The Great Pannie Pursuit (I'll try not to bore ya!)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

The Great Pannie Pursuit (I'll try not to bore ya!)

Post by Oneeleven »

Lately I've really taken a penchant for pannie fishing. Of course the 'king' of the pannies is what I am after first and foremost; that being crappie. Mostly just in urban settings like the under Mackenzie King bridge, on my way home from work. 8-) But during these excursions, I discovered that panfish are darn fun! So I asked (begged) Marty to go out on Sun and actually target them. Not just crappie, but pumpkinseeds, perch and rockbass too. Oh and if I could have gotten a bluegill? The *whole* lake would have heard me whoop and holler like I'd landed an 8lb smallie on opening day! :lol:

The day started out well with this nice pike on a light combo and one inch ripple shad with the tiniest jig I had in the box. He had obviously just feasted and was feeling quite sprite!

Shortly after I pitched the same micro-combo before a dock that had a drop off in front of it and voila! Crap-tastic success! There were a few hanging around this spot. I guess it had the golden ticket of shelter, weeds, rocks, and depth.

Afterwards Marty and I wanted to go find some pike and maybe some nice walleye, and were off to explore the lake. I switched to a square bill suspending crank in a sunfish pattern and game on. While casting out into some flats *Pop*.. my rod tip bends and as I'm reeling in I think feels like a bass... but no.... it's a rock bass! He was a heafty lil' dude!

Strangely enough tho.. I think the most thrilling catch of the day for me was a pumpkinseed. Yes you heard me.... a pumpkinseed. Now.... I'll admit.. while hunkering down and tryin' to get the job done to catch a (god d#@^#554) bluegill... I may have cursed a few of these fish.. not gonna lie... :oops: but when I hooked this fish, again.. on a 2 1/4" squarebill, I thought it was a crappie.. colour coming at me, shape, feel of the bite..... well nope. It is the biggest pumpkinseed I've ever hooked into. What a gorgeous fish!

Two more weeks till bass opener, but I tell you.... pannie fish sure does keep me happy! I will be angling for channel cats next Saturday! I hope to have a great report to share with you guys next week!

Tight lines! Tia
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: The Great Pannie Pursuit (I'll try not to bore ya!)

Post by TheMaverick »

Crappie Shangri La!
That pumpkinseed tho :shock:
Awesome report!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

:handgestures-thumbup:
Have fun fishing for Cat fish.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Haha! Thanks Mav and ShawnD :D

I know a report about pannies, most people don't care about. I even thought of giving it a click-bait title like "OMG... The giant muskie!!" then continued the sentence.. "likes to eat these pannies I caught!..." :lol:
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Great mixed bag of pannies! :D
Cy
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Love the pannies and bonus fish ya get while targeting them on the ultra-lights. Great report Tia :)
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Pannies are blast!! Awesome report!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Awesome report .. not sure how I missed this.

Now for the catfish report!
:)