Who's the best in Canada?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Who's the best in Canada?

Post by MichaelGA »

Ha... i'm from BC

Fishing with Rod is one of my go to shows... especially if I want to learn something new.

He's not quite as well known but a great host and teacher.

Damn I'll have to change my answer too... LOTS and LOTS.... Canada is too big for just one.

Gord Pyzer ... I've learned so much from his writings that I'm embarrassed to have forgotten him.

Need to change the topic title......
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Trevor Kunopaski
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I forgot the most important of all, my Dad .... Jean-Claude Dufour for showing me how.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

StarTzar wrote:I forgot the most important of all, my Dad .... Jean-Claude Dufour for showing me how.
This is a really good comment - it really is true that as Fathers and Mothers we can be the biggest inspiration in our little one's lives.

I know that when I was a little boy, my dad taking me fishing (as well as my best friend's dad, who was just an unreal bass fisherman) those were hugely important moments for me growing up and shaped my perception of the sport of fishing to this very day.

Cheers

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Also, Big ups to fellow Bassmaster Dave Chong, one of the best Bass anglers in Canada today!

Doug Brownridge is another top angler. Derek Strub is another name you have probably heard.

From around Ottawa, Charles Sims and Nigel Touhey, Frank Ramsay and Don Jones are regular names you see at the top of a lot of tournament results and for a long time, too.

These guys all have some serious skills - I would love to have 1/10th the experience they possess.

Not only that, they are all consummate professionals and incredible ambassadors for our sport at the local level, and most if not all of them have competed in high level tournaments in the US as well.

Canada and especially Ontario has a LOT of good anglers. And by good I mean great.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Interesting topic with some cool responses. My name getting thrown in the mix made me chuckle.. :lol:

If we are talking Canada as a whole, there is only one. Izumi, hands down not even close. 30 years national TV show. Known coast to coast for his giggle landing fish on Real Fishing.

Mercer is a pure entertainer who has created a great niche for himself with his show and the emceeing gig in the US for BASS. His issue gaining popularity Canada wide is simply because other than Ontario and Western Quebec the rest of the country doesn't give two hoots about Bass. Dave has branched out to do some other stuff and that will only help build his audience if he wants to. Not sure how long he can live with that schedule!

If it was an Ontario-only deal for my money it would be Big Jim. I've spent a pile of time with Jimmy on the road doing different shows and speaking engagements. NOONE draws people like in Jim. From kids to the 20 year tournament veteran they all gravitate to Jim. It's wild to watch.

Been lucky enough to share some actual "in the boat" time and social time with all the three above, what is consistent with all of them that makes them great personalities? Two things.

1. They have charisma that oozes. That you either have or you don't, you can't create it. They hold court in every social situation they are in.

2. They are GREAT people.

No one needs any explanation to what Big Jim does on a daily basis, we've all seen it or been a part of it.

Izumi is as classy as they come, he blew my household away by sending Birdee an email congratulating her on her first Buck, completely out of the blue. Such a kind gesture.

When I did the show with Mercer he asked for my boat to be in the water as well, thus we needed a camera boat operator. Well, that camera boat operator was treated like gold and had the time of his life and was sent a great token of Dave's appreciation.

Just CLASS, all of them.

While some of the other names listed are great Bass anglers and have had some tournament success they likely want nothing to do with being "fishing personalities" and would rather go about their hobby and be left alone... :lol:

RJ
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Super cool insights from the Man, RJ.

Thanks for adding to the discussion. You're pretty lucky to have been able to fish with the top 3.

Cheers

~OAO~
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

well said....
RJ wrote:Interesting topic with some cool responses. My name getting thrown in the mix made me chuckle.. :lol:

If we are talking Canada as a whole, there is only one. Izumi, hands down not even close. 30 years national TV show. Known coast to coast for his giggle landing fish on Real Fishing.

Mercer is a pure entertainer who has created a great niche for himself with his show and the emceeing gig in the US for BASS. His issue gaining popularity Canada wide is simply because other than Ontario and Western Quebec the rest of the country doesn't give two hoots about Bass. Dave has branched out to do some other stuff and that will only help build his audience if he wants to. Not sure how long he can live with that schedule!

If it was an Ontario-only deal for my money it would be Big Jim. I've spent a pile of time with Jimmy on the road doing different shows and speaking engagements. NOONE draws people like in Jim. From kids to the 20 year tournament veteran they all gravitate to Jim. It's wild to watch.

Been lucky enough to share some actual "in the boat" time and social time with all the three above, what is consistent with all of them that makes them great personalities? Two things.

1. They have charisma that oozes. That you either have or you don't, you can't create it. They hold court in every social situation they are in.

2. They are GREAT people.

No one needs any explanation to what Big Jim does on a daily basis, we've all seen it or been a part of it.

Izumi is as classy as they come, he blew my household away by sending Birdee an email congratulating her on her first Buck, completely out of the blue. Such a kind gesture.

When I did the show with Mercer he asked for my boat to be in the water as well, thus we needed a camera boat operator. Well, that camera boat operator was treated like gold and had the time of his life and was sent a great token of Dave's appreciation.

Just CLASS, all of them.

While some of the other names listed are great Bass anglers and have had some tournament success they likely want nothing to do with being "fishing personalities" and would rather go about their hobby and be left alone... :lol:

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

OutdoorActionOntario wrote: You're pretty lucky to have been able to fish with the top 3.

Cheers

~OAO~
VERY fortunate to be able to get on the water with these guys.

Another name from earlier posts, Gord Pyzer. While I'm not sure Gord would want to be known as a "Fishing personality" he is THE wealth of knowledge. Multi-time award winning writer etc. Again, lucky enough to work on a piece with Gord recently for Ontario Tourism. When the Doctor calls your cell you answer. :lol: :lol:

He is one of the most genuine, thoughtful and courteous people I've ever met in any circle of life.

RJ
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Jimmy_1....hands down !!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

TV Personality - Mercer, Aaron Wiebe hands down...(No one mentioned Wiebe, but Hes flat out entertaining. Check out Uncut Angling on You tube)

Best all around anglers - Bob Izumi, Dave Chong, Big Jim

Best tournament Anglers - Id say list the top 10 teams in Renegade every year. That series has the stiffest competition yet. With some really tough conditions year after year thrown into the mix.

But I have to say if we all had these specific three attributes wed all be fighting for a spot on that list:

1. TIME
2. MONEY
3. SKILL
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

StarTzar wrote:I forgot the most important of all, my Dad .... Jean-Claude Dufour for showing me how.
Best answer right there! family and friends that I fish with!! No cable and no time to watch shows.... to busy fishing rather then watching!
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

All above mentioned are great ambassadors hands down!

If I had a personal choice Pete Bowman is who I would love to fish with, always get a kick outta him.

Cheers
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Izumi is Canada's fishing celebrity, hands down. Plenty guys with personalities make some money selling their brand of fishing, but none have likely ever sold more people on fishing in general, than Bob.

The best angler... well, there just isn't one. PERIOD!!! Wouldn't go so far to say there is a best anywhere, nor that having a best angler is even a possible reality. There are some great anglers out there though... some of 'em just bass guys, some just muskie, some multispecie, some great lakes, some west coast, some east, some remote guides, some TV or magazine personalities, and some just great people that may have in one way or another influenced yourself or others in fishing...