Fluorocarbon vs Mono leader for braided line

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
psuhunter
Participant
Participant

Fluorocarbon vs Mono leader for braided line

Post by psuhunter »

I have read so many different opinions on "the best line for the job" but I thought I'd ask here. Why use a fluorocarbon (sinks) leader with braided line when the point of the braided line is strength and it floats which is better for topwater lures like frogs? Why not use monofilament which also floats and is less noticeable than braid? With that said, I do attach a 5' piece of fluorocarbon to my braid because that was the "expert" opinion I read most.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fluorocarbon vs Mono leader for braided line

Post by TheMaverick »

You shouldn’t be using a fluoro leader when fishing braided line in heavy vegetation, you could, but I don’t see the use.
As for topwater, I prefer straight mono, others prefer braid.
That being said, topwater is fished in slop as in open water conditions, mono has too much stretch to be used in slop, you will most likely have a hard time pulling them out.

When tying a fluoro leader to braid, it’s more likely for open water applications when visibility is to be taken in consideration. (dropshot’ing, draggin tubes).

Comes down to personal preference, the right line in the right conditions will help you land them bigguns!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I use Straight braid for:
-Frogs
-Flipping grass
-Top water lures (spooks and or popR's)
-Spinner baits
-Swimbaits
- Jigs
I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

I'll use a Fluro leader when:
-Tubes
-Dropshot
-Senkos
-Throwing around dock with very little grass (flipping)

I really only use a Fluro leader when I'm out of the grass..

Hope that helps
Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

IMO, FC leader is used for two purposes. 1 is to get the bait down a little further in the water column. 2 is for areas where line is visible and I want a more stealthy approach.

For 1, I will use FC leader for my jerkbaits. I like using braid as my main line but will tie on 4 feet or so of FC which makes my lure sink about an additional foot. Playing around with the length and diameter of the leader will vary the additional depth you will get but for the most part, I notice a difference of about a feet when throwing something like a Ito 110.

For 2, I have not played with it much but I would tie a leader on if the water was clear and I was fishing deep weed beds dragging bottom or dropshotting.

Many people will just use FC for the mainline and I have two reels setup this way as well. These are about the only two times I would consider using a leader of any kind.

For my top waters, I use all sorts of line. I used 65lb braid for frogs, 30lb braid for my Pencil 110 and 15lb mono for wakebaits, buzzbaits and pop'rs. For me, it pretty much depends on which combo I am using to get the action I want out of the bait. I do not know anyone who would use a leader throwing a frog but I bet there are people out there. IMO the vegetation is so thick, the fish would barely recognize a line sitting in the water compared to a stray weed.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference which is quite common in fishing. My buddy throws spinnerbaits on braid as he found he loses too many fish with Mono. I use mono exclusively for spinnerbaits because I like the stretch it gives when a bass hammers it. Same with Cranks, I know people who will throw cranks on everything (Braid, FC, Mono) where as others are more comfortable with Braid or FC exclusively. The only real way to find out is to spend sometime with each line.
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

psuhunter wrote:I have read so many different opinions on "the best line for the job" but I thought I'd ask here. Why use a fluorocarbon (sinks) leader with braided line when the point of the braided line is strength and it floats which is better for topwater lures like frogs? Why not use monofilament which also floats and is less noticeable than braid? With that said, I do attach a 5' piece of fluorocarbon to my braid because that was the "expert" opinion I read most.
Well books could be written to address this but as lape0019 states, in the end it's more of a personal preference and confidence issue.

I will offer a couple of additions to what has been previously posted. Using a leader, of any type, on a braided main-line, takes advantage of the characteristics of whatever leader line type is being used while maintaining the non-stretch, strength, diameter, casting capabilities and transmission/feel advantages that braid provides. It's the best of both world, sort of speak.

As far as what type of leader material to use ... well that really is just a function of the properties of the leader material.

Mono floats so really the only time you would use it is either for surface or near-surface applications or, as the leader on a Carolina rig. The latter is the only application that I personally use a mono leader, the theory there being that you don't want to be dragging the lure on bottom but rather use the weight to get the line down to the bottom and suspend the bait off the bottom and back from the weight, using the noise of the weight and beads to attract the fish but keep the bait suspended out of the disturbance created by the weight.

I'll use straight mono for all Pop-R, walk-the-dog (Zara Spook) type baits and sometimes wakebaits, as the increased stretch in the line helps prevent me yanking the treble hooks out of the fish's yap and also helps in the subtle play that inevitably comes after.

The attributes of flouro that warrant mention are the two to which lape0019 refers, but also the increased abrasion resistance that flouro offers. If you're bouncing a jig, tube etc off rocks and zebra mussels, your braid is much more susceptible to fraying/breaking than flouro.

The downside to leaders is in the time it takes to re-tool and getting the line-to-line knot right ... once you get this, there are definite advantages to using leaders for certain applications.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Mono leader for open water top water.
Fluoro for pretty well everything else.
Find fluoro a bit tougher than braid for those nasty pike bite-offs.
Been getting pretty beaten up with swimbaits through the grass lately and almost
thinking of going to titanium.
Can see using straight fluoro or mono at times to avoid that annoying braid wrap on your rod tip. :)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
psuhunter
Participant
Participant

Post by psuhunter »

Thanks for all the information. I'll be trying some different set ups to see what I like best.