops, the crank stops or the jig pops over and over and over again, one can't help but grin. For some years reading about spring online crappie reports from a place in the north, I'd honestly sit and wonder what the big deal is..? These are panfish eh? They are panfish. Only Freakin' PANFISH And yet to a serious some who love 'em, they're worth going to war over. Well, I myself wouldn't ever call in poop troops for craps but... I would call some friends aboard to enjoy 'em.

During spring I'd say crappie fishing is pretty well the southerner's equivalent to the northerner's walleye. If given the choice, personally I'd rather peg 10 to 50 bigger walleye over double that in 20 to 100 craps any day, but when you can't get that kinda local gold action, the craps really do make for a pleasurable alternative.

Before the first trip out on this 2015 softwater, while at the bench tying laker jigs, the fingers got excited enough to spin a couple patterns liked for craps. After doing that, there was now a really good reason to get out the ultralight set-ups and wet the boat. Early season around here; this year like recent others, I took a couple full days and a couple short afternoons to pound on a couple hundred of these prolific pannies. It was easy-peasy and quite the joy for myself and friends. That's what crappies are about ... And being on the water in May fishing anything really, that's hard to beat too.

New greenery at it's finest.

400 year old crappie eater.

Threesome of slitherin' love.

Rusty Craw & Oh Canada.

First outing afternoon warm-up.

Slay day with my old hockey and highschool friend Paul.

Salmon Simon up from the south for a cold front hot bite.

Now with laker lakes opening up, gar still in mid swing, maybe a little bass and skis come their openers and some big summer work and fishing vacations to prepare for, a plan is to take on those other things and put the crappies to rest ti'll next year.

There will always be more fishing to come. Enjoy your season.

Bunk.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Some Spring SLABBIN'.

Post by curls »

Great report and awesome pics. I've gotta get into the crappie action next year for sure!!
Laker_Taker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Laker_Taker »

Not too shlabby!
When are you going to call me for a fish again Bunk? I'm ready coach, put me in! I know this great lake for splake ! :roll:
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Wow! Nice catches
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

SLAB-BA-DA-BA-DOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T-Bone
Participant
Participant

Post by T-Bone »

Nice Black Crappie fishing...in my view that leads to only 3 words

Cajun Fish Crisp
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nice haul o craps Bunk!
Great pics too...
I'm_A_Drifter
Participant
Participant

Post by I'm_A_Drifter »

I equate walleye and crappie equally. Both are challenging to find, fun to catch. Especially on the slip float. 8-)
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Thanks fellas.
Laker_Taker wrote:Not too shlabby!
When are you going to call me for a fish again Bunk? I'm ready coach, put me in!
There's always a seat for ya Fra. It's just up to you to fill it. 8)
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Nice crappies there lad.........

thanks for sharing.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

More and more of those little fish-ettes showing up on this site... I hope it is a passing fad!

:P :lol: :wink:

Every time I do see them, after I get over the shame of catching one, I marvel at the pixel pattern they have and vivid greens... neat!

Looks like you had fun!

Craig
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Spring is not complete without dishing out some time in the shallows for craps. Nice ones there Bunker!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Hey I see you found my missing hubcaps :lol: thanks for sharing!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

cprince wrote:More and more of those little fish-ettes showing up on this site... I hope it is a passing fad!
:lol: :lol: The novelty wears off pretty quick once other seasons open up but that's probably because fish like gar, lakers, eyes, pike and sometimes other trout just appeal more. I will admit though, with a buddy or two in the boat, a day of pounding craps is really good fun. Tho that said, remembering one time alone... Found them on a mid bay weed clump, anchored, stayed four hours, caught a fish every cast it was the most consistent I'd ever had it. Guy in a black G3 was doing donuts around me for at least two hours keeping a respectable distance and never quite casting into the spot, although his face was flushed red he wanted to so bad. The bite didn't end, I didn't have to go, but I honestly got bored of it and that dude was so happy when I finally yelled for him to come over and anchor where I was. I can fish other fish a week solo, catching far less but never tiring of it. Pannies not quite so!!!
Tip-up wrote:Spring is not complete without dishing out some time in the shallows for craps. Nice ones there Bunker!
I hear ya dood. As said above, they're a fun necessity and the few times I was out with friends this season were especially great days. Tried them from the float tube as well, but that was the only swing and a miss. :oops: