Tube Jighead help.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tube Jighead help.

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Went through a tough period of loosing 5 smallies in a row Saturday pm. and blame the
jig head I was using or my hook set. The ones I did hook often had the hook pierced through the cheek.
I was using 20lb braid with 10lb flouro leader, and maybe was a bit anxious and ripping the hook out of their mouth ?

Asking advice on what your favourite way to hook a 4 inch tube for consistent hook sets ?
This is for fishing smallies in a shield lake ( deep ), tossing tube in 5-35 fow.

My favourite tube jighead was a Venom 4/0 , 1/4 oz tube jighead , with the hook eye rotated 90 degrees to the shaft,
and think 60 degree bend in shaft. I can't find these locally anymore. Bass pro only goes to 3/0.
http://www.basspro.com/BiteMe-Tube-Heads/product/74250/

I have tried Texas rigging a tube, but use that mainly shallower for largies.
Owner phantom tube jig heads I found real awkward to rig.
Think normal tube jig heads the best.
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
nanookofnj
Participant
Participant

Re: Tube Jighead help.

Post by nanookofnj »

Have been using 5/16 or 3/8 on 4" tubes to great success on the St. Lawrence for years. The heads themselves are long thin tear drops in shape. Even in shallower water the SM don't seem to care how heavy the head is, and very very few misses. Hard to find, I purchase from Wacky Worm out of PA who also sells his own brand of Senkos and tubes.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I use the tear drop design as well. More important than that for hooksetting is a good wide gap in the tube jighead. After that I go light as possible, find I get more bites if you can get the tube to death spiral on the way down.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I have the Bite Me tube jigs in stock as of right now, but when that's depleted, they're gone. Bite Me has gone out of business. I'm looking for a replacement jig in the 3/8 to 3/4 weights. In the lighter weights I have some really good alternatives.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

toobinator wrote:I have the Bite Me tube jigs in stock as of right now, but when that's depleted, they're gone. Bite Me has gone out of business. I'm looking for a replacement jig in the 3/8 to 3/4 weights. In the lighter weights I have some really good alternatives.

Ed

So, I was going to recommend Bite Me tube jigs, as I bought a bunch over the winter in various sizes (1/8, 1/4, 3/8) and have been going through the different sizes and having quite a bit of luck. They have built in rattles which I like. Have caught a lot of bass on them thus far this season, and was having good success with Pike as well. They are tough jigs, was very pleased with them to be honest.

Now Ed has to tell us the bad news, the company went out of business. Oh well, I needed an excuse to make the trip out to Winchester anyways ;-)

Cheers,

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Thanks for replies.
Went to a Matzuo 3/0 rattling tube jighead, only thing the CTC carried at the time.
The 3/0 hook been working on the 4" tubes, just pierce the hook through the tube body if not straight.
Still prefer a 4/0 hook to decrease the number of times a smallie completely swallows the offering.
Will still make a trip to Winchester, though, to see what Ed has.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

the best i've used SEM outdoors..hand made fellow anglers. landed a huge musky this weekend and the hook was still straight.

http://semoutdoorscom.ipage.com/store/page2.html
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

cndbasshunter wrote:the best i've used SEM outdoors..hand made fellow anglers. landed a huge musky this weekend and the hook was still straight.

Great ! Those TJ-1s are exactly what I m looking for. :)
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

great...tell them Ryan sent ya :shock:
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

EagleEyesFlash wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:the best i've used SEM outdoors..hand made fellow anglers. landed a huge musky this weekend and the hook was still straight.

Great ! Those TJ-1s are exactly what I m looking for. :)
Those do look like good product - thanks for making us aware of them (I hadn't heard of this company before.)

cheers!

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Brent!!!

For smallies...

Mustad tube jig heads.

Why?

Because they have the biggest barb. :wink: :lol:
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Ive used mustad, northlands and a few other brands, I havent noticed a difference in hook percentage. Tubes have one of the highest hook up rates for me once I figured out a couple things. 1) have the drag set tight then loosen as you fight the fish. (lost a bunch of lake trout icefishing before I figured this one out. 2) sharpen the hook after every few casts, if you are dragging the tube for smallies doesnt take much before you lose the point and you dont get the hookset you want.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

i caught a few big musky using the SEM tube jigs and the hook stayed straight :) very nice hook they use, i believe mustad.