Spincast?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
clint
Participant
Participant

Spincast?

Post by clint »

Just wondering if anyone knows why spincast reels seem to have fallen out of favor?
When I was growing up my dad and all of his friends all used spincast reels, but now they only seem to be geared towards small children. I always thought they were the best of both worlds, distance of spin and accuracy of baitcasting...
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Spincast?

Post by lape0019 »

There are still times where a spincast will be better. Many people still use them for panfish and bass but if I had to guess, I would think there is more accuracy with a baitcaster and the drags have gotten better in spinning and bait casting over time.

That's my opinion anyway. I look forward to hearing others.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Never used one, therefor I wouldn't know.
I do have a few questions, what's the average drag pressure? Can they accommodate braid?
I've always thought they would lack in distance and seem rather fragile.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

I tried one for the first time while 'showing' a little girl how to fish. Well.... that was embarrassing. It was horrid. Never again.

JMHO of course.

:lol: :lol:
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

Where did you hear that spincasts are falling out of favor? They have their applications...you're not going to win many frog battles with a spincast reel...but on the other hand, id rather fight giant smallies on a spinnning reel any day of the week!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

A spincast reel and a spinning reel are different beasts all together.

a spincast reel is mounted on a rod with a reel seat similar to one used for a baitcaster reel. It also is mounted on top of the rod (for the most part as there are a few models you can mount on the bottom) where a spinning reel is mounted on the bottom.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

tr21chris wrote:Where did you hear that spincasts are falling out of favor?
I don't see them for sale very many places... and when I do its usually low end zebcos or the like.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The Zebco ones are actually one of the better ones on the market. Pflueger still make a good one as well but the concept and engineering hasn't changed on them so the prices remain low.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Spin-cast = Push button for the older folk reading this.
I'd say no.... But there is a Scott Martin Challenge where they use little Barbie and Spider-Man rods lol
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

There are more than a few tangled up bird nested Zebco 33's in the bottom of the local lakes. Can't think of a good reason for them to exist.
Often bought by well intention parents, for kids learning to cast, but most kids do just fine learning a spinning reel.
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

I apologize, I assumed you were talking about spinning reels...
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

Oneeleven wrote:I tried one for the first time while 'showing' a little girl how to fish. Well.... that was embarrassing. It was horrid. Never again.
I learned with these so i feel like it would still be second nature to me. I've taught all of my nieces and nephews with the spiderman/barbie combos, Granted only 1 has really picked it up.

My girlfriend grew up with spinning reels and she can't get the hang of the spin cast either.

Since i first posted this I've read of a few people still using them. One of the main advantages I'm hoping to figure if is actually an advantage would be using them at night. I think it would be more user friendly in the the dark than my mediocre baitcasting skills.
If i come across a decent one on sale somewhere I'll probably grab it just to try this.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

They would have an advantage over baitcast gear at night IMO but no more so that spinning gear.

This is an excellent topic though and your findings would be interesting
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

It may also a regional thing... I borrowed some rods off a buddy in Saskatchewan and all he had were spincasters.