Gatineau park report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gatineau park report

Post by CyrusG »

I got my year Quebec license yesterday and the plan was to hit up a new lake with my bro. After doing some research, we picked one of the larger lakes that some of you guys have mentioned already :lol:

The lakes in Quebec have never let us down, after launching our jon boat and going a little ways from shore the fishing started off great, lots of 1-2 pound largies and huge gils were competing to take our soft plastics like piranhas! They were busting all over the surface every where we went. After catching a pile of largies within the first hour i hooked onto something with my big soft plastic, it was fighting like a bass but lo and behold it was a huge healthy 10 inch gil! After releasing it, i thought i'd give my ultralight a try, i put on a tube jig and the second my tube hit the water another huge gil took it. I thought i may have been lucky, but this kept going on every cast. The average size of the sunnies in this lake seemed to be around 8-9 inches! It was rare to catch one under 7 inches, usually its the other way around! I could have filled a bucket of 9+ inch gils within an hour or two if i wanted, there was that many. My bro took out his fly rod, and couldn't even strip in the fly most casts before he was hooked on one.

After catching too many sunnies to count we went back to the bass, and they were biting just as good as they were before. The action never seemed to slow down, we wouldn't stay in the same spot for long but everywhere we wen't was full of 1-2 pound largies. They were some of the healthiest I've seen, everyone of them had a gut. Near the end of the day i went back to catching sunnies so i could get a little fish fry, even though we were at the opposite side of the lake it was still packed full of huge gils! Everyone of them had no worms, i don't keep sunnies from the rivers and some of the lakes around Ottawa because most times you'll find a bunch of worms in their meat, this lake had the cleanest sunfish I've seen. It didn't take long before i had 5 perfect eaters on the stringer, everyone over 10 inches or under 9 was released. Near the end of the day we hooked into some bigger than average bass, the biggest of the day for me was right under 3 pounds but my bro topped it off by catching a bucket that was right under 5 pounds.

1 was already filleted before i took the pic, but theres 4 of em :lol:

My bro with his biggun, just under 5 pounds.
Cy
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gatineau park report

Post by RJ »

Great fishin fella. Nice Largo.

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice fishing! I still find it fun wrestling with a Bluegill.

Nice bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice report!
That Large mouth is huge!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I gotta go see that dude from SAIL today methinks. Need some stuff.

And yeah, great largie and fishing.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Thanks guys, here's a decent smallie i caught in the city yesterday. :D

Cy
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

LiplessCrank wrote:Thanks guys, here's a decent smallie i caught in the city yesterday. :D

Nice one !!!! and there fish in them hills!!