Mississippi Lake questions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Mississippi Lake questions

Post by LouisD33 »

Looking for info on this Lake. My daughter just moved to the area so i will like to fish here every now and then. I like to fish bass but also like to eat some fish and understand that there is a good Walleye population. I'm not looking for any honey holes but more along the best times of year for different species and general areas and techniques. Where are the launches, my daughter lives on I believe the 9th line rd.

Thanks,

Louis.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Re: Mississippi Lake questions

Post by Grizzly Grub »

I know there is a launch at Johns Marina which is right on 9th Line, I've never used it, so not sure if there is a fee or not. Baitcasters offers a launch as well on Hardwood Road just off Concession 7, for a fee. I've always used the free launch at the Mississippi Bird/Wildlife Sanctuary, (1091 Concession Rd 9A), it may be a bit out of the way if your coming from the 9th line as its on the southwest/Perth side of the lake. I believe there is a launch closer to town as well, don't know exactly where, maybe someone else on here will chime in.
ImageImage
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I'm not sure the exact name of the tiny little road way but on a huge bending curve on 9th there was a launch. Not sure if it is still open or not. I don't know if baitcasters still uses there launch for people. If so it is a bit further down where 9th turns into Tennyson Rd area. There is also a town launch and if you plan on fishing here a lot maybe get your daughter to buy a season pass and that way you have a great launch with parking and it is a cheaper way to do it.

Now if your daughter needs home auto or life insurance tell her to go see me at the cooperators in town. I will be more than happy to help out.

Lastly if you are going out for a fish pm me and I could head out with you and show you the lake or we can meet at a launch and chat.

Cheers
Peter
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
lone-fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by lone-fisher »

Boat Launches. The two most common I use are
1- There are two side by side right in Carleton Place. Good launch, decent parking, fee $7.00.
2- End of Lake park road, at the restaurant. Not bad, plenty of parking, Fee.... a few bucks to launch.

As for walleye population. The lake is pretty shallow and not the shorelines are starting to get heavily weeded. In the many years I have fished here we managed to pull out 3 and that was early spring. Bass and Pike are plentiful along the shores if you use a Texas Rig and just slowly troll along.

Either way it's a good and decent sized lake to get your fish on and have some fun.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Baitcasters sold their property on the lake and the new owners of the location aren't letting anyone use the launch.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

lone-fisher wrote:As for walleye population. In the many years I have fished here we managed to pull out 3 and that was early spring.

You're just not lookin' in the right spots!! :o :o :wink: :wink:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Cyber wrote:
lone-fisher wrote:As for walleye population. In the many years I have fished here we managed to pull out 3 and that was early spring.

X2 on that one.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

almontefisher wrote:
Cyber wrote:

X2 on that one.
x3

Mississippi Lake is an incredible fishery considering it is on the doorstep of a city with nearly one million people. There are lots of walleye in that lake and with a little bit of knowledge of the lake, they are really very predictable. I have fished it a lot over the years and if you can figure out various weed lines and where they are located.....the walleye are more or less exactly where you'd think they should be based on what the wind is doing on any particular day. If it is dead calm it gets a little tougher. But follow the wind, see what weedlines the wind is pushing in to and work those weedlines. You will find the smallmouth in pretty much the same locations. Largemouth are all over the place too. Every little bay, every lilly pad patch, every dock may all have a few largies hanging around on any given day. Pike are everywhere too but vey few are > 5 pounds. Enjoy it, it is a great urban fishing lake.

Cheers

Mick
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

almontefisher wrote:
Cyber wrote:

X2 on that one.
Got a dandy 4lbr on a senko on bass opener
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Post by LouisD33 »

Thanks for all the info fellas, I'm not sure exactly when i'm going to get there but you can bet i will get there more than once.

Almontefisher,I will keep you in mind, it would be nice to get to know the lay of the land so to speak.
We will be in touch.

Thanks again

Louis.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

You can launch at the following:

Town launch located on Lake avenue East.(fee)
John's marina (fee)
Lakepark lodge (fee)
Grasshopper point, just of Hwy 7 towards Perth. (Free)
Loon Lane off 9th line Beckwith (Free)
Mcreary's camp ground (Fee)

Baitcaster's no longer operates a store on Hardwood. The place belongs to other people and is now private with no launch capabilities.

As for fishing:

Walleye and smallmouth abound in the main lake basin.
As mentioned the largemouth are found in the common areas you will find all over. King's bay, Ebbs Bay etc etc

I'm on the 9th line. :)
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Can Loon lane launch handle 17 ft fishing boat and how is the parking? Thanks.
Jimmy_1 wrote:You can launch at the following:

Town launch located on Lake avenue East.(fee)
John's marina (fee)
Lakepark lodge (fee)
Grasshopper point, just of Hwy 7 towards Perth. (Free)
Loon Lane off 9th line Beckwith (Free)
Mcreary's camp ground (Fee)

Baitcaster's no longer operates a store on Hardwood. The place belongs to other people and is now private with no launch capabilities.

As for fishing:

Walleye and smallmouth abound in the main lake basin.
As mentioned the largemouth are found in the common areas you will find all over. King's bay, Ebbs Bay etc etc

I'm on the 9th line. :)
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I personally would not advise this launch at all for anything over 16ft.
Its a very shallow launch with a big rock near it. When the water is low you can easily bang your prop if you haven't trimmed up.

Best launches (IMHO) is the one at Grasshopper and the Town Launch.

John's Marina is good but they lock the gates so its limited time.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

Jimmy_1 wrote:John's Marina is good but they lock the gates so its limited time.
they used to give you a key to the gate with your season pass. the end of the year they toss the lock and put a new one for the next year.
they also have rental slips if you just want to keep your boat in the water.