Dropshotting

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Dropshotting

Post by Jimmy_1 »

So I have drank the Koolaid and want to try this out this year...

Now from what I gather spiining rods work best...about a 6'10???

What are good baits and weights?

What kind of rod/reel set up do you use?

I read the GL2 and E6X work like magic...just lift and voila!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dropshotting

Post by RJ »

It's tasty Koolaid!

7'2 Cumara spinning.

6 or 8 lb fluro mainline.

Weight depending on current and wind speed. 3/8ths to 1/2 oz.

4 inch Jackall Cross Tail Shad has accounted for every Smallie dropshotted out of my boat for 2 years.

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

RJ wrote:It's tasty Koolaid!

7'2 Cumara spinning.

6 or 8 lb fluro mainline.

Weight depending on current and wind speed. 3/8ths to 1/2 oz.

4 inch Jackall Cross Tail Shad has accounted for every Smallie dropshotted out of my boat for 2 years.

RJ
So I have been told....I am ITCHING to go bass fishing....
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I hate dropshotting but am told I will learn to love it.

I use a Dobyns 702sf when I do use it this year but rod and reel seem to be personal preference. Ed uses baitcasting gear and a lot of pro are going this route as well. Don't know if it is a trend or not, but it seems to be about 40/60 for those using bait casters now.

As for the plastic, I have some roboworms I am looking to try this year and have also used some "Set the Hook" products but have never had too much luck. I am hoping to get out with some people use dropshotting as their main technique this year but we shall see.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I use a Kistler MH Finesse Special spinning rod and a Pflueger President 2500 series reel. The rod may seem beefy for finesse, but it's got a great soft tip action for dropshot, and a whack of backbone.
Reel is spooled with 15# braid and joined to a 8# CFX fluoro leader (see Ed for this). Leader length is about 8-9 feet, of which 1-2' is the dropper to the weight. Alberto knot to join leader to mainline.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

What type of hook is used?
Is it texas rigged etc

Getting me some Jackalls when Im next at Paddletales......
And take a "look" at the E6X and GL2 drop shot rods....they seem "idiot proof" based on right ups and reviews...
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

I use the Gloomis IMX 822DSR paired with a Shimano Stradic CI4+. As for baits I use a variety of baits from 3-6 inches in length. I use a 1/0 gamakatsu hooks with 6-8 pound sunline flouro.
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I use Gamakatsu drop shot hooks 1/0 & 2/0
Here is how I tie it ... tag line length varies.
(Click on image to enlarge)

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks
Butch420
Participant
Participant

Post by Butch420 »

Hey jimmy I dropshot a lot and use an nrx dsr822, but have also used both the rods you are looking at and much preferred the e6x, just my opinion though...
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Dobyns 702sf (med-light, fast action). If in bigger current like St. Francis then a rod a bit more powerful.
Lews team Lews Gold Spin in 3000 size (more ipt).
Fluo 8 to 12 lbs
Gamakatsu swivel shot octopus drop shot hooks (no line twist with swivel)
Angler's Choice kill shot baits
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Seeing your a newbie get your self VMC dropshot hooks they come on a swivel to stop line twists... Tie main line to one end( hook point up) and the other end is to set your depth... Oh one last thing I'm using bell sinkers not drop shot some thing but way cheaper in my eyes
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

You can also tie an overhand not at the end of your tag end and pinch splitshots.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Dropshotting does not work.

I would not use a SIMAX great lakes drop shot rod with a shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 series loaded with 30lb power pro and a 8 ft 8lb flouro leader
I would definitely not use xzone slammers (currently not in production) on a 1/0 pr 2/0 gamagatsu hook.

I refuse to use a megabass orrichi drop shot rod with a shimano stradic ci4 reel, berkley twitchtail minnows as the fish refuse to bite anything like this.

Also resist the temptation to use a custom built (by me) St.Croix legend tournament baitcast drop shot rod with a shimano chronarch 50 mg reel
spooled with 8lb sniper FC Flouro, owner 1/0 circle hooks and Jackall 4" flickshake worms wacky rigged.

NOPE not gonna do it - doesn't work. Waste of time. Not going to spend that much time energy and money on 5lb largies and smallies.

This thread should be locked, so peolpe can go on with their lives.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Nobody drop shots right!? :lol:

After going back and forth between setups this season I'm back to using the same one I was using 2 years ago, identical setup as RJ
7'2" DS Cumara/ci4+ only difference is I use a 10lb PP SuperSlick main line to a 6-8lb FC leader. Most of the time when it comes to weight I'm using 3/16oz & 1/4, I'll go to 3/8oz if I'm fishing a real windy day or 30+fow, in heavy current situations I'd just rather drag a tube.

Ive also noticed that when talking with fellow anglers that drop shotting for many seems to only be a deep water technique, for me it's the total opposite. I'll throw a drop shot in less then 5fow on big flats, isolated rock anywhere really. I had a day last season fishing Smallies, the fish were positioned on the biggest rocks on the flat and with pitching a drop shot I could put it right in their face which would leave them no choice but to eat!

A few favorite baits are the crosstail shad,twitchtail minnow, zoom finesse worm but really any smaller 3-4" Shad/Worm style plastic should do the trick. Only hook I use is a Gamakatsu #1&1/0 depending on the plastic I'm using.

Of the two you listed the new E6X would be my choice, got the chance to mess around with one the other day and it's a great rod for the money. I'd also take a new look at the 7' M Shimano Zodias, I'll be using one this season as a second drop shot setup paired with fluoro.
Last edited by BradGuenette on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada