Fluorocarbon and Fluorocarbon leader material??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fluorocarbon and Fluorocarbon leader material??

Post by RJ »

3 break offs? Ouch. What were the lb test ratings on main line and fluro Norm?

RJ
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

CN wrote:I was just talking about flouro leader vs straight flouro with plowjock. Yesterday on the Big Rideau I broke of three times.
I had purchased sunline flouro leader and started to use that instead of maxima flouro leader. I had also used seaguar trout and steelhad leader.

I broke off three times. Never had that issue with Maxima leader. I thought about using straight flouro or mono instead. Abraasion resistance is not the issue know strength is.

I will need to be more attentive to how I tie on with the flouro leader but at this point I think I will use straight flouro .
Hey Man, I think your problem is not that your leader material isn't strong enough - I think your issue is that you are not using the CORRECT knot for tying your leader to your braid mainline. You need to switch to the San Diego Jam (or even the double san diego jam)

If you are not using a proper knot for the Flouro leader, it will literally cut itself - i.e. your knot will slice through itself and you will have what seems like a break off happen.

This happened to me constantly in 2013 with Seaguar leader material in the 12 lb. test until I changed my knot after I researched it a bit - I have not had a single break-off since that time two years ago.

See here for the knot you should be using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tuJMvzcNWw http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/s ... -jam-knot/
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Sorry, I erred in my previous post - that is the knot for tying your flouro leader to your bait/hook.

I realize that is not the same as tying to your braid mainline. I used the wrong terminology but what I said I think still applies. If you want an easy knot for tying braid to your leader, try these, and use that San Diego jam knot for tying your fluoro leader to whatever you are using as your bait:

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/surgeons-knot/

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/

AND, I use this one as it is easiest and quickest, and have yet to have a failure yet - the Seaguar Knot: http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/seaguar-knot/
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

OutdoorActionOntario wrote:
CN wrote:I was just talking about flouro leader vs straight flouro with plowjock. Yesterday on the Big Rideau I broke of three times.
I had purchased sunline flouro leader and started to use that instead of maxima flouro leader. I had also used seaguar trout and steelhad leader.

I broke off three times. Never had that issue with Maxima leader. I thought about using straight flouro or mono instead. Abraasion resistance is not the issue know strength is.

I will need to be more attentive to how I tie on with the flouro leader but at this point I think I will use straight flouro .
Hey Man, I think your problem is not that your leader material isn't strong enough - I think your issue is that you are not using the CORRECT knot for tying your leader to your braid mainline. You need to switch to the San Diego Jam (or even the double san diego jam)

If you are not using a proper knot for the Flouro leader, it will literally cut itself - i.e. your knot will slice through itself and you will have what seems like a break off happen.

This happened to me constantly in 2013 with Seaguar leader material in the 12 lb. test until I changed my knot after I researched it a bit - I have not had a single break-off since that time two years ago.

See here for the knot you should be using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tuJMvzcNWw http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/s ... -jam-knot/
I agree. The mainline--leader knot is crucial!! I have used the Alberto knot a LOT in the past 4 years or so, and it has yet to fail on me.
I also ensure I wet the knot thoroughly when sloooooowly cinching it down. Same goes for the Palomar or San Diego Jam to connect lure to leader - slow, wet, and smooth. *insert joke here*
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Uni to Uni for me for years now. If you have matching diameters of line you should have no issue.

RJ
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

25lb Seaguar abraz-x for flipping and pitching. 6-8lb stren flouro for drop shotting (can't beat the price!). I prefer a triple surgeon knot for all my flouro to braid or nanofil setups.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

I've been using Seaguar Invizx 15lb and 20lb as my leader for fishing lake trout for the last 3 years and I've only once ever had a break and it was my fault to begin with. I had caught a few trout on that jig and never bothered to check for damage and retie the jig.

Actual leader floro might be better, but I've caught up to 18lb trout on the Big Rideau along with a few accidental pike in the 7 to 10lb range without issue and see no reason to change. It works for me just fine.

Just for reference, I do a uni to uni for the line to floro and a uni knot at the jig or occasionally snap/snap swivel if I'm fishing something else.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Any application under 10lb. test it's been Drennan Florocarbon for me. Short leads for casting/jiggin/drifting that need 12lb test and it's still Drennan or Seaguar. Running long leads of 20+ feet trolling it's Seaguar Abrazx or Invisx in 12 to 20lb, and anything heavy jiggin' and casting it's the regular Seaguar Floro in pound tests 15 and up. Tried using the 20lb Abrazx on Lake Athabasca last fall and it didn't work out. Took an easy beating troll-jiggin jigs over rocks. That said, the 15lb Invizx and Abrazx have both held their own on big 20+ pound lakers while ice fishing.

Used Drennan tho for the finesse stuff since getting on it nearly a decade back. British Company making line since the 60's. Slightly thicker diameter in some tests, yet this stuff is the best I have used.

Uni-to-uni until this year. Caught one of the Lindner doods recommending the Albright for unequal line diameters.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

RJ wrote:3 break offs? Ouch. What were the lb test ratings on main line and fluro Norm?

RJ
RJ, Mainline is 15lb Fireline crystal Seaguar 10ln trout steelhead leader, or Sunline 10b flour leader.

OutdoorActionOntario wrote:

I use a uni to uni knot. I have never had this many issue with using Maxima10 and 12 lb leader material, or straight flouro (Sunline FC Sniper 10lbs).

I would like to think I know how to tie a know but I may have to change up how I tie them using the Seaguar or Sunline leader material.

The breakoffs happened at the hook (palomar knot). It could be the hook(s) had a sharp edge/nick from bouncing around in the plano box. I will be going through my hooks to check them.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Polomar knot is not the greatest to use with flouro in my experience. I switched to a UNI knot for tying the hook to the line and have not had many issues yet.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Weird. Polamar in the only knot I use for tying baits to Fluro. Never had an issue. :lol:

Great topic!

RJ
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:Polomar knot is not the greatest to use with flouro in my experience. I switched to a UNI knot for tying the hook to the line and have not had many issues yet.
Agreed, there are better knots for fluoro that will reduce your chances of the knot binding on itself when tying, hence resulting in breakoffs.
Heat is always a factor when tying fluoro, get it plenty wet before cinching down.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!