Lakers from a canoe Charleston Lake PP, possible?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lakers from a canoe Charleston Lake PP, possible?

Post by Steady Eddy »

As the title suggests, I will be staying in the park for 3 nights next week. I plan on renting a canoe and going out alone, as the wife has a fear of canoes. I'm just wondering if anyone has some experience in that Neighborhood, as I've never seen the place. Are there spots deep enough for lakers within ones guys paddle distance from the park? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lakers from a canoe Charleston Lake PP, possible?

Post by trexellunge »

You can try the steep-deep Western shoreline (the opposite shore
just Southwest of Democrat Island).
The depths here plunge to well over 100 feet very quickly, and if you try a fairly heavy jig tipped with a salted minnow or worm,
you can slowly work it up along the steep wall or other humps you find in the area. Might help to have a portable depth finder.
Regardless, you will know when it's deep when your jig keeps dropping within a stone's throw of the shoreline.
Some Lakers might still be reasonably shallow, but the water is warming up quick. The lake here is frequently protected
from westerly winds, so it might work out well for your light canoe. The western side of Democrat Island itself and the surrounding waters also have
steep drops close to shore, and it's not too far to paddle. Landed my largest Laker ever in Charleston off Democrat Island a few years back.
You should purchase a lake map with detailed depths-structure if you don't already have one; Charleston is a big, complex lake, but can be
very fun to fish. As I already mentioned in a recent post, the Lake Trout fishing has declined in Charleston over the last few years, but it doesn't
mean you can't find some fish if you work hard. Good luck. Here's a fish-hawk link to a rough map of the lake.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/Map_project/ma ... leston.gif
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

Incredible! I was not expecting quite response, and I sincerely appreciate it!
Thanks, Trexellunge!
Steady.

tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

Trex gave you great info and a good area to fish...but you dont have to go very far from the park to get into good laker water...If it gets windy..the paddle back from Democrat wont be fun unless you sneak up through the islands. Paddle straight out from the beach between Whitefish and Pike Isands and head up past Pickeral island a little bit and you're in good laker water... you get into pretty deep water pretty quick there! I usually jig with 3/4 oz Kastmasters with a piece of purpley blue prism tape on one side...slather on some fish scent of your choice and jig away! White tube jigs have been known to catch the odd laker as well...good luck! Chris
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Like Chris said, soon as you get past Pike Island on the north shore you're into deep water.You could also try trolling a spoon at first or last light closer to shore.

Here's a map that might help you some.

If you magnify this you'll get an idea of depths
Good luck
Smitty

Straight shooter
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

You guys are awesome. Honestly!
With all this help, I'd better get into some fish, eh? Haha!
I'll be taking the GoPro, just in case Lady Luck is on my side.
Thanks guys, cheers!
Steady.

trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trexellunge »

May lady luck is on your side Steady Eddy! Hopefully the breeze will be soft so you can explore the many gorgeous fishing spots in your canoe around this big lake; it's nice to get in among the maze of islands and take in all the natural scenery; sometimes the fish may even bother you. :wink: If the wind blows hard, definitely fish the closest deep water you can find though; even in a larger craft, you will often struggle with boat control on this lake.
As another post suggests, I also like using heavy spoons like a tipped Kastmaster, whether jigging or trolling the deeper waters.
I normally use a big single hook rather than trebles; seems to hold fish better and much easier on the trout if you release any.
I have a GoPro also, so definitely share some footage whether you catch fish or not. The water is pretty clear, so you should be able to get some good underwater clips too; hopefully as a big Laker is being netted! Cheers.