Pike Lake fish report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Pike Lake fish report

Post by CNs »

Plowjock and I decided to try "new" waters this year. First on the list was Pike Lake.

The launch is rather tight. For larger (18 ft) and bigger it will be a real treat to load the boat onto your trailer. Launching was easy though.

There is limited parking. The ramp is a concrete slab. It is located right at a small dam at the end of a small creek/river.

We were told by a local fishing website owner that the lake is full of 2lb bass. So we were expecting something like White lake.

Not a large body of water, we started by slowly motoring around checking out structure and looking for weed flats, humps etc. it took about an hour to go to one end of the lake averaging 3-5 mph. The lake is deep (100feet at some places with steep drop offs not more than 10 feet from the shore. A typical Canadian Shield type lake.

Lots of humps but not much vegetation.

We were catching a few small bass nothing really over a pound. I think that the report of lots of 2 lbers was a little overstated. Plowjock caught a 1 lber that spat up a very green crayfish. I thought if that what they were feeding on then I should see if I have a creature bait in that colour.

All I had was a strike king coffee tube in green pumpkin, Hmm close enough so I nosed hooked onto my drop shot hook. I tossed in right beside some emerging vegetation in about 3 feet of water.

It no sooner hit the water when I felt a nice pull on my Simax Great Lakes drop shot rod. It pulled hard. Was this the mythical 2 lb fish that a certain website owner talked about? It stayed down until it got nearer the boat. Then we got a good look at it. Plowjock and I kid each other about needing the net when catching small fish. He took one look and immediately grabbed the net.

We usually try to knock the fish off if it isn't networthy.

I think it was

not quite 5 lbs -> 4lbs 13 oz.

I think we might re-visit Pike Lke
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Pike Lake fish report

Post by Lvace »

Thanks for sharing!! Nice largie there!
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

Supposed to be a decent walleye population in there too.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nice largie! Proves when told a lake is full of little fish, it is best to verify!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Out4trout wrote:Nice largie! Proves when told a lake is full of little fish, it is best to verify!
Brian just could have asked me any one time he's bumped into me on the water, I woulda told him straight up! :lol:

Nice bass. Yes, there's more too. 8)
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I've been up there once and totally understand what you mean about that ramp. its definitely a beautiful area and there are some small seedbeds that are shalower if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the report CN.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

The lake has a ton of big smallmouth. A lot bigger than 2 lbs.. Not great largemouth. Used to be a real good walleye lake prior to the 80's. I remember days catching 20+ walleye. Before the construction of the dam on the creek it had lakers.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Nice one Norm!

Camped there last year and had a great time. I can see why it would have been a great lake for trout. No walleye but a lot of bass and panfish.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice Bucket Norm!

RJ
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

That's a nice one!!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

We’re not worthy, We’re not worthy!
Nice one Norm ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Nice smallie Norm!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I believe I have heard there are giant largies in that lake. This almost confirms it. Nice fish for sure.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Pike lake was great for walleye, had no idea about the bass population. Fished there from the early 90's until about 2003-04 when the fish population fell off dramatically. Something about letting too much water out of the lake and ruining a lot of spawning habitat.

Definitely is a tight fit on the ramp, only ever launched a 14ft tinny from there but I can imagine the difficulties with a larger boat.

Thanks for the tip on the creature baits, might make a run up there and try my luck!

Cheers

C&F