MIA Pike!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

MIA Pike!

Post by Peron »

I have been fishing some of my favourite Rideau shore locations with spinner baits and I have caught plenty of small and largemouths and last week a good Musky (hit and follow only) but I have not seen a Pike since a week or two after opening of any size. Usually I would at least have a few small ones.

Has anyone else noticed this on the Rideau or have I just been unlucky/lucky ( depending on your perspective)? I have found the conditions to be changing a lot this year.

Personally they are a favourite and I have found it odd. Heading to The Gatineau lakes tomorrow so I can truly test my luck.

RP
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: MIA Pike!

Post by lape0019 »

Caught two on the Rideau Tuesday night. Nothing to write home about though.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

In past years I have caught more snot rockets the decent to nice size ones on the Rideau " My home away from home" But this year the reverse has happened!! From my experience this year I have found them to be a bit deeper.... This hot cold hot cold has them confused!!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Makes sense. I was thinking it was the water levels but you are probably right about the temperature. I usually fish right at the weed line but I think I will try a little farther out and deeper.

Spoke to a local in the gatineaus this am and he said all gets on his pike lures are bass this year (which is all I caught today... On the small side from my Yak). The levels in the Gatineau lakes have been fairly steady and they are always clear so I think the temperature theory is bang on.

Thanks!

RP
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I caught 3-4 good sized pike,4-7lbs. under thick mats,on the rideau Wed., with 18" of water under 'em looking for largies,go figure,I thought I had good bass on at first,and the same thing on the Miss. today first 2 big fish were Pike,in the thickest cover by the mouth of the river at innisville,i'd say they are real shallow,under that thick cabbage,good size too,4-5 lber's, their kinda' fun on 5/0 flippin' hooks and 80 lb braid,they give a good fight under the veggies,like a big bass,then get slung to the boat,pretty quick. only catching them on a short string, I think by the time they eat a 1 1/4 oz. tungsten weight and a 5" creature,they don't have room to get those teeth on the line, :lol: maybe you should start punchin' mats for 'em,I've never caught so many pike fishing that technique, before this season.